WiNRADiO AX-81S Active HF Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
Picks up lots of noise. Stick with a wire antenna....anything over 20 feet long...nothing else. No need to get a tuner as this is for receive only. If you want to go all out get a PAR End - fed SWL wire antenna...kicks butt

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Have never used a wire antenna. Do you have to be perfectly straight laying it out? Would have to do a 90 degree turn (about 6 feet) to feed it to the window from the trees I would use. Thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
For a starter, the PAR is very hard to beat. While it can take bends and not really lose much, never bend the antenna back upon itself in a U pattern. You may find that it isn't working very well, in part due to unwanted interactions between the 2 legs. The PAR is available from several places, including Universal radio.

However if you have to hide the antenna because of condo Nazis or a HOA, a loop (such as the W6LVP loops that have been discussed a great deal) is a very good choice. We have a lot of links for these antennas here....

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Loops

What radio are you looking to use with the antenna? Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A loop will work quite well with that - if you get the LVP loop, make sure you get the one with the T/R switch just in case you transmit by mistake. Under USD300, not including the tripod or mounting....Mike

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Trying to figure out a good coax that has some flex to it. Looking at the instructions for the PAR, looks like 3 different ways to put it up. Is there one good way or have to experiment? Thinking of trying horizontal first, about 15 feet in the air. Suggestions?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Trying to figure out a good coax that has some flex to it. Looking at the instructions for the PAR, looks like 3 different ways to put it up. Is there one good way or have to experiment? Thinking of trying horizontal first, about 15 feet in the air. Suggestions?

No need to get fancy - we're not concerned with cable loss at these frequencies. A good quality RG-58 or similar will do just fine. Be sure to waterproof your connections to the box. And while the user guide shows 3 different combos, you will need to experiment to find one that works best for you. This includes changing the connections at the box. Every RF environment is different, so it's next to impossible to predict which one will do the job for you

Mike

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Changing connections at the box? Will have the box toward the bottom of the tree that’s close to my window where I bring the coax into the house. Wire will go up the tree, then out hoping the next tree is close enough. If not, have a 16 foot pole and tripod to attach the other end. I read the instructions. Inverted L was considered the best but won’t be going that route. Will try horizontal first. Then try a slope to see what works best. If it works, then take my super antenna on my camping trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.