• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Window mount antennae

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjyoung

I am considering getting a new rig and see that a window mount antennae is an option. What sort of performance could I expect?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Back in my cb days glass mount antennas weren't around yet,but from what I've read here the users don't suggest the glass mount variety. I always got out the drill and did it "old school"!
N9ZAS.

DX949

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I am considering getting a new rig and see that a window mount antennae is an option. What sort of performance could I expect?

rjyoung, I was able to get some info from firestick antenna factory concerning glass mounted antennas,

Here is a excerpt from there technical Support team on the matter.

{ Cellular/ and PCS phones use a system of antennas and repeaters. Your transmission does not need to go very far before it locks into the system of repeaters. Once that link is made, the communication capabilities are unlimited. But with CB, communications are station to station. You do not have the advantage of repeaters so the antenna must do all of the work. As antennas go, there are inherent problems with the "on-glass" cellular look-a-like CB antennas. First of all, the RF signal must be coupled through the vehicle's glass. Glass, having good insulating properties, diminishes the signal strength to and from the radio. Then, if the glass has deicer wires, built in AM/FM antennas, or certain types of window tint, performance suffers further. To complicate matters further, the small size of the antenna reduces its ability to transmit as effective as a larger antenna. Also, because of the antennas slender stature, there is less antenna surface to gather the incoming signals. A common complaint from people that are using good antennas is that they can hear another station but the other station will not respond to their request for 2-way communication. What is happening is the good antenna is able to pick up the weaker signal from the wire antenna, but the wire antenna is either too short or too slender to receive your transmission. The other station just doesn't hear you! }

You can get the hole transcript by clicking on this link as well as there web site.
Untitled Document

Hope this helps.

SCPD

QRT
Depends on the use

Like someone else said, if you plan on talking a good distance, you need to mount a good gain antenna like a Larsen or a Wilson on the roof or trunk deck. But if the purpose is to run with the truckers on the interstate, where you don't need to hear a great distance, and not talk more than a couple of miles, than a window mount antenna will work fine.

mrweather

Glass mount CB antennas more or less suck. They're acceptable for UHF and 800 MHz but drop right off in efficiency below VHF.

I'm not a big fan of mag mounts but they're 100x better than a glass mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.