Windsor Fire ENC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muxlow

Super Secret
As of 8 am today, Windsor Fire has enabled the encryption on all the Fire Department talkgroups now. So, all Emergency Services for Windsor are encrypted now. Police/Fire/CBSA

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
I wonder why they went to complete DE? I could understand 1 or 2 of the Tac channels being encrypted. Do they have problems with the buffs showing up taking photos or videos?

Muxlow

Super Secret
That was one of the reasons, yeah. People showing up pre arrival to a lot of calls and posting about it and things of that nature.

A couple talkgroups were already encrypted, but they were special groups. Fire got all a bunch of new APX radios to replace their XTS 3000/5000's they had floating around and once them were all in service.. poof! Secured everything

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
I have seen posts from this " unofficial on location " that seems to show up to everything and have pictures of responding fire vehicles.
I wonder if that was it?
So once OPP and EMS goes enc , there really won't be much in Windsor left. Luckily, I do enjoy Aviation, Marine and a little DMR. It it does suck to be out of the loop to know what is going on in real time.
In the past, there have been some shootings on my street , and we didn't find out until a day later or sometimes days later. I would rather know in real time so at least when my wife is coming home she could take another route or something. I guess the public has shown they can't be trusted to know what is going on , so if you run into a drunk driver or gunman ,..oh well.

gary123

In the past, there have been some shootings on my street , and we didn't find out until a day later or sometimes days later. I would rather know in real time so at least when my wife is coming home she could take another route or something. I guess the public has shown they can't be trusted to know what is going on , so if you run into a drunk driver or gunman ,..oh well.

This is the problem. LE is convinced that as you say the public cannot be trusted. Examples like the shootings are a reason many scanner enthusiasts are enthusiasts. Most of us are smart enough not to go running out to calls EMS and FD included. It is the small and annoying minority that have and continue to wreck it for everyone. Listen all you want but keep what you hear and learn it to yourself.

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
This is the problem. LE is convinced that as you say the public cannot be trusted. Examples like the shootings are a reason many scanner enthusiasts are enthusiasts. Most of us are smart enough not to go running out to calls EMS and FD included. It is the small and annoying minority that have and continue to wreck it for everyone. Listen all you want but keep what you hear and learn it to yourself.
Thank you gary123 for saying what I’ve been saying for years. Between the streaming of scanners across the internet/apps and people repeating what they‘ve heard on the scanner it has ruined a once enjoyable hobby.

sirsmiley

It really doesn't have anything to do with whether someone is good or bad or relaying info. Internet does make it worse yes.

Municipal police under MFIPPA and the province under similar FIPPA have requirements. I know for municipal there are requirements to secure information/communications especially involving CPIC. It applies the same whether it's on a computer or via a radio. Encryption is available for cheap/free you pretty much have to use it or you are not doing your due diligence.

For example, if a service upgraded their radios and chose not to use encryption when it was very doable and your family was broadcast across the world on an internet stream that your daughter/wife was a victim of sexual assault with their name, date of birth, address and details of the encounter you can be sure the municipality is getting sued for negligence for millions of dollars.

With fire, there really isn't much private info going across so encryption should be less of an issue but EMS and Police you're giving specific health info, personal identifiers and information not available to the public. We live in the world of lawsuits and with things being included for free/cheap it's a no brainer.

The fact that we scanner/radio people are upset does not factor in whatsoever to their decisions and I wouldn't expect it to. It sucks but it is what it is.

hotpocket

Premium Subscriber
I know for municipal there are requirements to secure information/communications especially involving CPIC. It applies the same whether it's on a computer or via a radio. Encryption is available for cheap/free you pretty much have to use it or you are not doing your due diligence.

For example, if a service upgraded their radios and chose not to use encryption when it was very doable and your family was broadcast across the world on an internet stream that your daughter/wife was a victim of sexual assault with their name, date of birth, address and details of the encounter you can be sure the municipality is getting sued for negligence for millions of dollars.

While I can understand this, what I don’t understand is why they just choose to encrypt everything. I know of a few agencies in the states where they have specific talkgroups for asking for NCIC information, or any other PII. For the most part, officers will stay on a channel that is ”in the clear”, for normal radio traffic. Then if they need to run a name, they’ll switch to the secured NCIC talkgroup, get the info, and then switch back. I wish the systems were like that here in Canada. Or even with the OPP, they’ve got a bunch of talkgroups currently that are encrypted, then they have a bunch that are not. Why not use the channels they already have for this sensitive information.

Same with EMS. At least in Middlesex, they’ve got their normal channels they use for general radio traffic, then they also have their TAC channels, and hospital patches. Why not turn on encryption on the TAC and patch channels and leave the rest as is.

My best guess would be they don’t want to be bothered to set up multiple talkgroups with mixed modes (encrypted or non encrypted)

mciupa

Conversation is straying from Windsor Fire. Thanks for your opinions.

RayAir

That was one of the reasons, yeah. People showing up pre arrival to a lot of calls and posting about it and things of that nature.

A couple talkgroups were already encrypted, but they were special groups. Fire got all a bunch of new APX radios to replace their XTS 3000/5000's they had floating around and once them were all in service.. poof! Secured everything

Tg 401 and 402 were active and using ADP.
PD is AES key ID 1 and unknown TG 10501 using AES key ID 2.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
What does that all mean?
Sounds like Fire and/or EMS is using Software ADP encryption. (Low level) and Police are using AES (High level) encryption and apparent two different keys based on key id.

Nothing really important for scanner users.

Muxlow

Super Secret
401 402 is Fire. Tac 1, Tac 2.
When they got their new APX portables to replace the old, out dated XTS3000's they went ADP on all fire groups and changed the talkgroup numbers.
I've always assumed the 10501 1050x groups were CBSA, as they are on the City of Windsor's radio system also.

Status
Not open for further replies.