Windsor move to digital??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Heard the talk about it just wondering if anyone has any idea IF and When this is going to happen??

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Forgot to also mention is this going to be totally encrypted or a P-25 system same as detroit?

ve3zo

My suggestion is...wait and see what happens.

It may be a few years before anything starts to happen...

Chris

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Chris is 100% right.

Wait until the system comes out and you'll know for sure.

Right now everybody is just guessing about what will happen.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
ok just wondering if this was going to happen very soon, or like anything else around here takes awhile before something happens..Was thinking that i just bought this BC 898t now with the possiblity of windsor switching digital that i would have to buy a new scanner, i think i may anyhow...but thanks fro getting back,also chris how is that BC running for ya??

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
After 'experiencing' two digital cut-overs (Fleetnet and Niagara), I can tell you it won't happen overnight - if it happens at all.

Yes, they will probably switch over pretty quick, but there will most likely be 'warning signs' such as testing on the current system (assuming it is capable of digital), or perhaps a new control channel poping up with digital/encrypted traffic.

Only then will we have an idea as to what is happening.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Well decided anyhows to get a digital scanner,beings our neighbour city (detroit) uses P-25 as well as the OPP customs that sort of thing so figured i'd get it now while i have a litle extra cash..

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
If they just go p25 digital , well then no problem , just keep saving , whatever you can ,& purchase a digital scanner & your set ,...If they go digital & ENCRYPTED ...well thats another story , If WPd is what you mainly monitor , & they fully encrypt when they switch to digital,..then its time to sell some radios ...

Will they go fully encrypted? Who knows.. many surrounding areas went fully encrypted when they switched
,but then again across the river , the Michigan system is NOT fully encrypted
I guess the decision would be based on interoperability with most neighbours & on how easily they are convinced to pay for full encryption , to thwart the evil minority that can actually afford to listen to thier public servents at work...

Status
Not open for further replies.