Wireless Antenna or Remote Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanwise

Hello,

I would like to listen to my scanner during the day but unfortunately I am surrounded by a metal building. I have the option to listening to the feed I am broadcasting but that is a 1 to 2.5 minute delay and it delays my response. (Volunteer Firefighter)

What are my options? Here are a few things I have thought of but I don't know if they are feasible or exist. Running a cable probably won't be possible for me. Everything would have to be wireless.

1. A wireless antenna for my scanner that I can locate the antenna near the edge of the building, near a window.
  2. Have the base module with antenna sitting by the window and then have the head of it by my desk. (again, between the base module and the head would have to be wireless)
  3. Have the base module with antenna sitting by the window and a wireless speaker at my desk that I could plug a headset into. (to not disturb my coworkers)

Between the window and my desk is probably 30 to 40 feet.

Thanks for your help; have a good day!

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
Interesting challenge. I think your easiest option is #3.

You could run a wire from your desk to a window antenna or even outside if the conditions permit. Then you could have your scanner sitting on your desk.

I think buying a cheap set of wireless headphones would be the easiest. The only downfall to that is you would need to keep a set of charged batteries on hand at all times. I wear my wireless headphones when I am working around the house ore even yard work as well.

Someone will likely mention a bluetooth type device. Although that sounds simple, it's costly and 30-40ft is out of the range of a bluetooth transmitter/receiver.

Good Luck

RBMTS

I was going to suggest Bluetooth as well but I agree that the distance is probably too far for BT (especially if you have any walls between your desk and the window. One alternative is to consider some wireless speaker solutions that are made for consumer stereo systems. The transmitter boxes are relatively small. Some allow you to connect headphones to the receiver box or speaker so that you can keep the audio to yourself. I believe many claim distances of 100 feet. So that will probably be your best bet. I'd do some searching on EBay or J&R Music (jr.com).

There is no such thing as a "wireless" antenna so you are out of luck with that idea.

The only other option that might be worth considering is buying the new Uniden 536. It has wireless capability and you can control the scanner remotely via a smartphone, tablet, or your desk PC.

lazierfan

Feed Provider
Purchase a RS Pro-106 or a GREcom psr-500 or similar radio, set it where it gets the best signal, and run a USB from the pc/if jack along with zip wire from the speaker jack, to a pc in the listening room. The run can be up to 80 feet. Then, get Starr's Win500 software, and control the radio from the PC or Smartphone. All controls are top notch, no squelch control for those VHF's, though.

The speaker can also be standalone separate from the pc.

You can also set a firewall port and control your radio that provides the feed anywhere, including fire scene or such.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.