Windows Memory Diagnostics results

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Ran a test and it says Failed. Does anyone have a link to something that explains how to interpret these results?

1712950191302-png.160183

It is mentioned in a microsoft thread here to run memtest 64 for 15 loops which I did and it said this.

Module 0:
DDR3, 8192 MB, 64-bit, 1333 MHz
ChannelA-DIMM0 BANK 0 0423 Dark-1600
Module 1:
Empty
Module 2:
DDR3, 4096 MB, 64-bit, 1333 MHz
ChannelB-DIMM0 BANK 2 Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
Module 3:
Empty

0.000: Detecting usable memory (11941 MB theoretical max)...
41.218: Other apps are being paged out to disk...
41.718: Your system might appear hung. It is not.
53.078: 7744 MB Test starting on 8 CPUs...
53.093: Allocating memory...
54.562: Memory locking failed (might be reserved by other apps/kernel)
57.718: Test finished with no errors detected

BinaryMode

There's no "Memtest 64". Only Memtest 86 and Memtest 86+. I use the former of Memtest 86. Let that run its default passes which off the top of my head is four (4). If Memtest 86 spits out errors after ALL passes are complete then try one memory stick at a time. Memtest 86 will have an after report and display results in real time. If you get any error/s withen the first few minutes then you obviously don't need to keep running Memtest 86 for all four passes. You then need to weed out which stick is bad by testing one stick at a time. It may come to pass that you need to test each slot if it's the motherboard.

Make sure the memory is seated properly.

Make sure ALL memory is compatible. Right down to their serial numbers. I had four sticks of memory that were all the same model except one stick which was purchased latter had a slightly different serial number. But was the same model none the less. That one stick gave me issues. So, I bought a completely whole new set of four memory sticks that were ALL the same right down to their serial numbers. No issues.

Moral of the story: buy ALL of your RAM at once... Not some here and there even though they are the same model and Spec., etc.

You should never mix and match RAM models either. Some users do and can get away with it, but it may not work for everyone. The QVL (Qualified Vendor List) is something I try to follow form the motherboard manufacturer website, but it's more of a subjective list if you ask me.

As to memory brands. There really is only four or five flash memory manufactures that make all the RAM in the world. Two that are popular are Samsung and Crucial (Micron). I chose Crucial and have had no issues. Samsung is, well, a cult of personality.... Just like people and their use of Ccleaner and other crap... I lieu of Ccleaner there's the open source Bulk Crap Uninstaller. System Ninja is another that's great in terms of Temp file crap removal prior to cloning/imaging.

Anyway, I digress.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
There's no "Memtest 64". Only Memtest 86 and Memtest 86+. I use the former of Memtest 86.

This is what I used

Moral of the story: buy ALL of your RAM at once... Not some here and there even though they are the same model and Spec
Too late for that but am looking to get a new set. I have to open up this pc as cant remember which mb is in this one. Have 4 at the moment.

Going to free up a flash drive and try memtest 86.