Winlink on FTM100D with SignaLink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
So I will start this by saying I know the internal TNC can't be used externally. Now that that's out of the way...

I recently took my FTM100D out of the mobile (replaced by a 300D) and put it in use as my home 2m/70cm radio. I have a SignaLink used for FT8, PSK, RTTY, etc. on my 450D. The FTM100D is not listed in the SignaLink model lists where the wiring diagrams are but it uses an RJ45 microphone so to my understanding the jumper wiring should be the same as how I have it for the 450D (which also works with my 857D). I like having APRS capability at my desk now, but would like to add Winlink capability for emcomm purposes and possibly to play around with SSTV.

So my questions are:
1. Is my understanding correct that the internal jumper wiring would be the same for the FTM100D as it is for the 450D/857D/any model with a RJ45 microphone?
2. Would the SignaLink work using the rear data port for Winlink/SSTV/etc?

I'd rather not have to get another SignaLink for a different wiring setup so if it's as simple (and inexpensive) as buying an adapter and swapping the cable from one radio to another then I will gladly take it.

TIA!
KD9GOL

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
A couple of thoughts:

Look at the microphone jack pin-outs (check the manuals) for the two radios. If they are the same, then the cable and jumper settings for one should work for the other.

Contact Tigertronics and ask. They know their product pretty well and may have an easy answer for you.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
...snip...

2. Would the SignaLink work using the rear data port for Winlink/SSTV/etc?

I'd rather not have to get another SignaLink for a different wiring setup so if it's as simple (and inexpensive) as buying an adapter and swapping the cable from one radio to another then I will gladly take it.

TIA!
KD9GOL

While I have a FTM-400 in the same 'family' of mobiles radios I'll add what I know. I wanted to try Winlink using the 10-pin DIN connector and a Signalink already in use with my K3. I bought the Yaesu cable with the correct connector and pigtails on the other end a somewhat expensive item. I wired the proper inline phone jacks to audio-in, audio-out and PTT lines. My K3 uses that setup, but with plugs from the Signalink so it was a plug and play swap.

NO WORK! I can get GPS data from the radio on the connection displayed in a terminal window on the PC. I forget now if I was getting Winlink packets displayed, but really a moot point. I could not key the radio at the DIN connector. I got to the point where I was taking the PTT line manually to ground then power thru an isolation resistor. Nothing I tried worked! My conclusion is that connector is for using the WIRES-X HRI-200 device with the 400. That a command is sent or wire signaling is used to enable PTT. Simple connections as I have outlined will not. I have asked on forums without getting a response.

I'm not saying for the 100 it will not work, but for my 400 it didn't. I have a really nice made cable I can sell you for $20. It's not doing me any good. :)
Good Luck!

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Well, I looked again this morning, and the FTM100D uses an RJ11 connector and not an RJ45, so the actual microphone wiring is obviously different, but that was also where I was getting myself confused: I should've instead been looking at the Tigertronics-provided wiring specs for the data cable, NOT the mic cable(s). Major brain you know what there. The 450D, 857D, 100D are all listed under the same jumper wiring setup if using the 6 pin DIN connector, which I am, so there's my answer on that. I only (in theory) need the 6 pin to 10 pin converter. If you were using a cable connected to the mic port itself the wiring would be different (as would the connector).

As far as if it works, we will find out tomorrow...

I have a really nice made cable I can sell you for $20. It's not doing me any good.
Appreciate it but I already ordered the 6 to 10 pin converter from HRO and it'll be here tomorrow, I could drive up and pick it up faster but Milwaukee isn't THAT close that I'd want to, hi hi

Thank you both for your responses, and success or fail I'll post what happens in case others are curious in the future!

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I look forward to the outcome. I'm very disappointed that for me I don't know the secret handshake and maybe your success may translate over to my 400.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
If it does work I can try to send some of the luck your way!

I know you probably did, but did you set the com output to packet on the radio? If you were getting position information but not packets that might be why. That probably doesn't explain why it wouldn't key though.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Position data as I recall was my GPS info and/or APRS data if I had the correct frequency dialed up. Not much Winlink here on VHF/UHF so after I realized I could not key up to kick off a link I threw the towel in. I went thru all (many, better word to use) of the menu setup and combinations only getting limited information as to GPS data/packets. Some of my friends in the area have ‘simpler’ mobiles and have success with their back panel data connector.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Alright, so...it works. I am apparently in a very dead zone and/or conditions have been bad because I can't get into the gateway 5.5 miles away but was able to get into the gateway 26 miles away. Go figure. Both APRS and Winlink packets decode mostly how they should using SoundModem and Winlink Express, and I was able to TX using APRSIS so I declare it a success. I'll have to find someone in the area that also uses VHF packet to attempt peer to peer but that's a project for another day.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Good to hear it's working. Always a struggle when I have a non-working setup. Wrong configuration, connection, broken radio or radio not intended to work simple analog Winlink mode. Other projects for now to work on. Maybe down the road I'll try again.
Thanks for the feed-back!
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.