WinXX "registration agreement"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonS

Anyone who's registered one of my WinXX programs in the last couple of years has been required to "click through" a web page where they agree to certain terms and conditions. Among those are a) they've used the software during its free trial period and are satisfied that it works for them, with both their computer and scanner, and b) all support is via email.

Is there anyone for whom this is confusing?

I ask because I've got someone who is all bent out of shape because he can't figure out Win97. He's essentially accusing me of fraud, saying I've not delivered what was promised - while he has acknowledged that he did receive a Win97 registration key, exactly what was promised. He isn't satisfied with email support (though we've had a lengthy email conversation over the last couple of days), and acknowledges that he never used Win97's "free trial". He's already tried to dispute the registration fee with PayPal, but PayPal "closed the case" on him. Somehow, I'm the bad guy in this situation, but I don't yet understand how.

If anyone sees any problems with my "agreement" web page, could you please post some revision suggestions here?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I don't see any problem with it. I think it's a no-brainer. If he didn't read the registration (many don't - I didn't for a long time) then he automatically has nothing to complain about. I wouldn't think to come back and give you s**t because _I_ failed to read the fine print / the agreement. That's just silly. The guy should be thoroughly embarrassed that he is crying like a baby - especially over the pittance you charge for hte product.

I've never had a problem with you - then again I only bought one program from you (Win500). It was well worth the money, and I'm confident that all of your products are worth more to the people who bought them than what they actually paid for the program.

Of course, from what I"ve read from some others and their experience with you, and from what I've seen in some of your comments, I'm sure you aren't always a "pleasant" person to deal with. But I have no doubts about the quality / pricing of your software or the agreement you have on your site or the support you give to paying customers. You're top notch.

Part of me says that you should just tell the guy to GFH (use your imagination), but then again I recall somebody else who was moaning abuot an experience with you who actually ended up showing up at your residence (which is BS). You don't want to encourage that either :)

Mike

DonS said:
Anyone who's registered one of my WinXX programs in the last couple of years has been required to "click through" a web page where they agree to certain terms and conditions. Among those are a) they've used the software during its free trial period and are satisfied that it works for them, with both their computer and scanner, and b) all support is via email.

Is there anyone for whom this is confusing?

I ask because I've got someone who is all bent out of shape because he can't figure out Win97. He's essentially accusing me of fraud, saying I've not delivered what was promised - while he has acknowledged that he did receive a Win97 registration key, exactly what was promised. He isn't satisfied with email support (though we've had a lengthy email conversation over the last couple of days), and acknowledges that he never used Win97's "free trial". He's already tried to dispute the registration fee with PayPal, but PayPal "closed the case" on him. Somehow, I'm the bad guy in this situation, but I don't yet understand how.

If anyone sees any problems with my "agreement" web page, could you please post some revision suggestions here?

n7jei

Premium Subscriber
The guy is a few diodes short of a rectifier. I've been using your software since Win92. Have Win96 and 97. Absolutely no complaints, definitely worth every penny, and I *love* the RR import function. I'm glad paypal did you right. Also, what commercial software lets you use it for FREE to try it out? (I'm not talking about limited or crippled stuff.. the real deal.) Thanks for great products! I think I'll buy a new GRE scanner since Win97 will program it.

Last edited:

DonS

n7jei said:
The guy is a few diodes short of a rectifier.
Yeah, a half wave.

It turns out that he's a Realtor in MA. I wonder if he lets his clients enter into contracts, then renege on paying him his commission.

djmusic1666

DonS i have been useing your pro96 test version , and honestly i dont see a thing wrong

at all with it. but i do wished you could take mastercard tho . and dont give that guy a

thought now . just keep makeing your great software fo us all to enjoy !!!

DonS

djmusic1666 said:
DonS i have been useing your pro96 test version , and honestly i dont see a thing wrong at all with it. but i do wished you could take mastercard tho . and dont give that guy a thought now . just keep makeing your great software fo us all to enjoy !!!
My credit card processor does accept MasterCard. They do, however, require a "verified" address - which means that "gift cards" won't work, and some banks' debit cards may have a problem.

Thayne

I have been in the service business for a long time and let me tell you that Doctors, lawyers, realtors, etc. who I would think have an abundance of money (Because of the way they act) are ABSOLUTELY the worst when it come to being tight, yet everyday "Normal" people will usually gladly pay their way.

You have always been fair as far as I am concerned.

djmusic1666

DonS said:
My credit card processor does accept MasterCard. They do, however, require a "verified" address - which means that "gift cards" won't work, and some banks' debit cards may have a problem.

hi donS :) thank you very much for that info . and i see like i said iam on the trial version

right now . and iam sure if i had a problem with my bank card . and i pmed you with all

info you need . it would get worked out with np at all . an if i did not get it right then

I,LL shoot my bank in the foot !!!:p

rchalupajr

I use Win92, Win93. Win95 and have Registered copies of Win 96 and 97. All of these have worked great for me with no problem's. Once I save a few more buck's and purchase the new PSR-500 & 600, I will no doubt be purchasing a win500 key. Probably a PSRedit as well. :cool: . It sounds like this guy need's to do a little more reading and get some help and answers off the board's. I'm no wiz on a computer, but they are not very hard fo figure out. And when in doubt...... Ask!

XTS3000

Being in the radio business for 10+ years, there are some people, not matter what you do will never be satified. I struggles with this exact problem a few times.

What would I do? Refund the knucklehead his money ( I know it sucks...), and take the loss. On your next software update/revision, blacklist his serial number. If you use individual serials for each customer, when/if his serial is entered into new software, he gets a nasty note.

I would make sure you state:
By purchasing this software, you have ALREADY tested it thourghly with all scanners & computers. No refunds will be given due to the fact this is shareware, allowing the purchaser to fully test and verify before purchase.

I've refused to give refunds to 1 guy, who threatened to take me to small claims court. Knowing I was 100% in the right, I told him I'll be at court when he files the case. I also let him know after I won, I would take him to small claims court. Never heard back from the guy - its been 6 years so I doubt I'll hear from him again THANKFULLY.

Some people will never be satisified, no matter how hard you try.

Good luck

PS you've done nothing wrong - happens to the best of us sometimes

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Don,

Not sure where I saw this already alluded to, but since the majority of my moderating time is spent here, I am willing to bet that it is here. Obviously the guy is one of those types who wants their clients to sign documents but won't let them read through them, so he probably doesn't read them either...oh well. As I have said many, many, many times...getting your software is the easiest thing I had to do to get software. Every other (including Uniden free) software involved a lot more hoops to jump through. If he didn't read what he agreed to there, he probably didn't read what he agreed to here either (a problem for another thread) so will probably run afoul of our TOS sooner or later also.

Stick to the facts and let him stew.

D

DaveNF2G

I agree with every observation that has been made here. I particularly endorse the suggestion that the nitwit be given a refund so he will go away. It sticks in my craw, too, but it's not worth the stress and ill will IMO.

SCPD

QRT
If I were you, I would not give this guy a cent back. It was up to him to read the agreement and he paid and received a key. So the transaction is done. Its up to him to learn to use the software, and if he has been getting support then really he has nothing to complain about. If he cannot work it out still, then why should you suffer for his own stupidity??? Maybe he should bash his head against the wall a few times as payment.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Some people just shouldn't be allowed near electricity. It's not your job to handhold such people. They're incapable of being handheld. They want someone to come to their home and 'do it for them'.

That's not the service you sell. You make a good product, one which anyone with an IQ over 95 should be able to use with a little trial and error. Raising this 'fine fellow' into the ranks of the 'cranially unchallenged' is not your responsibility.

Note his name and info to yourself, don't ever sell him anything else, no matter how much he whines, and forget about him.

At most, refer him here for his demanded 'handholding'.

rawman

I haven't purchased my licenses yet, however I am evaluating both the 500 and the 97. When I looked at your site the first time I saw the instructions about downloading and trying the software first, so that's what I am doing. It was fairly clear to me.

pappy1

DonS, DO not give him his money back... evidently he has tried this scam on other people and won his money back to keep him off their back and he gets the product for free. Some people are like that. I did not read anything in the agreement where you would give telephone support. Now tell him to stuff it.
My way of thinking.
Pappy1

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Don,

You're doing good. You've added a lot to the scanning community. You'll always have a toad when you do business, unfortunately. I've used win95, 97, 500 and I like them all.

hoser147

pappy1 said:
DonS, DO not give him his money back... evidently he has tried this scam on other people and won his money back to keep him off their back and he gets the product for free. Some people are like that. I did not read anything in the agreement where you would give telephone support. Now tell him to stuff it.
My way of thinking.
Pappy1

I agree with what pappy is sayin, he's probably bought alot of software and raises cain and gets his cake and eats it too. Fortunately most people arent like this by nature, You provide good software at a decent price and your customer service has been 2nd to none. Forget this clown..............Hoser

Status
Not open for further replies.