Winradio WR-G305e; questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb4mdz

OK, brand new to this SDR stuff. So here's the deal:

Have a WinRadio WR-G305e I got from surplus "doesn't work" OK, no lights; check wallwart; cracked case, found a broken wire, 1 minute solder job & everything works great!

So I'd like to set it up to access it remotely; maybe pop it & the antenna in the attic and ethernet or even WiFi access to it so I can run the PC program, without being tied to a cable.

Normal local access to it is a USB port on the PC to D-connector on the radio itself. There is an optional serial cable to go from serial port on the PC to the serial port on the radio, with an audio plug at the PC end to connect to the soundcard.

Any thoughts? Cheaper thoughts preferred, but you know.

majoco

Stirrer
Unfortunately that's not a 9-pin "D" connector - it's some proprietary connector with 16 pins. Somewhere in that connector must be some form of serial to parallel converter because the lead is a fast bi-directional device which makes it quite tricky to cobble up an interface. If you do want to put it up in your attic you'll have to supply the 12volts up there too. I notice that Winradio make no mention of an extension cable so perhaps the length is rather critical - there's more going on in that cable than is immediately apparent.

There was a software update in September last year which you should probably download from the website.

The GUI is a bit clunky compared to the newer bricks but still works very well. I recommend download the software "JB's Station List" where you can install the EiBi frequency list for the HF bands and even make your own lists - it will read the frequency from the radio and also you can click on the EiBi frequency and it will tune the radio. Read the Station List web page and then read it again - it's reasonably complicated but a lot of the verbiage is for the Perseus. It also requires "SpecLab.xrs" to interface between the radio and your computer but that's on the site too. Great receiver with lots of hidden stuff. I have the G303e and the G33DDC and they both are great receivers. A word of warning - buy an SMA to BNC jumper lead and secure it to keep the strain off the SMA antenna connector - they're quite fragile - DON'T get an adaptor! Make sure you get the correct SMA connector.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.