Windows 7 can't run old DOS Program I use on/off

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I am using a DOS program (Fire tone out tone reeds to the cap codes) seems Windows 7 can not open it at all. Any ideas?

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Right click the program, go to "properties" and "Compatibility" tab and you should see it.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I have done that I put windows 7 keeps giving me the error unless I need to restart computer

Last edited:

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
I have done that I put windows 7 keeps giving me the error unless I need to restart computer

From the screen shot, looks like maybe you are running a 64 bit version of windows 7 or vice versa and the program does not support this. I would do some research on the program to see what bit operating system it supports.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
It was on the windows xp sp3 I dropped it to windows 7 click apply and than ok and still comes up I wonder if I need to restart the computer? I even try to click a few boxes also. I see the program is from late 80's.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
It was on the windows xp sp3 I dropped it to windows 7 click apply and than ok and still comes up I wonder if I need to restart the computer? I even try to click a few boxes also. I see the program is from late 80's.

You can try a restart but its really not needed. Id say if its from the late 80's its time to look for some alternatives :)

W2NJS

If you can eventually get your Windows OS to run what it calls DOS you will probably have a lot of trouble making an old Motorola RSS program work. To make an old DOS RSS work you must boot and run the computer in pure DOS, probably version 6.22, which is available for free on the internet. Doing otherwise you will run a serious risk of ruining your radio and it will need a trip to the Motorola depot to be fixed. This subject has been discussed at length in many, many threads on this site as well as on Batlabs. Go to http://batboard.batlabs.com and do a search using "DOS 6.22" as the title.

Last edited:

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
If you can eventually get your Windows OS to run what it calls DOS you will probably have a lot of trouble making an old Motorola RSS program work. To make an old DOS RSS work you must boot and run the computer in pure DOS, probably version 6.22, which is available for free on the internet. Doing otherwise you will run a serious risk of ruining your radio and it will need a trip to the Motorola depot to be fixed. This subject has been discussed at length in many, many threads on this site as well as on Batlabs. Go to Batboard • Index page and do a search using "DOS 6.22" as the title.

I'm not having trouble with RSS software. I have trouble with the CCII Pager exe files. I can type the Tone A and B... 1185.2A 539.0B comes up 4029 for the HEX or Cap Code.

mancow

Database Admin
Have you checked to see if your PC can boot from a USB device? I use a 1 Gig USB memory stick setup as a bootable DOS drive full of DOS based programs. My CF-18 Toughbook will recognize it as a boot device and I can select it in the BIOS boot config on startup. I have programmed everything from sabers to Jedi series portables with it with absolutely no problems.

K

kb0nly

The thumb drive is a great option, thats what i tell everyone to do also.

I installed Dos 6.22 to a 1gb thumb drive along with all my RSS and dos programs that i need, most newer computers, and even some older ones will boot from USB, go into your Bios settings and check the boot options.

If it makes you add it to the boot options then add it AFTER the hard drive entry though, otherwise on some systems it makes boot time go through the roof, as it will sit and check every USB port for a device and if its bootable, etc.

On my Dell's i can plug in a thumb drive and tap F12 to select the drive and boot from it.

I have a desktop setup on my workbench with a tri boot, XP, Dos, and 98SE. I can always run whatever i need over there.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
i run CCII on my Win 7 32 bit laptop all the time. don't create a shortcut to it, open a CMD prompt and run it that way. on my computer i open CMD, type in cd\mfiles, then type CCII. it opens and runs just fine that way. same way on my other laptop which is Vista 64 bit.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I bought a laptop has xp on it. I am starting to hate win7 more cause my usb cable to program my icom radio won't work and I even updated the usb driver nothing........ I also can't run my camcorders either not supported...... I'll be selling this when the other one coming in.

K

kb0nly

USB problems is one reason i love Win7, never had one yet.

If the camcorders are supported in XP they will work in 7.. I haven't found anything yet that won't work on 7 if it was at least XP compatible.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
USB problems is one reason i love Win7, never had one yet.

If the camcorders are supported in XP they will work in 7.. I haven't found anything yet that won't work on 7 if it was at least XP compatible.

I called the Sony up for Tech problems about it. They told me it will not work with win7 cause no driver update.

Status
Not open for further replies.