• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wire an SCU-17 to my Radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
WTF nobody here have any clue how to wire a Sound modem to a cb Radio??!!!!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Are you referring to the Yaesu SCU-17? If so, the information in the Instruction Manual seems to be pretty clear. While the examples shown in the manual are for Yaesu radios, they should provide enough information for interfacing this unit with any radio that has receive audio, transmit audio, PTT, and ground available for outside connections.

This forum may have an international reach, but most of the members are in the U.S. The rules for Citizens Band in the U.S. allow only voice to be transmitted. I suspect that there is very little interest in the U.S. for using the SCU-17 with CB. As a result, not many people here are going to be able to help you.

Your_account

Banned
The rules for Citizens Band in the U.S. allow only voice to be transmitted. I suspect that there is very little interest in the U.S. for using the SCU-17 with CB.
But the people who deal with radio stuff normally should understand what does it mean:
Code:
PIN 1  Microphone NF  
PIN 2  PTT-RX contact (on GND during reception) - also for  NF uncoupling packet radio 
PIN 3  PTT-TX contact (on GND during transmission)  
PIN 4  UP/DOWN button (caution, special circuit for AE 5890 EU) 
PIN 5  Ground, shielding
ok I know what Ground is but the rest?!
PTT-RX contact
?!
I know what RX/ TX mean but now what kind of contract the talk about.
Microphone NF
?! Narrow Frequency?!
Sorry the German Information is more confusing than the English.

And what kind of cable do i need?!
Sorry I have no clue and I found no Explanation (for Beginner) who is understandable.
A good English how to how does it work would be enough. There are a lot of Youtube Videos who show that it work but not how. Like when people use an Software where the Type Text in and on the other Send sound come out. ok and what is required to get there? What does the Settings mean?!....

Your_account

Banned
Just out of curiosity, have you tried the Europe Radio Discussion Forum and post there?
There you can hear the sound of silence.
why did you use English in your post # 15 in the below listed thread?
I was many times in Poland but I dont speak one word Polish.
There is no other way to talk to people from Poland than with a friendly replay in English.
I dont know where you are from but here in Europe every Language Group for example German, "CZ / SK", PL, Spanish, Italian,... do there own think. We realy dont know many think about the other Language Groups like News or Political Discussion, Laws or what every because we dont understand anything.
That mean its quite impossible to find someone outside of the Language Group you speak.
English mean normally (EU and) UK related stuff or US and nowadays AUS.
There is no "Radio" SDR European Forum where you find people from other Country.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Code:
PIN 1  Microphone NF  
PIN 2  PTT-RX contact (on GND during reception) - also for  NF uncoupling packet radio 
PIN 3  PTT-TX contact (on GND during transmission)  
PIN 4  UP/DOWN button (caution, special circuit for AE 5890 EU) 
PIN 5  Ground, shielding

Pin 1 sounds like microphone audio. In other words audio from the microphone going to the mic audio circuit of the radio. This would be transmit audio from your SCU-17. I'm not sure what the "NF" means.

Pin 2 sounds like it is grounded when the radio is receiving.

Pin 3 sounds like it is grounded when the radio is transmitting. This may be the PTT signal from your SCU-17.

Pin 4 is the up/down channel changing buttons on the microphone. They probably go to logic circuits in the radio and won't be of any use to you with your SCU-17.

Pin 5 is the ground.

What you are missing is the receive audio from the radio to the SCU-17. Some radios have receive audio on the mic plug and some don't. You may have to get receive audio from an external speaker jack on the back of the radio.

Chronic

in order for that to work there is going to have to be someone on the other end to decode what ever it is that you are going to send . Who are you going to send to ? maybe they can help . otherwise its just going to be a one way transmission

Your_account

Banned
Pin 1 sounds like microphone audio. In other words audio from the microphone going to the mic audio circuit of the radio. This would be transmit audio from your SCU-17. I'm not sure what the "NF" means.
Me to.
What you are missing is the receive audio from the radio to the SCU-17. Some radios have receive audio on the mic plug and some don't. You may have to get receive audio from an external speaker jack on the back of the radio.
Yes I have to use the connector on the Back.
But where does to PPT goes?
Who are you going to send to ?
The same like Amateur Radio user do everyone who listen.
maybe they can help
how to know the unknown cb user?
otherwise its just going to be a one way transmission
Yes maybe but when nobody use it no one will transmitt.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you are doing something no one else is doing, the odds of getting a reply from a random transmission are pretty much zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.