wireless camera? NVR or Stand-alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1879

I have a friend who lives in the country; his wife died, he has no interest or comprehension of computers (she owned a a Mac) and no intent ever to use it . So he has a good computer, and still has internet, as his finance lady uses it when she comes to pay bills. Just his old-fashioned way. Other than when that lady comes over the wifi/ internet is unused.

I think he should utilize this capability for an ip or other camera, to know when visitors are there, however there are a couple of limitations. I will discuss this in a manner that hopefully someone has a suggestion or solution to stand alone- camera transmission , or using the internet system. He does not want or need smartphone display; he will not even text on his phone, but will talk--that is all.

The challenge is this: He has a little building up the driveway about 100' feet from his house, where there is the best vantage point. It has power, but may be out out of wifi range from the house. I have used those usb wifi antennas over here for some good wifi dx, and it would surely give the computer the range to the outbuilding. The wifi router is on the main level of the unfinished home--he lives in the basement and is well shielded from any direct reception from the outbuilding/camera location. He needs to have a way to put the received imagery up on an old tv downstairs, and running a cable from upstairs to the basement would be easy.

My first preference would be a stand-alone wireless camera to monitor setup.. However, the monitor would have to have to be upstairs to get any signal from the outbuilding, and have a aux-vid output to run a cable down to the tv downstairs. The unit I find on Amazon, which would surely work to the upstairs location, has no video output on the cheezy 7" monitor to send the signal down to the tv. It would be simple if there was an affordable system of this type that had an output from the dedicated monitor. An older model with this is very expensive, and the unit I see presently sold claims to have the output on the monitor, but the manual/diagram shows no such output and the irate buyers concur in reviews. He only needs the one camera, and maybe an additional one in the future.

The other way would be through wifi. I am rather ignorant of the possibilities here. I do know a NVR upstairs to feed the signal downstairs from the router might be costly.

Sorry so wordy, but I know a lot of us here on RR like to be "electronic Good Samaritans" and I wanted to get the scenario across for discussion. I see some implications there may be alternative methods and I am seeking your input.
The "Defender " unit would be ideal if it supported vid--out on the monitor.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Defender...hguid=5054d3a8-110-169f41948208bf&athena=true

So, friends and experts, what are your thoughts, please?

thanks,
p1879

Status
Not open for further replies.