Wintergreen Ski Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinscrw

I am headed to Wintergreen next week and thought I might program my scanner. I am familar with the Motorolla system. I am having trouble with my scanner asking me for a LCN number after I program the freq. Any help or sugestions would greatly be appreciated.

KF4ZTO

I would recommend FRS/GMRS scanning whilst up there, and the national ski patrol system channels, 155.160, 155.205, 155.340, etc. Last time I was at wintergreen every single FRS channel had at least one group chatting away on it. Interesting to see how quickly people figure out the concept of CTCSS tones when FRS is congested.

K4APR

According to the database, it's not a Motorola system. It's an LTR system.
Wintergreen Resort Trunking System, Wintergreen, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies
At least you'll have plenty of (natural) snow up there. ;-)

Yep, it is LTR standard, according to the database, so your scanner, if LTR capable should be able to trunk it. Having said that, looking at the frequencies listed, I dare say the database is missing a couple. The LCN order is a must, BUT if you have a missing frequency, even if you have the correct LCNs on the known frequencies, you are going to miss traffic on those other channels.

Each radio in the system is designated a "home channel". Normally, they would take the total number of channels and divide that into the total number of suscriber units. The resulting number is the number of units assigned to each home channel. When the radio comes up for a channel grant, it will always look to its home channel for clear use. If the channel is busy, it will move on to the next LCN in the order.

On a low to moderately busy system, most of the time, the a user is going to find it's home channel available, so it will normally use that channel for the call. If you do not have that channel programmed, you will miss any traffic that takes place on it. On the occasion the home channel is busy and the call is pulled down the LCN order, you might just happen to have that channel programmed and hear the call.

Status
Not open for further replies.