Winnipeg Airport

sirkaptnjay

Premium Subscriber
Have the freq's for the the WAA both conventional and digital.

The conventional freq's for the Approach and Departure work along with Tower, Ground etc. The issue is how much static there is .I can hear but just barely as its got a huge amount of static on all the conventional freq's. Is there a tone or something I don't know about, or is this a maybe a positioning issue with the antenna?

I use a basic Uniden antenna and an TG59 coax connected to a BNC at about 8 feet when I am outside with approx 2 inches of bare copper at the end.

Not sure why there is so much static with the WAA conventional.

mciupa

Boomer
You can rule out tones. They are all CSQ (carrier squelch) The issue may be the height of the antenna and what obstructions there are from your location to the airport.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ Say it, say 'ENCRYPTION'
Any of the frequencies between 108 and 137MHz are going to be AM mode. It also depends on your distance, terrain and vegetation between you and the transmitter site(for example, YEG approach, departure, tower and ground transceivers are about 2 miles west of the actual airport). As the signal strength decreases, it gets over taken by noise and you will start to hear static.

First I would try having 22" of bare copper on the end of your coax, have it vertical, and add 22" of wire to the shield, and have it hang directly below the centre conductor. This makes a rough and dirty 1/2 wave dipole that will be close to resonant on Airband frequencies.

2 inches of bare wire on the end of the coax is approximately a 1/4 on 900MHz.

Keep in mind that the airband stuff isn't intended to be used on the ground(yes the tower and ground frequencies are used on the ground) but approach and departure frequencies are exclusively used by air craft in the air, at altitude.

sirkaptnjay

Premium Subscriber
Second question...
I have noticed that the departure (East) frequency is the same at the St Andrew's Airport as it is at the James Armstrong airport... Tha'ts courtesy of Sky Vector.

Now I live literally between both airports. My question is, am I gonna get interference between both using the same frequency? Or does that frequency get controlled by the tower at YWG seeing as though both airports are pretty close to each other...

BC_Scan

I use a basic Uniden antenna and an TG59 coax connected to a BNC at about 8 feet when I am outside with approx 2 inches of bare copper at the end.

Not sure why there is so much static with the WAA conventional.
sounds like this is your static problem , AIRBAND by nature doesnt have those issues that being said you need to eliminate AC power as your problem
My question is, am I gonna get interference between both using the same frequency?

am I gonna get interference between both using the same frequency
plug it in and find out , I would imagine possibly that Nav Canada has that set up thru so that its not an issue

sirkaptnjay

Premium Subscriber
sounds like this is your static problem , AIRBAND by nature doesnt have those issues that being said you need to eliminate AC power as your problem
plug it in and find out , I would imagine possibly that Nav Canada has that set up thru so that its not an issue
I got it figured out. I was able to construct a dipole that eliminated the static issue. As for the frequency deal, yes I can definitely hear both being where I am situated, it's pretty cool to be perfectly honest.