WIN97/PRO-164 upload to scanner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

phildesantis

Just bought the PRO-164 and programming cable & Driver software. The computer is talking to the scanner fine...It's not a driver issue. Win97 download just fine and i was able to import frequencies in my area from the online link. I set up bank 1 with about 7 channels to test everything out. When i upload to the scanner it gives me a progress bar and then says "done". When i go to the scanner that bank is empty. I can not figure this out!!!! I know it is probably something simple...any ideas on what i may be missing? Thanks

SCPD

QRT
make sure in win 97 all banks are enabled & are actually being transferred to the scanner

phildesantis

Thanks for responding. I tried going into the Settings/Weather tab in the Win97 and enabled each bank. Unfortunately, I'm getting the same result...no transfer of channels to the scanner (after the upload says "done"). The Comm port checks out (so it seems) and everything appears (I now use the term loosely) to be working just fine....obviously this is not the case. Does the scanner need to be on, off or in some special "mode" that I'm overlooking?

n2mdk

Try checking the Extra Write Time and Enable "Readback" tests in the Configuration Serial Port menu window.
Also if they still supply that mono adapter with the cable not to use it.

Last edited:

cburgboa

Had the same issue, same scanner, couldn't get it figured out...took it back and exchanged for a Pro 97. Issue resolved.
Are you getting a status on the scanner itself? Just having the cable attached to the scanner will give you a message. Then when you begin the upload to the scanner, it'll give you a progress bar, somewhat like the computer screen's upload bar.

N1BHH

The scanner needs to powered on to get an indication and to get anything programmed in. When you plug the cable into the radio, while it is powered up, it will show you it is in clone mode. You should then be able to see the progress after you start the upload and when it is done, pull out the plug and let it scan first, stop it manually and see what you have in the scanner.

N8IAA

When using the Win97 program, did you click on upload to the scanner, or, did you click on upload to the Pro-163/164 area? There is another for uploading to the PSR-300/400 radios. I make sure that the radio is running, that the cable is in the correct jack(PC/IF), before letting it upload to the radio. Another way to check is to download to the program to see if there is a connection. It could be that simple.
HTH,
Larry

Last edited:

phildesantis

IT WORKS!!!! Thank you everyone for your help, advice and patience with me. I got it to work! Here's what I did/overlooked. First, I went to Settings and enabled each bank (did this initially w/o success...double checked this step each attempt thereafter). Second, I checked the Extra write time & enable "Readback" test in the config serial port menu (did this initially too). Third, uploaded scanner by clicking on Pro-163/164 (again, did this too)...I was just about to exchange it for a Pro-97 and then I disconnected the 3" conversion cable (that came w/ the driver software program) and lo-and-behold....it worked (felt pretty dumb at this point, yet relieved). Since it was mentioned 3 times of 4 responses, I figured I should give it a try. It was a simple fix and I'm very appreciative of your help. Again, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.