Winradio G39DDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol100

Insane

I bet there's a few out there that will be putting the coins a way. :)
Lets hope we get some feedback from who ever gets one..... Token?

SCPD

QRT
Look at the specifications... it's performance is not going to be the same as the G31/G33. It'd be still really cool to play with one but not at that price.

PresentedIn4D

Personally, I'm not all too interested in the new hardware...Expensive, does more than I need, ect. However, the updated look of the software is nice. Smoother, feels like it fits the Windows 7 environment more.

smiffy333

G39DDC user

WiNRADiO WR-G39DDC "Excelsior" Receiver Series

Anybody played with this yet, looks really nice but pricey.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I have one of these to go with my G315e.
I use the G39 for search and hand off if necessary to the G315 as it has better filtering.
Impressions of the receiver... quite incredible.
Search speed.. huge. I can cover the mil airband in under 0.3sec and log any hits or spikes on the search scope. (Not that I do monitor the Milair band of course)!
then narrow in and add to memory... very very good.
OK.... also very expensive. But not if you are a commercial organisation or Government agency.
This receiver makes practically all the other kit I have redundant!.
I sure love my R9000, but this is so much better.. In truth, for everyday use the filtering is fine.
Only in cases where other signals are high in level and very close does the receiver have a problem.
The programmable filters are incredibly sharp.. very easy to cut a digital signal in half and leave just the wanted part. (No real reason to do it but does show just what sort of filtering is possible.
I still love the old analogue receivers though. I would never get rid of the R9000 or indeed the HF RA-1778
Also good support from Radixon in the UK.

hermite

Premium Subscriber
My Experience with Winradio G39DDC

I purchased my G39DDCe in July 2012.
As commented by smiffy333, it is a fine SDR with great features, and yes, way over priced.

HOWEVER, note the following:

Hardware:
1) Don't expect to put that unit beside your bed for night time scanning as the heatsink fan is louder than my 4 Dual core and graphics card fans combined
2) The power adapter has a noticable hum

Software:
DO NOT purchase:

The Client Server Option thinking that everyone will have their own dedicated session with the receiver.There is 1 master operator, and everyone else listens on that session. So, instead of getting ripped off $500, use either Windows Remote Destop. Splashtop for your IPad, or LogmeIn and simply watch the 'master operator' run the receiver. It is truly a Networking Version as opposed to a true client server concept.

After 1.5 year of promises on releasing the ATO, the Advanced Trunking Option use that same old interface as in 2008!
You would think that having 2 'Virtual Receivers' on the G39DDC would enable the 'Dual Receiver Mode' on the ATO... but no. They suggest to purchase another G315 or G39DDC to be able to follow the Traffic and not just the Control channel. So, I got ripped off another $300, + $200 for the APCO-25.

Without prejudice and in my opinion, I do not recommend doing any type of business with WinRadio.
They lack proper documentation of their product and have poor support (I have all Email correspondance with the CEO to support this). They are not a 'Software' shop... so the concept of '30 day trial' license on their¨plugins does not exist... you must buy the product to evaluate it and find out it suck!

SCPD

QRT
Hermite, thanks for your comments. I just about pulled the trigger on the G39 at Christmas time but the price just didn't sit well with me... Like you, I was skeptical about their trunking and P25 support. I think that software should be *included* with the G39! :)

Very good to know about the fan on the G39. If you get a chance, would you mind doing a quick recording of it in normal operation? I would just like to know how "loud" loud is...

Regarding the "hum" on the power supply -- did you swap this out for a linear version? I'm guessing the included power supply is probably a switching version..?

-Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.