Win97

Status
Not open for further replies.

adlx21

Anyone know why I cannot save using Win97 software?
Is it because im using trial?

thanks

Last edited:

n5ims

The trial software is the same as the regular version, the key simply bypasses the 30 day check on startup so that's not your issue. Since you don't say what your OS is or any other details on your setup it's hard to answer your question with anything more than an educated guess though. Please provide specifics like OS (XP/Vista/7; 32 bit/64 bit; home/business/ultimate/etc.), user level (admin/restricted/power user/etc.), etc.

Assuming you've checked the obvious (enough free disk space, etc.), this issue sounds like it's a user rights issue. Where are you trying to save the files? Try to change the location that the files are being saved from the default location to your documents library/folder. You should have sufficient rights to create/delete/update/read files there.

Win97 initially defaults to saving the files in the same location where the program is. While this was OK back in the XP days (not the best location, but XP didn't restrict where files could go for the default user rights of Administrator), Vista and Windows 7 now try to enforce the seperation of data files from program files.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Anyone know why I cannot save using Win97 software?
Is it because im using trial?

thanks
Apparently you have more then 20 or so days left on trial. Unlike n5 I prefer saving to Win97 folder which is where Win97 remembers in ini file.

As he stated, Vista and 7 require Admin approval to run program but has a check box to unchecked for subsequent runs.

Looks like the Bay area should be rich for scanning.

Last edited:

adlx21

Sorry.
Im running Windows XP Home Edition.
Also when I try to save, a msg comes up:
"Error: Access violation at 0x004659b0 (tried to red from 0x00000000), program terminated.)
and the program automatically closes.

Im basically just adding a channel, click save and bam doesn't work.
i tried saving it into another folder, but no luck.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Are you running program from the zip download? If so extract all files to a Win97 folder then run Win97.exe from that folder.

3mary2

I have the program bought and paid for with the license key and all. I try to download from the scanner or RR and then press save and the same thing happens. Error message. Where is this box I am suppose to uncheck as I am on Windows Vista.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Where is this box I am suppose to uncheck as I am on Windows Vista.
A popup at first run of Win97.exe. If you no longer get it you may have already unchecked it for future runs.

What V of Win97 are you running. Latest is V1.31 which change download. however, previous v may work also.

3mary2

A popup at first run of Win97.exe. If you no longer get it you may have already unchecked it for future runs.

What V of Win97 are you running. Latest is V1.31 which change download. however, previous v may work also.

I am running wersion 1.31. I also tried to contact Don S. but apparently he is busy as he has always answered my questions previosly. I even tried to delete the file and start over and that did no good either.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I am running wersion 1.31. I also tried to contact Don S. but apparently he is busy as he has always answered my questions previosly. I even tried to delete the file and start over and that did no good either.
Dag nab it:p I hadn't tried Web Import with this version. This is what I got followed by program closing. I.e. no save available.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
There's a lot of things to check....

This type of error sounds to me like a problem with the DLL file. If I understand the OP correctly, this program has never run for him. What I would do is this; get the latest version, which is typically a ZIP file. Make a specific directory where you want WIN97 to live on your hard disc. Unzip the files into that directory.

Do you have the serial cable installed and working? You'll need to know the COM port assigned to the cable. If it is USB, with the cable plugged into the PC (and not the scanner) go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports and see what port it is assigned to. You'll need that info to configure WIN97.

One problem I ran into a while back was the wrong DLL file. I use all of the WINxx programs (WIN92, WIN93, WIN95, ....) and some now use different DLLs while some share the same DLL. After running into that problem I created different directories for the programs (before that I had them all in a single directory).

Also, I think the newest version might require .NET stuff installed. You should make sure you have the latest service pack and updates installed for your operating system as well.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It looks like the latest version doesn't need the RRLib.DLL or Microsoft's .NET runtime.
I remember having to install the .NET stuff for one of the updates/programs here, and thought it was WIN97.

WIN97 does require WINXXCommon.DLL, and this is the file for which there are different versions that caused me issues. If you're only installing WIN97 and none of the other WINxx programs, you won't have the problems I did.

Highpockets

Like mentioned in another post above, Don, updated all three programs the other day, 500 had a quick problem, which he fixed in 5 minutes, I'm sure when he reads this he'll make corrections to win97 also, almost sounds like the same kind of thing that was happening with win500.

adlx21

Are you running program from the zip download? If so extract all files to a Win97 folder then run Win97.exe from that folder.

I downloaded the file. put it into a folder called win97 and then extracted everything in the zip file into the same win97 folder.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded the file. put it into a folder called win97 and then extracted everything in the zip file into the same win97 folder.
OK and you are running XP Home edition. What service pack are you running? Go to Control Panel -> System and it will show you.

adlx21

I remember having to install the .NET stuff for one of the updates/programs here, and thought it was WIN97.

WIN97 does require WINXXCommon.DLL, and this is the file for which there are different versions that caused me issues. If you're only installing WIN97 and none of the other WINxx programs, you won't have the problems I did.

this if the first time installing WIN97. version 1.31. the WINXXCommon.DLL is already in the zip file along with msvcr71.dll

OK and you are running XP Home edition. What service pack are you running? Go to Control Panel -> System and it will show you.

Service Pack 3

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
this if the first time installing WIN97. version 1.31. the WINXXCommon.DLL is already in the zip file along with msvcr71.dll

Service Pack 3
Problem is not OS because I installed all three new versions 500, 96 and 97. I just now reinstalled 97 with same error results. Either the msvcr71.dll or 97.exe are corrupt.

This issue needs to be in software forum as 3mary is waiting for reply from Don and more 97 users may see the software forum.

N8IAA

Got tthe same message today on both Win97 and Win500. Defraged the pc, restarted, and everything was good. Don't know what happened. First time I ever got this error message:( Running Windows7.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.