Winnebego County, Northern Illinois.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sublime40

anyone have a set of not-so-well known frequencies? i have all of the local pd, fd's, and medicals. i dont have the state police numbers, the ones listed in the database here dont seem to work.

ive also found a few on my own, but how do i go about finding who is using them? i can tell mostly its police, it may be the state ones ive been looking for.

edit- i have a pro96, so im also excited to use the digital functions. problem is, i dont believe pectatonica's police are using the digital radios yet. i can connect to a tower but i never hear anything.

N9JIG

Sheriff
StarCom21 sites are working in the area but are not being used for any type of real dispatch yet.

Go to www.carmachicago.com and download the Winnebago County profile as well as the StateRadio profile for the best info on the area.

sublime40

ok, thank you for the confirmation. i figured, since i could get a signal on a tower but there are no talkgroups for this area yet.

sublime40

i have a question. i heard a conversation earlier on the digital 800 channels that was state police. i dont know what talkgroup it was on, but if say i entered a talkgroup from another city, and i had my scanner listen to a tower nearby me, does that mean i can hear that other cities talkgroup?

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
what frequencies you got? i'm always looking for new frequencies. i am tryin to learn trunking. i was looking at the FCC site and seen rockford is in trunking now. 4990 i think motorola was one the freq. ( im new to trunking sorry ) you got a pro 95 or pro 97? its good to hear that someone else here in the area is also interested in listenin to scanners. i been listenin for many years now, and i work for a local news station listenin to scanners. i have got quite a few freq. but i am also looking for more. i been tryin to find all the aircraft freq. in the area here and if there military aircraft freq. used in this area. we got that airshow comin up so i cant wait to listen. you got an email addy i can reach ya at?

N9JIG

Sheriff
sublime40 said:
i have a question. i heard a conversation earlier on the digital 800 channels that was state police. i dont know what talkgroup it was on, but if say i entered a talkgroup from another city, and i had my scanner listen to a tower nearby me, does that mean i can hear that other cities talkgroup?

Starcom21 is a networked system, and that means that a mobile or portable radio "Affiliates" with the local tower in the area it is in. When the radio has affiliated any valid talkgroup for that tower that the radio is tuned to (or scanning) will be broadcast by that tower.

So, in answer to your question, as long as there is a "real" radio tuned to that talkgroup on the tower you are listening to then yes, you will hear a conversation from the different area. If there are no system radios on that talkgroup (local or otherwise) the tower will not transmit the talkgroup.

With a system this large, not all talkgroups will work statewide. So an officer from someplace south of St. Louis would not be able to monitor his home talkgroup in Rockford unless the system is configured to allow that talkgroup in other areas. This keeps the system from being bogged down with traffic from all over.

sublime40

the only freq's i have are the ones that were web-imported with win96.

thank you for the help N9JIG. i heard digital comms only once so far, and i didnt get a chance to see the talkgroup. i wish the pro96 would have a longer delay, or an adjustable one.

sublime40

freybearfreakfan said:
what frequencies you got? i'm always looking for new frequencies. i am tryin to learn trunking. i was looking at the FCC site and seen rockford is in trunking now. 4990 i think motorola was one the freq. ( im new to trunking sorry ) you got a pro 95 or pro 97? its good to hear that someone else here in the area is also interested in listenin to scanners. i been listenin for many years now, and i work for a local news station listenin to scanners. i have got quite a few freq. but i am also looking for more. i been tryin to find all the aircraft freq. in the area here and if there military aircraft freq. used in this area. we got that airshow comin up so i cant wait to listen. you got an email addy i can reach ya at?

what are your favorite channels to listen to? is there any military in this area? and how far out can you hear the airport? because i only sometimes barely hear it, and i dont live maybe 10 miles away...

N9JIG

Sheriff
sublime40 said:
the only freq's i have are the ones that were web-imported with win96.

thank you for the help N9JIG. i heard digital comms only once so far, and i didnt get a chance to see the talkgroup. i wish the pro96 would have a longer delay, or an adjustable one.

Expect to hear mostly techs for now, they will be using mostly talkgroups under 100. If you hear traffic on some of the Statewide groups like MABAS, ILEAS etc. (33xxx) they could be techs or users trying out the radios. Last week some agencies in Springfield ran a pretty extensive drill using several StarCom21 talkgroups.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
what are your favorite channels to listen to? is there any military in this area? and how far out can you hear the airport? because i only sometimes barely hear it, and i dont live maybe 10 miles away...

i live in loves park, so i mainly listen to loves park freq. but i have everything in the area programmed. but my all time favs are the aircraft freq. i listen to rockford airport and then i have searched the freq and found several used by many other airplanes and airports so i listen to them also. i havnt been able to pickup any military aircraft in our area, i been searching though. i did find rockford airport uses some military aircraft freq though. i can pickup the airport clear. and im in loves park. do you have the right freq programmed in your scanner? what scanners u got? i got a pro-95 and pro-97 so if u got one those i can provide ya with a file to program in your scanner if ya like? where do you live? u said like 10 miles from the airport so you cant be far from me, i wonder why u cant pickup the airport? its kinda cool listenin to the airplanes, the other day when the storms hit i heard them divert planes to rockford and one of them hit a bird and declared an emergency landing. that was fun listenin to.

whats ur email addy? mine is freybearfreakfan@aol.com email me when ya get a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.