wireless access points

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here's an interesting problem; I want to get hi speed internet in my condo. Unfortunately this building is too old to have the wiring in place to support cable modems. In addition, as we all know, cable modems can be very dirty RF wise.

I'm thinking of going wireless - but before I go making the investment, I need to know whether my area in Maryland has wireless coverage. Only a few places in this area seem to advertise it, so I'm not holding out any hopes. I'd like to find a site where I could look this information up, somewhere. Anyone have any ideas about where to look? I'd still have to deal with the aggravation of getting condo approval for the router's antenna, but since there are a few satellite dishes in the complex, I have a precedent to lean my hat upon.

73 and thanx...Mike

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Try here Mike, for searching ISP's in your area:
http://www.dslreports.com/search

I have my cable modem, and a 4-port/WiFi Netgear router in my radio room and it is not causing me any problems. The cable modem is a Motorola SB5120. I'm hard wired into the router, and the wife's system on the second floor is on WiFi.

You could go with cable, and put your cable modem, and WiFi router in another part of the home, away from your radios.

What are you using now, dial-up? Is DSL available in your area?

shaft

Premium Subscriber
ka3jjz said:
Here's an interesting problem; I want to get hi speed internet in my condo. Unfortunately this building is too old to have the wiring in place to support cable modems. In addition, as we all know, cable modems can be very dirty RF wise.

I'm thinking of going wireless - but before I go making the investment, I need to know whether my area in Maryland has wireless coverage. Only a few places in this area seem to advertise it, so I'm not holding out any hopes. I'd like to find a site where I could look this information up, somewhere. Anyone have any ideas about where to look? I'd still have to deal with the aggravation of getting condo approval for the router's antenna, but since there are a few satellite dishes in the complex, I have a precedent to lean my hat upon.

73 and thanx...Mike
You might find the info you are looking for on dslreports, but its a long shot. Theres not many successful WISPs (Wireless ISPs) out there, and the ones that are in business at the moment might not be tommorow.

You could go the Sprint/Verizon/ATT EVDO (Air Card) route, but I think you might have better performance with the cable modem.

You dont need association approval for installing a wireless router inside your residence, unless you are looking to provide a neighborhood hot spot for your neighbors. If thats the case, association approval is the least of your worries.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Thanks - I saw quite a few entries for my area using DSLReports, so I'll check that out first. Most seemed to be Verizon, ect. While DSL is in my area, my building is too old for that as well - unless it can be carried over the cable TV, and split off somewhere else? Right now all I have available is (yechh!) dial up, and as you might expect, it can be slow...

It seems I have some homework to do first. 73 Mike

wogggieee

Going with the "wireless anywhere" deals from sprint or verizon may be your best bet in this case if it is available in your area.

bezking

Database Admin
Mike, there are certain wireless (Wifi) routers that you can connect a PC Card to so you need not install additional software on the PC, but PCs older than Windows 2000 need special software to use wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.