Windows 10 netbook and Pro96Com with RS scanner cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I had an XP netbook running Pro96Com that I used with my Pro-106 scanner (RS cable 20-047). It has gone south and I'd like to replace it with something just as portable for on the on the road trunking analysis.

Anyone using a Windows 10 Tablet or a small netbook for that?

I'm figuring two possible challenges:
Does Pro96Com run on Windows 10, specifically on the Windows 10 on these small devices?
Does the 20-047 cable work with Windows 10?

WyoWabbit

I am using Pro96Com on laptops with Windows 7 & 8.1 with no problems. Also running on 3 different tablets, an RCA, a Trio, and a NuVision all using Windows 10 with no problems. - Tom

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Just to provide an update on this. I found an extra Windows 8 based tablet, an HP Stream 7. It doesn't have a regular USB port, but it has a micro USB for charging. Turns out it supports USB OTG, which allows you to hook regular USB accessories to a micro USB port. I had a cable handy from playing with SDRs on Android, so I tried it with the RS programming cable. The first time I plugged it in, Windows beeped but didn't install a driver. I took it out and tried again, and Windows installed a driver (either from Microsoft or preloaded). I installed Pro96Com and it all worked! So that tablet combined with a portable scanner makes a compact P25 trunking analyzer.
Only downside is I can't charge it while using the OTG cable. I was reading online some solutions to that problem so I will explore further.

Status
Not open for further replies.