Windsor KELCOM II

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering if this system is still up and active?.. trying to look for something new to listen too, and just wondering if this is worth plugging into the scanner?

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
I believe it is still active , although its not as busy as it used to be , There used to be so much to listen to around here , but now I hardly turn my scanner on anymore ,with most law enf gone encrypted & I dont know where everything else has gone ,...I used to catch things like body removal & news reporters on the Kelcom system, but much of that has switched to something else , mike phones or whatever i guess
I think you will still hear some security there ..& a few other things,...

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
ok thanks foe, ya same here, pretty quite now adays,been thinking of getting a HF radio and see how that goes. One good thing, at least I can pick up the MPSCS. Even fleetnet seems to be quieting down as well. I think this weekend going to some freq surfing and see if i can find anything new

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Well Ive had just some entry level hf radios that can be interesting but things are diminishing there as well
if you have the time to dedicate to it though you can hear some maritime , military & aircraft
I can easily catch the NEW YORK(ARINC) North Atlantic Family A Network. 3016 5598 8906 khz with either my sangean ats 803a or Grundig YB-400PE & just simple longwire antennas .,,kind of neat to hear the long haul flights checking in
make sure you get a shortwave radio with full coverage & SSB if you want any utility type traffic
I think I am on the fringe for the michigan system I would love to get a new desktop scanner & antenna , but at the rate agencies are switching to encryption I cant justify it besides I dont know that it would really help or not with my reception of the Michigan system , but there sure are some interesting talkgroups on that sys I would love to get...
I think in the spring Im going to just reprogram my radios to focus on milair & marine that seems to be about all thats left that I can hear anymore, actually I put the gmrs freqs in a while ago & I do occasionally get some odd users on there ,...business use , personal use , kids etc ...I guess another thing it comes down to is to search the bands ,...often but I never seem to have the time for it..:(

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
I hear ya, any place here in windsor that would sell HF radios? Or I am going to assume prob e-bay is going to be the best choice or the classifieds here. Mpscs can be interesting to listen too, more on the weekends then anything i find.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Ya I have a grundig one as well , not that fancy though It does pretty well , you just have to get used to whatever you are trying to hear will have a daytime frequency & a nighttime frequency ,...with nighttime usually being the better & some type of external antenna will help , the thing thats annoying is that hf can easily be overloaded with interferance , power adapters , light bulbs running motors etc , so you have to make sure your antenna is as far away from these as possible ..
You should be able to catch this system ,.....its what I often have it set on,...
USAF High Frequency Global Communications System - The RadioReference Wiki

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
ok cool, thanks. One question is can you actually hear from those locations? Is it best to have a external antenna? I do have my discone thats outside, but from what i am hearing i need a whole diff kind of antenna lol

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Yes I hear stuff on 11175 khz often , but its not like uhf/vhf comms , sometimes you have to be patient & without a squelch you have to get used to the noise, & if you have a manual ssb knob you will have to wait until you hear a tx to tune it so it sounds like speech , no the discone wont really work , the easiest is just a long wire strung up away from electrical noise
I just use a long wire with my grundig & the sangean some days reception is faint or coverd in noise
sometimes not,.... shortwave is like that
or something like these....
A Simple Dipole for Shortwave
WA4UPE Portable Antenna
CHOOSING A SHORTWAVE ANTENNA
& always interesting info from this very site as well
http://forums.radioreference.com/utility-listening/
http://forums.radioreference.com/utility-listening/159883-11175-audio-feed.html

Last edited:

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone else monitor the Kelcom 2 system in Windsor ?
I check it every once in a while & Im seeing more unlisted Id's
Was just wondering what 1-07-044 is right now,...

Also The way the frequencies are listed in the system wouldnt work for me,... I just programmed another radio
& when compared to another radio I allready had , it was missing conversations , the way I programmed it so it worked for me was this

LCN
1 420.9875
2 420.4125
3 420.4875
4 000.000 (blank lockedout)
5 420.8875
6 000.000
7 420.3875
8 000.000
9 420.7875
10 000.000
11 420.875
12 000.000
13 420.6875
14 000.000
15 420.1875
16 000.000
17 420.5875

Last edited:

mciupa

Database Admin
When I log into RadioReference, I check for any outstanding database submissions.

I didn't see these corrections submitted, so I have taken the liberty of correcting the database after reading this post.

Thanks for posting the amendments. :)

I'd like to encourage everyone to use the submit info link near the top of the page if you are aware of additions or corrections to be made to the Ontario database. :wink:

Last edited:

VE3RADIO

Although I do have the entire GTA at my fingertips here in Durham I am in a similar situation.. no local police.. but i find I can figure out where they are by listening to ambulance and fire. I have found lots of other things by searching that I would not have found if my local PD were clear.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
When I log into RadioReference, I check for any outstanding database submissions.

I didn't see these corrections submitted, so I have taken the liberty of correcting the database after reading this post.

Thanks for posting the amendments. :)

I'd like to encourage everyone to use the submit info link near the top of the page if you are aware of additions or corrections to be made to the Ontario database. :wink:

Ok actually I had thought I had submitted it a long time ago ,...way back when I had programmed the first radio , but just noticed that it wasn't working for me the way it was listed when I went to program another radio thats when I noticed it , so maybe I was mistaken,... anyway thanks for updating it, That will certainly be a bonus to any homepatrol users in the area,... its a rather interesting system in that it has a real mix of users ,& often has transient groups using rentals .I'll try to listen more & post Id's if I can guess what they are..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.