Windows 8 Consumer Preview, Installing Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJimmo

Assuming you did an upgrade and the drivers didn't migrate, then I'd suggest leaving it as is.

But if you want to experiment, download the driver package for Win7 and see if the installer works. It may complain about OS version, and if you can't run it in compatibility mode, see if you can unpack the package yourself and use Dev Mgr (Update Driver) to point at the unpacked files.

...if any of that didn't make sense, best not mess with it :)

al95

I have the windows 8 install in another partition in the hard drive it seems to work fine. I love the the games. I did a dual os setup

n5ims

Windows 8 Consumer Preview is available for download from Microsoft.

I'm trying it on an old PC. It looks ugly because the drivers for my chipset and video card are not installed.

Does anyone know how to make Windows 8 accept a driver that was made for Windows 7 or earlier?

Thanks.

Since you didn't indicate what video card you have it's a bit difficult to help you find one. I do see that nVidia (NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search) has Windows 8 drivers available for download (selected cards, but there many, if not most have them). Remember that these would be based on your card's chipset, not the brand and version on the card.

I also see that Microsoft is releasing updates quite often (including new drivers) so you might want to use the Windows Update service (you may need the advanced mode) to see if it may find your missing driver(s).

allfields

Windows 8 Consumer Preview: frequently asked questions read it ,, there is some usefull info there
So far im very unimpressed with windows 8 ,,, you need to learn new ways to do the same old stuff!!!!

how boring , unless you have a touch screen it will be useless and almost identical to windows 7

good thing but is it installed in less than 15 mins!!!! ( i3 , z68 mobo , 8gb ram )

Status
Not open for further replies.