Windows 7 can't run old DOS Program I use on/off

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
USB problems is one reason i love Win7, never had one yet.

If the camcorders are supported in XP they will work in 7.. I haven't found anything yet that won't work on 7 if it was at least XP compatible.
I called the Sony up for Tech problems about it. They told me it will not work with win7 cause no driver update.

Trixter

Do you have to use Win7? If not, then leave XP on it.

I have many older laptops/towers running from DOS to XP. I use them for the programs that will not work on the newer OS's. I would look and see what memory is uses, and max it out. Update the BIOS, Put in a bigger Hard Drive or I would say an SSD as Hard drives are stupid expensive now. Load that OS's, not that crap they send with the Laptop, use a fresh copy of Windows, no blot crap with it. Update it or have it so it will work with that one program.

A few bucks and some time to make it like you want, it could be that laptop that helps with that one program.

Again that what I do and have zero problems.

It is always good to have that one OS that that program was made for. Everything does not work on newer OS's.

I say keep it and use it for them older programs that seem to work great on.

My 2cents

Michael

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
i run CCII on my Win 7 32 bit laptop all the time. don't create a shortcut to it, open a CMD prompt and run it that way. on my computer i open CMD, type in cd\mfiles, then type CCII. it opens and runs just fine that way. same way on my other laptop which is Vista 64 bit.
I was not able to open it. I open command prompt and found the folder etc.... try to use that way a error came up.

CapStar362

@Steve, only applies if he has 7 Pro, Business or Ultimate. anything less will not accept XP Mode. will be forced to use a 3rd party VM app

Dave_E

Yup, use a virtual machine, load up Linux and then use one of the DOS emulators, that should get you running again.

mikey60

If the program is from the 80s, it's probably compiled for 16 bit processors. A 64 bit processor won't run a 16 bit program from what I've found. I have a number of 32 bit DOS programs that run fine on my machine, but I have run into a few of the 16 bit programs that don't work.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.