Win96 Ver. 1.67 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerk

Boy, Win96 since I updated last month is really slow.

Trying to import from RR, software load fine, takes log in, drop downs are slow, US then Indiana, final when reaching counties it is really slow. (Trunking)

Then selecting a system and I wait and wait and wait. Then the system comes up, then I wait and wait and wait.

Never did this before.

enki042000

Premium Subscriber
I have been having the same issue. I re-downloaded the program and am still experiencing the same issue. I emailed don at starrsoft about it.

jtkinser

Premium Subscriber
Yes im trying to use it for Monroe County, Indiana and am having the same issues.. Did anyone find a fix?

pinetree

I am using it with Windows XP and it works just fine. I used it for an EDACS system the last time. I would be interested if any others are having problems.
Dave

jerk

I've had no problems with Win96 at all and I'm using Vista 64 bit OS.

Doing a RR import, it's really slow, Don ignores it and offers no updates. Just because YOU don't have problem doesn't mean there isn't one.

It's been duplicated, it's been discussed, and it's been ignored by Don...
but I'm sure he appreciates your plug. :confused:

Really, if you don't have a problem why post!
That's why some of this threads never get read, because everybody has to chime in mine works fine... Call it Toyoda syndrome. Glad yours is working, but several of us here are still having problems with no acknowledgment or update.

DonS

Doing a RR import, it's really slow, Don ignores it and offers no updates. Just because YOU don't have problem doesn't mean there isn't one.

It's been duplicated, it's been discussed, and it's been ignored by Don...

several of us here are still having problems with no acknowledgment or update.

Don hasn't ignored it or failed to acknowledge it. I've explained several times what causes the RR import "slowdown", as compared to before July 2009: the RR interface changed, and the libraries which support that new interface and which are available to my development environment are not the fastest around:
  • original RR imports (e.g. for a trunked system) involved just a single HTTP request with a single response consisting of rather simple XML data
  • new RR imports (e.g. for a trunking system) is now a bi-directional "conversation", sending and receiving multiple pieces of XML data, where that XML data is now more "complex"
  • the actual data sent and received in the new format is larger than the original format (the "more complex" above)
  • the new RR interface supports multiple "styles" for the data, one of which has much less new overhead than the others. Unfortunately, my development tools don't support the "low overhead" version, so I'm forced to use a "much higher overhead" version.
Speeding up the WinXXX RR import would involve either a) rewriting the entire import section, avoiding the "slow" libraries or b) porting all of the code to a different development environment - one that has faster libraries availble (i.e. supporting the "low overhead" style). Neither of these are going to happen in the foreseeable future: they would both take huge amounts of time, and my "day job" is currently taking all of my available working hours.

jtkinser

Premium Subscriber
I was able to speed everything up by updating my Microsoft .net framework... Check out the link on Dons WIN96 website and there is a link at the top. Hopefully this helps with your issues as well.

Jesse

jerk

Win96 works great for me on a xp pro machine, 99% of problems are on the user end.

Again I thought the thread was about "problems" must have been wrong. Works fine for me or 99% of problems on user end, does not get the problem solved...

OK tell me how you know this "fact" about the 99%
and just so you know I spend all day teaching "computer skills" to high school kids.

My .net has been updated etc, etc, etc.

kajun

Premium Subscriber
The user problems has to be worked out on his/her end. I know this because i'm 67 years old and i have been building computers for years and i've seen a few have problems with the same proggys when 99% do not. It boils down to the PC/OS/ISP/firewalls/virus programs etc etc etc.One or more of these mentioned should get the problem solved, it might be one of the etc etc etc's.. I just used Win96 6 times today & it works perfectly for me, good luck.

Again I thought the thread was about "problems" must have been wrong. Works fine for me or 99% of problems on user end, does not get the problem solved...

OK tell me how you know this "fact" about the 99%
and just so you know I spend all day teaching "computer skills" to high school kids.

My .net has been updated etc, etc, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.