Windows 10 updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

katt02

Katt
Hi all,

Let me start by saying I hate windows updates. I have an enterprise version of windows 10 and I found out I could disable updates because of that. I did so as I found updates make the computer worse with each time it attempts to update. It worked well for the past 2 years. I had no problems whatsoever. I had disabled updates via the registry editor(i think, or it may have been in settings under administrator, its been 2 years so I kind of forgot about it). Now windows has decided to screw me over and say "F U, here is some forced updates, even though you have them turned off". Since this happened about a week ago, my computer has been almost useless for 90% of the time as it is "downloading updates" or "preparing for updates". How can I turn these off again? This has been the most annoying thing ever, especially since I run a lot of programs that require hard drive usage, all of this stops what I am working on.

I wish I could go right to Microsoft and get them to stop however they don't seem to care and simply put you on the phone with a robot.
Thanks, Katt

RT48

You do realize that by not allowing those updates you leave your computer open to all kinds of security issues? It's possible that part of your problem is because your computer has already been compromised.

I have five computers and none of them have ever had a problem with updating.

Stupidfatkid

If your Windows 10 machine is connected to the internet then you really should be installing updates on a regular schedule. In the last couple years Microsoft has added a lot of flexibility to when/how updates are installed. The first thing to understand is you don't get a single monolithic update anymore. From what I can tell, Microsoft has split updates out in to three main categories. Depending on the type of update, you have more or less control on when/how the update is installed. The settings that control these updates are located in "Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options".

• Non-Critical Updates - These are standard rolling updates to Windows 10. They can be paused for up to 35 days.
  • Feature Updates - These are major releases to Windows 10. They include new features and significant updates to existing features. You can defer feature updates for up to 365 days. The latest November update (Window 10 1909) would be an example of a feature update.
  • Quality Updates - These are more like traditional operating system updates and include minor security fixes, critical updates, and driver updates. You can defer quality updates for up to 30 days.

Microsoft has caused a lot of confusion by not doing better job of outlining the different updates and what exactly they entail. I know it's confusing to me.

Last edited:

katt02

Katt
I understand that it is not wise to not update, however I make sure I take enough precautions to prevent problems.

Thank you for the response's though as those pointed me in the right direction. I am working on the issue more now and I have figured a few more things out. It is still not perfect however If I can shut down most of the updates I would be pleased.

Just putting it out there however, Because of windows update my hard drives (yes, I know very slow hard drives) have been maxed out for the past hour or so running around 40-50 MB/s for these updates as well as nearly maxing out my memory. This is why I had the problem in the first place, because windows will not let me continue my normal usage as it hogs all system resources.

Anyways, Thanks for the response and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.