Windows 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit_Factor

Technically it was released today, but win 10 devices in use today probably won't see it in the updates until 2022.

You can download it manually today, as an ISO.

I recommend running the hardware compatibility checker before installing win11.

My guess is there won't be any problems. PPS is a current app.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Technically it was released today, but win 10 devices in use today probably won't see it in the updates until 2022.

You can download it manually today, as an ISO.

I recommend running the hardware compatibility checker before installing win11.
It's available in Windows Update today. Inside, it will prompt you to run PC Health Check to determine eligibility.

Hit_Factor

Interesting, how old is your computer? That's contrary to a Twitter post from MS. MS also said Win10 was going to be the last version of Windows.

Why haven't you pressed the upgrade button?

belvdr

Interesting, how old is your computer? That's contrary to a Twitter post from MS. MS also said Win10 was going to be the last version of Windows.

Why haven't you pressed the upgrade button?
Mine is not supported, so I cannot upgrade. I'm not sure what your statement means, regarding the "last version of Windows".

belvdr

Me either, but that's what they said about Win10 when it was released.
Oh, gotcha. I was running updates today and noticed it had a big Windows 11 banner. OP, if it were me, I wouldn't be making the jump this early on a computer that's required to be running.

belvdr

I doubt Windows 11 will be required for some time to come. It's mostly a dumb-downed UI with user friendly cosmetics.
I wasn't referring to Windows 11 specifically, but Windows in general. I don't have any need to upgrade my computer to get to Windows 11.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
I kind of wonder if that upgrade or PC Health Check will check for the TPM 2.0 module, UEFI and Secure Boot enabled BEFORE installing itself. I haven't really been following it too well, but I do know you have to have those things, 'supposedly', or be prepared to do some registry editing or swapping out bits and pieces from a Windows 10 boot source if the dev build was anything to go by. Also, kind of wonder exactly how much 'DirectX 12' is as a requirement, that's going to certainly rule out quite a few older machines from being able to run Windows 11.

belvdr

I kind of wonder if that upgrade or PC Health Check will check for the TPM 2.0 module, UEFI and Secure Boot enabled module BEFORE installing itself. I haven't really been following it too well, but I do know you have to have those things, 'supposedly', or be prepared to do some registry editing or swapping out bits and pieces from a Windows 10 boot source if the dev build was anything to go by. Also, kind of wonder exactly how much 'DirectX 12' is as a requirement, that's going to certainly rule out quite a few older machines from being able to run Windows 11.
It alerted me to my unsupported processor and not having a TPM 2.0 module. I do not have secure boot enabled and it raised no alarms for that.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I wasn't referring to Windows 11 specifically, but Windows in general. I don't have any need to upgrade my computer to get to Windows 11.

I understand. I think we've all been assimilated to Microsoft Windows like it or not. I've been running Linux in addition to Windows for years. I've not been successful trying to run Linux 100%, if I could, I would.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I understand. I think we've all been assimilated to Microsoft Windows like it or not. I've been running Linux in addition to Windows for years. I've not been successful trying to run Linux 100%, if I could, I would.
Not even the full install distros have yieled luck? I know when setting up the partition and tables in beginning this can be most peoples root cause of issues installing a Linux distribution. Most have a auto install though I always did the manual setup

belvdr

Not even the full install distros have yieled luck? I know when setting up the partition and tables in beginning this can be most peoples root cause of issues installing a Linux distribution. Most have a auto install though I always did the manual setup
Some programs aren't available or don't have a good alternative.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
I unassimilated years ago, I'm not married to Microsoft Office, Adobe, or any of those pieces of software that keep most people locked in. I do have a virtual machine with Windows, but I can't even remember the last time I started it up to actually use it for anything, but it does have a lot of my old legacy stuff in there like old Outlook and Outlook Express email and QB files, occassionally I'll tinker with SDR stuff in there, but even then, most things I can run in Wine or have a Linux program that does similar. I'm just glad I don't have to roll the dice and pray every time I do an update.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

No problem installing/running Linux. The problem is tying to run some Window apps under Linux, using Wine emulator, or even Virtual Box.

blackbelter

Thanks for the heads up and follow through . I agree that unlike OSX the windows are not true native rebuilt.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Just finished upgrading to Win11 on a 3 year old Dell Inspiron laptop. Had to update BIOS and activate TPM in the BIOS first. Other than that, no problems. PPS works fine along with Icom software, RT Systems, QuickBooks, Office 365, Chrome, and Anytone CPS. Will update HRD later this morning, new version released this week. I don't expect any problems considering how smooth everything else installed/operated.

It's probably too soon to tell but are there any new advantageous changes?

Hit_Factor

It's probably too soon to tell but are there any new advantageous changes?
Nothing I had to figure out right away, mostly subtle changes of the GUI. I have not taken the time to look into why a TPM 2.0 module is (required) used, but I bet that's going to step up the security quite a bit.

It doesn't seem sluggish on this 3 year old computer, but it's well configured with i7-8550U, 16GB RAM, SSD, Touch screen.

I don't need the gaming enhancements, can't think of any reason to run Android apps on Windows (would love to run a win CPS on Android though). The remote and desktop virtualization will be handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.