Windows 7 Audio Cutting Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
Recently, my laptop ( Toshiba Satellite L755 , i3 processor) has been intermittently cutting audio from videos. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.

The video still plays, but the audio stops until I back the video up to where it stopped, and hit play again. It will normally play about eight minutes, and play shorter and shorter videos from there.

It happens on YouTube, Amazon Prime, and other sites, irrespective of browser (Chrome or Firefox).

I've disabled add ons for each browser, uninstalled and reinstalled Flash and Java, and even factory reset the computer. The problem still persists.

What am I doing wrong, folks? Did I miss something along the way, or screw something up?

Thanks for the help,
Brts96

bharvey2

Recently, my laptop ( Toshiba Satellite L755 , i3 processor) has been intermittently cutting audio from videos. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.

The video still plays, but the audio stops until I back the video up to where it stopped, and hit play again. It will normally play about eight minutes, and play shorter and shorter videos from there.

It happens on YouTube, Amazon Prime, and other sites, irrespective of browser (Chrome or Firefox).

I've disabled add ons for each browser, uninstalled and reinstalled Flash and Java, and even factory reset the computer. The problem still persists.

What am I doing wrong, folks? Did I miss something along the way, or screw something up?

Thanks for the help,
Brts96

Does it only happen when you're streaming or does it happen with local (on your laptop) files too? Also, what about audio files without video?

Although I'd expect the video to be affected as well, the first thing that comes to mind is that you have a bandwidth issue. To confirm this, try plugging your laptop network adapter directly in to your router and shut off your wireless adapter and test again.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
I know for sure that it happens when I'm streaming. Haven't tried it with local music or videos, but know that I've used other connections, and had the same issues.

bharvey2

Ideally, you'd want to have the same file format locally on your computer that is being streamed. Playing a DVD or music file would verify that your audio hardware is functioning but wouldn't necessarily test the operation of any CODECs in use. My first test would be to use a wired ethernet connector between the laptop and router to see if you have trouble with streaming. I'd try it from one or two locations to confirm that it isn't you internet connection in general. That seems unlikely but best to try one thing at a time to eliminate each possibility.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
Fair enough. I'll check it out when I get home from work tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the ideas. It's probably something really simple, knowing my luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.