Windows 10 & Uniden USB Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager

A serial driver should not have any effect on the Windows Mass Storage driver.
Fire Away.

Unless you replace the mass storage driver with the serial driver.

If you connect the scanner in mass storage mode, then replace the driver, not only will the serial still not work, but you will break the mass storage, too.

storminc

I'll just use Sentinel and Proscan Scan. No more Butel. They are no help

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

storminc

No need to upload the DB. Sentinel is updated weekly from the RR DB.

You really should try it, Just download the current radio programming into Sentinel before writing to the scanner. Everything you've done so far and programmed into the radio will be saved in Sentinel.
Then update from there. It may seem difficult at first, but once you get it figured out.. You'll not likely go back!

BCD436HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

and watch Upman's video too.

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...-display-department-hidden-2.html#post2504851

You just update the database weekly (It's done free with the Uniden Software, No membership required!) &&& update your radio's firmware (Very Important!)
Thanks

storminc

Well shiver me downs. I checked Butel website and noticed a newer version .98 build 8 Uninstalled and then reinstalled new version I downloaded. Registered Software and vola. it works. In the VC panel it asks for port in a drop down box You select port hit start and off it goes. Butel lied it wasn't a driver issue all along.

BillTheITGeek

FWIW, just now I installed Windows 10 on a VMWare Fusion virtual machine, installed Sentinel & Proscan, and connected my BCD436HP to the VM with zero problems. It was detected the first time with the out-of-box mass storage driver and when I connected in serial mode, Windows installed the serial driver and Proscan detected it the first time.

Now I need to test out the Butel software, since I actually have a paid license for that... If it doesn't work, I'll pay for Proscan, as it seems to work very well.

storminc

FWIW, just now I installed Windows 10 on a VMWare Fusion virtual machine, installed Sentinel & Proscan, and connected my BCD436HP to the VM with zero problems. It was detected the first time with the out-of-box mass storage driver and when I connected in serial mode, Windows installed the serial driver and Proscan detected it the first time.

Now I need to test out the Butel software, since I actually have a paid license for that... If it doesn't work, I'll pay for Proscan, as it seems to work very well.
Check Butel website and make sure you have the latest version

N9JIG

Sheriff

I found that Butel seemed to work fine on Win10 after upgrading (?) from Windows 7. I had to reinstall a couple of the ARC products but once they were done they worked fine.

storminc

That's great. I had a fit with my Butel x36 software and drivers. Discovered newer version. Downloaded and it worked fine

brumey

CFO (Chief Fix-It Officer)
Just connected a new 536. Previously had a HP1 connected. 536 connected first time, no issues.

trp2525

I had the same problem with the older cable, I used this driver bellow and it works fine under Windows 10. You have to do a few steps to get it to install. I will post a link tomorrow its on the other computer.

Ok I used this one Vista-Prolific-USB-2-Serial-Driver-3-2-0-0 there are two links to the drivers both will work with the steps below

here is the discussion at this link where I found the info

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...-usb-driver-not-working?forum=w8itprohardware

https://www.sendspace.com/file/5m5afw

http://www.ztechnology.com/download/Vista-Prolific-USB-2-Serial-Driver-3-2-0-0.exe
when using this one it will install the drivers but you still have to do the steps when you do step 4 choose driver in picture

1. download the driver version 3.3.11.152 in Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port | Magic Driver ( although this is an old driver version, this works in most versions of Windows OS even the latest Windows 8.1 in my case )

2. Go to device manager, under Ports ( COM & LPT ) right click Prolific USB-to-Serial (COMx) then select Update driver software.

3. Browse for driver software on computer

4. Let me pick from a list of devices on my computer

5. Select Have Disk

6. On the bottom, Select Browse and then select location where you saved the driver for 3.3.11.152, you should be able to find ser2pl.

7. Open, then OK, then Next, then VOILA! it should be working now.

8. Scan hardware changes to verify.

Thank you VERY MUCH for posting this workaround! You saved me the $30+ price of buying a new Uniden USB-1 cable with the newer chipset.

I just got my 8-year-old Uniden USB-1 cable with the PL-2303 XA/HXA chipset working in Windows 10 with my BCD396XT and BCD996XT scanners. It's working just fine with the latest/newest versions of FreeSCAN (version 2.18 beta 6) and Uniden Bearcat BC VUP (version 3.03).

jadant

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem with the older cable, I used this driver bellow and it works fine under Windows 10. You have to do a few steps to get it to install. I will post a link tomorrow its on the other computer.

Ok I used this one Vista-Prolific-USB-2-Serial-Driver-3-2-0-0 there are two links to the drivers both will work with the steps below

here is the discussion at this link where I found the info

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...-usb-driver-not-working?forum=w8itprohardware

https://www.sendspace.com/file/5m5afw

http://www.ztechnology.com/download/Vista-Prolific-USB-2-Serial-Driver-3-2-0-0.exe
when using this one it will install the drivers but you still have to do the steps when you do step 4 choose driver in picture

1. download the driver version 3.3.11.152 in Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port | Magic Driver ( although this is an old driver version, this works in most versions of Windows OS even the latest Windows 8.1 in my case )

2. Go to device manager, under Ports ( COM & LPT ) right click Prolific USB-to-Serial (COMx) then select Update driver software.

3. Browse for driver software on computer

4. Let me pick from a list of devices on my computer

5. Select Have Disk

6. On the bottom, Select Browse and then select location where you saved the driver for 3.3.11.152, you should be able to find ser2pl.

7. Open, then OK, then Next, then VOILA! it should be working now.

8. Scan hardware changes to verify.

Using windows 10, when I go to do step 2 under device manager there is no title of Ports to select, so I'm getting stuck her any thoughts?

Jared

teknishun

Windows 10 and the 996-XT

All of our scanners with native USB just plug and play with Windows 10. For older models (i.e. "XT" or "X" models) that have a serial connection, older USB-1 cables will not work, as Prolific changed their drivers several years ago to only work with their newer chipset that has anti-counterfeit features. At that time, we changed the chipset in our USB-1 cables. So, if you have an older USB-1 cable it won't work with Windows 10 (or really w/8 using current drivers). Newer (last couple of years) cables will work.

If I go to Uniden.com right now (05-29-2016) and I buy a USB-1 to serial converter cable, does it have the
correct chipset to allow Windows 10 to talk to the 996-XT?

If not - what cable do I need to make this connection work?
Brand name, part number, website, etc.?

Teknishun

N9JIG

Sheriff
If I go to Uniden.com right now (05-29-2016) and I buy a USB-1 to serial converter cable, does it have the
correct chipset to allow Windows 10 to talk to the 996-XT?

If not - what cable do I need to make this connection work?
Brand name, part number, website, etc.?

Teknishun

The current versions of the USB-1 cable from Uniden, ScannerMaster etc. are the newer one that works in Windows 10 and 8. They are the "D" version.

If buying a used cable from someone make sure it is the "D" version and not the older one.

jmhthompson

Got mine to work again with Windows 10 on April 7 2017

I have no idea what chipset my cable was but I have it for better than 6 years.

Here are the steps I just used and got my old usb-1 cable to work again running windows 10.

STEP 1 -
Go to Uniden website --> Uniden | A World Without Wires

STEP 2 -
DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THIS DRIVER VERSION from Uniden page only (ensures it's authentic) --->
PL-2303 Vista Driver Installer.exe
Vista driver installer for the USB-1 Cable (32- and 64-bit versions) 2.0 Mb*10/22/2006
v2.0.0.19 for Win98SE/ME
v2.0.2.1 for Win2K/XP/2003 (XP Logo Certified)

STEP 3 -
Restart your computer after the install

STEP 4 -
Search in Cortana box --> "Device Manager" and open it

STEP 5 -
Under Ports look for the Prolific cable (it should have a yellow exclamation point if the cable is plugged in and isn't working)

STEPS - 6 7 & 8
Right click on the Prolific-to-USB cable under device manager to open the sub menu
Select --> Update Driver Software
Select --> Browse my computer for driver software

IMPORTANT STEP 9 -
Under the folder browser bar is an option for "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
Select the option --> "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

STEP 10 last one -
Select the earliest driver shown in the list, you want this one --> 3.2.0.0 7/31/2007)
With that driver highlighted select --> Next

It will apply the old driver and then you can celebrate because the exclamation point is gone now and the icon now looks like a serial port connection and the cable will work again.

If it doesn't work for you try selecting sequentially one of later drivers listed one by one before you close the update driver window.

teknishun

Yes, that will work fine until the next Windows 10 Update and it discovers you have an "outdated driver." It will update itself to the newest driver again which is NOT compatible with the old 2303 chipset.

Why not just lay down a few bucks (if you are using Windows 10 all the time) and buy the
updated PL2303-HXD cable and chipset from Uniden and be done with it?

It is a pain in the a** to have to reload the older driver each time Windows updates.

To each his own.

jmhthompson

Unless you are using the computer as a controller, how often do you need to hook up and reprogram. Once the old driver is back on your computer, In 30 seconds I can make my old one work again. Besides I have already bought the serial port cable, then the USB-1 and I am getting tired of laying down cash to keep buying the cable for the same scanner.. clearly the old chipset still can work just fine with windows 10.

usafrsq

Premium Subscriber
This is all getting over my head in computer work time put it on the railroad track and hit it with a train. Going to c as ll uniden tomorrow and if they can't help me it's death to homepatrol 2. It's giving me a headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.