Window antenna mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

LtDoc

That just depends on how far up into the window channel the mount will fit. If there's no channel, then I would have to think it might have some leakage at times.
- 'Doc

imbruski

mfj 310 Window Mount

I use the mfj 310 on a daily basis, would not suggest going through the car wash. Just a slight bit of wind noise otherwise. I use the R/S 800 antenna with either an R/S PRO-106 or new HP-1 and no issues with either radio. JMHO

nanZor

I use those on occasion and like them for what they are. If you leave it mounted, but remove the antenna for any length of time (ie, quick theft protection while in stores, etc), try to find a cap to cover the exposed connector for light rains, etc. Definitely remove the whole thing for the carwash. :)

You can also play around with an rf-choke if you like. Since the braid is now your ground, I played around with winding the coax into a small 2-inch diameter, 5 turn choke about 20 inches away from the mount. Minor improvement for VHF-hi , and also helps keep out common-mode noise going the other way into the antenna. Or you can wind several turns around a ferrite. Something to play with anyway...

RadioDaze

You can also play around with an rf-choke if you like. Since the braid is now your ground, I played around with winding the coax into a small 2-inch diameter, 5 turn choke about 20 inches away from the mount. Minor improvement for VHF-hi , and also helps keep out common-mode noise going the other way into the antenna. Or you can wind several turns around a ferrite. Something to play with anyway...
Nice... I never thought of that.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info all.

Now I have another question,is the mount its self weather proof? Like say I use it during the rain/snow while driving and staying still?

Status
Not open for further replies.