Windows 7 screen shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbounce

For the life of me I can not get a screen shot of a page and drop it into an email for example. I have the Window 7 bible I have followed the steps to use screen shots but it does not work. Any help would be appreciated.

Moonbounce

For the life of me I can not get a screen shot of a page and drop it into an email for example. I have the Window 7 bible I have followed the steps to use screen shots but it does not work. Any help would be appreciated.

Moonbounce

I'm using Windows 7.

What I do is Ctrl and PrintScreen together, then do a right-click paste into whatever I've got open. If I put it into an email, I usually edit it in Paint first to cut the size, then save it and insert the picture.

Hope that helps.

moonbounce

I'm using Windows 7.

What I do is Ctrl and PrintScreen together, then do a right-click paste into whatever I've got open. If I put it into an email, I usually edit it in Paint first to cut the size, then save it and insert the picture.

Hope that helps.

Yup that helped, I have saved the screen shot to paint now all I need to do is figure out how to get it from paint to the email, I never use paint so it's very new to me.

Thanks
Moonbounce

reconrider8

theres a program called VVCAP and what it does is you hit print scrn and then drag to select what you want to copy and then it will automatically upload it and give you the link so all you would have to do it paste the link and such :)

Yup that helped, I have saved the screen shot to paint now all I need to do is figure out how to get it from paint to the email, I never use paint so it's very new to me.

Thanks
Moonbounce
What email client are you using - or are you using a web-based email?

K7MEM

I seldom need a clip of the entire screen, but I often need a clip of a application. For that I use one of two applications. For a quick clip I use SWBCapture. It's small and easy to use. Lets you clip at a variety of resolutions and a variety of outputs. When you start it up, it stays on top. To clip any window just click-and-drag it to the window. The app will prompt you for the file name.

For contiguous clippings and other editing features, I use Irfan View. It is a great graphic program that will open almost any image you have. It's great for converting one format to another and has the best image resampler (image resizing) available. It can be set to take continuous clippings so you can follow a application through different selections. It has a built in "Paint style" dialog for editing the images. I never use Paint any more.

Both of these applications work on Windows XP and Window 7 and both are free. I don't have a Windows 8 machine, so I can speak to that.

mancow

Database Admin
Just save the paint image as a png or jpg somewhere then import that to your email as an attachment or inserted image.

QDP2012

Try Windows 7 Snipping Tool

Windows 7 includes a utility named "Snipping Tool". (Click link to see Microsoft's how-to video.) It often works better than the older method of "Ctrl / PrtScrn" or "Ctrl / Alt / PrtScrn". It lets you get the screen-shot, and then crop it, and save it normally. You can also do a "copy/paste" from it directly into your email.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

moonbounce

So what I am trying to do is take a picture of a program that is running on my desktop called DSD +. and post it on a thread in RR so I can show others a problems I am having with DSD. I can do everything mentioned above but I can't seem to drop it into the thread I want.

It is kind of funny that the computer I have at work is identical to my home computer and all I have to do on that computer is hit print screen, go to the page where I want to drop the screen shot and then right click and paste, but I can't do it with this computer. I will keep plugging away at this, I will try a few other suggestions mentioned above also, Thanks for the help.

Moonbounce

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
You won't be able to paste a screen shot directly into a RR forum thread. Your options are to either save it as a jpg/png/gif from Paint and then upload it as an attachment, or save it as a jpg/png/gif from Paint and upload it to a website like imgur, then put that link in the forum thread as an inline image.

To do an attachment, which is at this stage probably easier for you, save the image from within Paint, remembering where you saved it, and then in the "Advanced" reply function in the RR forums, go down past "Additional Options" to the "Manage Attachments" button; click it, and follow the instructions in the popup that comes up.

moonbounce

So when I am using my computer at work and I want to take a screenshot and stick it in an email it works perfect but at home it doesn't? Is it because I am using Outlook Express email.

Jay911

Feed Provider
If you want to put it in an email, you should be good. Email software (up to and including using Gmail's web interface) are smart enough to detect when you paste a picture that it should insert the picture into the message. Things like replying to posts in this forum are not designed to take images in that fashion.

moonbounce

If you want to put it in an email, you should be good. Email software (up to and including using Gmail's web interface) are smart enough to detect when you paste a picture that it should insert the picture into the message.

<<< Things like replying to posts in this forum are not designed to take images in that fashion. >>>

I have noticed in some threads I follow in RR that some members are posting what looks like a screenshot. Maybe they are not screenshots if not I would sure like to know what they are,

Jay911

Feed Provider
I have noticed in some threads I follow in RR that some members are posting what looks like a screenshot. Maybe they are not screenshots if not I would sure like to know what they are,

As I said in post # 11, they are posting either an inline image or sending a picture as an attachment. They are screenshots, but you can't just paste them from the PrintScreen key into the body of the forum post. You have to do one of the two methods I mentioned in post # 11.

CapStar362

lol, nice avatar jay, love that movie

sorry off topic, back on..... moon you have to use the forum tools to post a screenie into a post

melorycel

Here's mine:

show-your-desktop.JPG

BM82557

So what I am trying to do is take a picture of a program that is running on my desktop called DSD +. and post it on a thread in RR so I can show others a problems I am having with DSD. I can do everything mentioned above but I can't seem to drop it into the thread I want.

It is kind of funny that the computer I have at work is identical to my home computer and all I have to do on that computer is hit print screen, go to the page where I want to drop the screen shot and then right click and paste, but I can't do it with this computer. I will keep plugging away at this, I will try a few other suggestions mentioned above also, Thanks for the help.

Moonbounce

I use Screenshot Captor from Screenshot Captor - Software - DonationCoder.com

It's free and works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.