Winnipeg city radio shop for police and fire illegally loaded software for decryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I'd really like to see the rest of this DHS guys case load and who is green lighting his investigations

Correct me if I'm wrong but did you just get investigated by a guy who came up with allegation on behalf of a corporation that unaware there's an investigation over something you've already received permission to do?

Last edited:

N4KVE

Yes, I do remember the AGC improvements you did for the Trbo radios. I commend you for that. They later adopted your work on that project. My point is the AES upgrade should have been kept on the "down low".

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
I'd really like to see the rest of this DHS guys case load and who is green lighting his investigations
Oh, that's simple. Assistant U.S. Attorney Steven Dollear. Who's that? He's the same AUSA who prosecuted the Chinese national who worked at Motorola and stole trade-secrets. Just Google his name, with Motorola after it. I called him out on this early on in the investigation. Apparently AUSAs don't like it when suspects/targets phone them directly. I did. Lots. To be fair to Mr. Dollear, he was professional at all times, unlike Mr. Wilt from HSI.

chrismol1 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but did you just get investigated by a guy who came up with allegation on behalf of a corporation that unaware there's an investigation over something you've gotten permission to already do?
Pretty much. Except Wilt alleged I had supplied encryption to Mexican drug cartels. Why? Because "they uncovered radios that had encryption in them from drug cartels". Someone ratted out my post/ad from the other website, and made me out to be some kind of cartel tech support/salesman. I have never had any communication (knowingly) with any criminal element.

Further, DHS HSI (Petey) tried to sting me twice, prior to Dayton, to encrypt radios that were either destined for central America or for persons who were sketchy-as-fark and had no interest in amateur radio. I refused to provide services in both instances.

When I was returning to Canada from Hamvention 2016, HSI Petey tried to detain (not arrest) me at Chicago O'Hare. I refused to play his game. He delayed a plane of at least 200 people by 45 minutes, in an attempt to guilt-trip me into going with him. I refused. No warrant, no arrest, foxtrot oscar.

Speaking on the stress I've experienced over the last three years resulting from this matter, I truly hope Peter Wilt dies. He's a useless scumbag who is the definition of a hostile, enemy combatant terrorist. He has terrorized me, my family, my friends and others who were caught up in his investigation. I have nothing but contempt for him. The world will be a better place once he's no longer living among us. To be clear, I'm not threatening him in any way. I just hope he dies. Free speech.

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
My point is the AES upgrade should have been kept on the "down low".
Why? What's so bad about encryption? Are you aware of the laws relating to encryption?

Please read: The public use of ENCRYPTION

I use encryption every day. Why? Because I value my privacy and don't appreciate being archived by my own government. That's why the NSA built Bluffdale. All citizens should be aware of what goes on with tax-dollars. What happens at Bluffdale is disgusting. Data-mining and profile building. It's automated, organized and used for identifying "threats" that don't really exist. They invent these "threats". Cancer is more of a threat than "drug cartels" and "terrorists".

It's unreasonable for me to believe I can educate/convince everyone of the mass surveillance/archival of your digital communications. Please, don't believe me. Educate yourselves on the facts and make your own determinations. Here's a fairly neutral source of information about Bluffdale: Utah Data Center - Wikipedia

Just remember the revelations that came out when Snowden revealed PRISM.

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
Had someone not openly advertised XPR AES-256 upgrades...

Why should he have kept quiet when he had permission? And, what's the big deal about AES-256 anyway? Radios with AES-256 are everywhere and almost any P25 radio that you buy today seems to come with AES-256. What's wrong with AES-256 in a MotoTrbo radio?

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
What's wrong with AES-256 in a MotoTrbo radio?

An XPR series radio, with AES-256 is a fraction of the cost of an APX series radio with AES-256 in it.

It’s shady business practice in trying to force their customers to a much higher priced(and inferior) platform in order to have real voice security.

Same as limiting the 800MHz DMR gear from being able to work on NPSAC(sp?) frequencies. They do it to try and force their customers over to P25 at a much significantly inflated price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N4KVE

Why should he have kept quiet when he had permission? And, what's the big deal about AES-256 anyway? Radios with AES-256 are everywhere and almost any P25 radio that you buy today seems to come with AES-256. What's wrong with AES-256 in a MotoTrbo radio?
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Moto does not offer AES-256 for Trbo radios in NA, even though they offer it on P25 radios here.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Given the phony allegations that Motherola has spread regarding selling the encryption to the "Cartel", i am surprised Mars has not sued Motorola for libel, defamation etc,. It might bring an early end to this nonsense.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
An easy to get Canadian EID takes care of that.

Better to just go to Tait Tier 3 DMR or Kenwood NXDN Type C system and not get ****ed around, and be able to have AES-256 for proper secure voice. Plus, Kenwood subscribers cannot be cloned into the system. They must be provisioned by ESN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N4KVE

Given the phony allegations that Motherola has spread regarding selling the encryption to the "Cartel", i am surprised Mars has not sued Motorola for libel, defamation etc,. It might bring an early end to this nonsense.
Probably due to the fact that the Fed’s have lawyers on retainer who can outlast any of our abilitities to pay for legal representation.

N4KVE

You're completely missing the point. He had permission for ham use so whether or not Motorola offered the feature commercially is irrelevant.
No you’re missing the point. If Moto does not offer this feature, how could he? Unmentionable soft ware? When you open Trbo CPS, at the top of the tree is a list of your radio’s features, what features are available for purchase, & what features have been purchased. Nowhere is AES showing as “available for purchase”.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Guy, I dont believe Mars is being chased by Motorola considering he has permission nor was Motorola involved in any of this. I believe he saying this was done independently by a homeland security investigator who took it upon himself to conduct international affairs without warrant

looks like radios arent much needed anymore
Everyone else uses cell phones including el chapo
Canadian CEO arrested in US on charges of supplying encrypted phones to Mexican cartels

Last edited:

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
No you’re missing the point. If Moto does not offer this feature, how could he? Unmentionable soft ware? When you open Trbo CPS, at the top of the tree is a list of your radio’s features, what features are available for purchase, & what features have been purchased. Nowhere is AES showing as “available for purchase”.

The feature is built into the firmware and somebody was smart enough to figure that out. According to the post, he had permission to turn it on for hams. It's not any different than writing custom firmware for a non-commercial / hobbyist use.

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned

What unmentionable software? Seriously. There is no such thing. If you were referring to the depot software, it’s sole function is firmware/region flashing and serial number changes. It does not allow you to activate features.

As for Motorola not offering the feature, then why isn’t it removed from the firmware? FYI, you can purchase this feature with approval of a regional manager.

It’s also available to anybody who wishes to purchase it online, in the EMEA (Europe) market.

Further, it is unlawful to export controlled items without an export control permit. This applies to AES. Perhaps Motorola can explain why their AS market (Asia) firmware supports AES, by means of it already being embedded in the firmware? Export control of the AES algorithm applies to embedded functions. Export control is based on export to a specific entity. Motorola is committing a criminal offence by shipping the XiR P8668 (XPR7550) to whatever parties.

Also, AES (the Rijndael algorithm) does not belong to the United States. I hope everyone is very aware of this. The United States chose to use this for their standard. It was developed by two Belgians, and it’s an open-source project available to the world.

Trying to place export controls on something that does not belong to them, is really “out there”.

rightsaidfred

Ummmm isn't a word, and you make yourself sound stupid when you start a sentence with it..

How is having my property taken against my will nearly three years ago, resulting in no criminal charges and having suffered at the hands of a terrorist government my fault again? Peter Wilt from DHS HSI is a hostile, enemy combatant terrorist. He victimized three people that day. He made allegations which were categorically false and isn't man enough to apologize for his actions.

I appreciate the ad hominem attack and it clearly shows that you have some hostility and are posting angrily.
I wish you the best Sean and really hope you find some peace.

Last edited:

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
I appreciate the ad hominem attack and it clearly shows that you have some hostility and are posting angrily.
I wish you the best Sean and really hope you find some peace.

Sorry, I don’t know you. You act like you know me? I think you kind of sound like a stalker.

I do not hate the good people of the United States of America. I think your government is unstable and people who blindly support what your government has become should have a reality check.

All the best.

P.S. Nice ninja edit of your post. I was responding to something completely different. You should apologize for misleading people and pulling a fast one.

rightsaidfred

Sorry, I don’t know you. You act like you know me? I think you kind of sound like a stalker.

I do not hate the good people of the United States of America. I think your government is unstable and people who blindly support what your government has become should have a reality check.

All the best.

P.S. Nice ninja edit of your post. I was responding to something completely different. You should apologize for misleading people and pulling a fast one.

I thought I would be nice but I can repost it and bash you. But if I did that I would be doing what you are doing and posting hate.
And what says I am an American?
And I still appreciate the personal attacks there- I am sitting what many already are saying. That article states a few things that make you look bad.
Now, go and keep posting. I tried being nice but it’s not worth it. I really hope you would chill because all you are doing is trashing Motorola and feds. What does that accomplish? It makes you feel better? It doesn’t help the hobby that’s for sure.
Well, good luck to you again. I am done responding to you but you will probably keep at it and try to make yourself look good. What has happened is over. Let it go.

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
I thought I would be nice but I can repost it and bash you.
That's not very nice.

rightsaidfred said:
But if I did that I would be doing what you are doing and posting hate.
It's called free speech. I hate Peter H. Wilt of Wheaton, IL. Do you hate Osama Bin Laden? Hitler? Mondays? I bet you do. We're on the same page.

rightsaidfred said:
And what says I am an American?
Your atrocious grammar, mostly. And the fact you posted about monitoring a military base on the west coast about six weeks ago. You also became upset and accused others of bullying you because they were exercising their free speech, too. See a pattern here?

rightsaidfred said:
And I still appreciate the personal attacks there- I am sitting what many already are saying. That article states a few things that make you look bad.
Keep sitting on it, then.

rightsaidfred said:
Now, go and keep posting.
Thanks, I appreciate the permission. Is this expressed or implied consent?

rightsaidfred said:
I tried being nice but it’s not worth it.
Why? You should be nice to people.

rightsaidfred said:
I really hope you would chill because all you are doing is trashing Motorola and feds.
Do you represent either party? Are you a fan of Motorola and the feds? I'm sorry if I've upset them. I hope they'll be OK.

rightsaidfred said:
What does that accomplish? It makes you feel better?
Actually, yes. Posting the truth and my side of the story has been somewhat therapeutic for me. My stress is still high and I'm working on bringing my blood pressure under control. Overall, I've had a good experience. What about you?

rightsaidfred said:
It doesn’t help the hobby that’s for sure.
I believe it does help the hobby when we remind the grossly-uneducated public of their rights and address lies spewed by the liberal media. What doesn't help the hobby is spreading misinformation, publicly asking for frequencies so you can monitor federal installations, or streaming police departments without their consent, but who's keeping track?

rightsaidfred said:
Well, good luck to you again.
Thanks, man. You too.

rightsaidfred said:
I am done responding to you but you will probably keep at it and try to make yourself look good.
I can't make myself look good. I have a really big nose and my nostrils are kind of flared. I have considered plastic surgery but I'm kind of at that age where zero foxtrots are given, you know? But I appreciate you letting me know you're finished responding.

rightsaidfred said:
What has happened is over. Let it go.
I'd actually be elated if I heard from the AUSA (Mr. Steven Dollear) who was handling the matter, formally advising me that it's over. But it's been three years and it doesn't appear to be over. Please let me know if you hear something from him. Maybe you can give him a call for me? He just hangs up when I call. His office number is (312) 353-5359. He's usually in from 9-5 central time. You can let him know Shaun is looking to move on with his life and would really appreciate it if he assists in this process.

All the best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.