Windows Vista Home Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

3mary2

I was given the above mentioned laptop to use. The system is 32 bit. Is 64 bit a better thing to have? If so is there a way to update this laptap? I have a external drive connected which has 364 GB space availuable. Thank you in advance for your help with this

CapStar362

you cannot use 64Bit Software on a 32bit hardware environment. the 64 bit software REQUIRES the 64 bit environment for memory and CPU addressing purposes. you can however, use 32 bit software in a 64 bit environment

n5ims

A 64 bit OS will allow you to access a larger memory space so if you have more than 3.5 GB RAM in your Windows system, you may want to use a 64 bit OS. While a 32 bit OS can address 4 GB of RAM, Windows often reserves the upper half a gig for access to the video card as well as other things that need memory for their operation. Most 32 bit programs work fine when using a 64 bit OS, but device drivers must be match the OS (32 bit for 32 bit OS and 64 bit for 64 bit OS).

For home use, I normally recommend a 32 bit version of Windows since the device drivers are much easier to find in 32 bit versions. If you have a 64 bit OS all of the devices pretty much need to be pretty new for you to use them unless the company is very responsive to their users and have updated their 32 bit drivers to 64 bit. Most often they only do this for current products

3mary2

My Computer

A 64 bit OS will allow you to access a larger memory space so if you have more than 3.5 GB RAM in your Windows system, you may want to use a 64 bit OS. While a 32 bit OS can address 4 GB of RAM, Windows often reserves the upper half a gig for access to the video card as well as other things that need memory for their operation. Most 32 bit programs work fine when using a 64 bit OS, but device drivers must be match the OS (32 bit for 32 bit OS and 64 bit for 64 bit OS).

For home use, I normally recommend a 32 bit version of Windows since the device drivers are much easier to find in 32 bit versions. If you have a 64 bit OS all of the devices willtty much need to be pretty new for you to use them unless the company is very responsive to their users and have updated their 32 bit drivers to 64 bit. Most often they only do this for current products

Since I only barely know how to use this computer I think you are telling me I will be alright with the 32 bit system.Thank you very much for your time and consideration on this.

CapStar362

n5ims, you just totally missed the whole point of his question. he wasnt even asking about the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit, he was asking can 64 bit software run in a 32 bit environment.

3Mary2, the answer as i previously stated, is no it cannot. you havea 32 bit motherboard/CPU/Memory Controller. it WILL NOT allow the capability of a 64 bit system or software to operate normally.

n5ims

n5ims, you just totally missed the whole point of his question. he wasnt even asking about the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit, he was asking can 64 bit software run in a 32 bit environment.

Let's see his question. "I was given the above mentioned laptop to use. The system is 32 bit. Is 64 bit a better thing to have? If so is there a way to update this laptap? I have a external drive connected which has 364 GB space availuable. Thank you in advance for your help with this"

Their question indicates that the "The system is 32 bit.", which states that they're running the 32 bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium but doesn't indicate if they have 64 bit capable hardware or not.

They then asked "Is 64 bit a better thing to have?". This is a simple question, but has a rather difficult answer, assuming you go into more detail than simply stating "That depends". My answer was that they're probably fine running the 32 bit version with an explaination on why as well as why one might need the 64 bit version. Since the answer was already out there that 64 bit software required 64 bit capable hardware, I didn't bring this point up again.

The OP indicated that they understood my answer in their follow-up post "Since I only barely know how to use this computer I think you are telling me I will be alright with the 32 bit system.Thank you very much for your time and consideration on this." Since it was my post that they quoted in their reply and not yours, I don't see how it was me that misunderstood their question.

CapStar362

chances are that i misread (skimming) both statements and i apologize

also chances are that it was loaded with 32bit software because its probably a 32bit hardware environment, would need a screenshot of CPUZ

RayAir

I upgraded my PC from Vista to XP.

Hopefully Windows 7 is better, haven't used it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.