Wireless Internet Radio for scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRHKY94

Jobes:

You use the links shown in the screen shot above. It's the http:// url that the player (WinAmp, WMP, Real Player etc) uses for the feed. They do not change & work nicely in the squeezebox radio.

Sorry to horn in on your post Dave!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Horn away, your the one who had it figured out all along ;)

If it does reset in a few days, I can reload the links from the Squeezebox server.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It would be awesome to have a Radioreference plug-in that would let you scroll and select the live streams directly from the web site.

jobes

Feed Provider
Can someone make a request to Lindsay or a mod for a feature like this?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The mod for the live audio stuff is GordonE - he's a member here. You all might want to voice your ideas to him in an email and see what he says. 73 Mike

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The plug-in language is Perl. A help Wiki is here with an example: DeveloperGuide - SqueezeboxWiki

It would need a method of opening the Radioreference audio live server, asking for user name and password, then let you browse to a live audio link. Looks simple enough.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
These wireless Internet radio devices have always interested me. What are the advantages of them over using a spare PC?

NYRHKY94

MPSCS:

I'm listening to mine right now in the family room (on an end table) while I'm watching NFL football. It's much easier (& smaller) than a PC and it gives me access to streams all over the country at the touch of a button.

I used to have my handheld next to me while watching TV, but that obviously restricted me to just my local stuff. As weird as it sounds, I find myself listening to streams in the places I used to live as much as my local stuff. This table top radio gives me the best of both worlds!

And besides, as Scott said, it's a "techie geek" thing :)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
MPSCS:

I'm listening to mine right now in the family room (on an end table) while I'm watching NFL football. It's much easier (& smaller) than a PC and it gives me access to streams all over the country at the touch of a button.

I used to have my handheld next to me while watching TV, but that obviously restricted me to just my local stuff. As weird as it sounds, I find myself listening to streams in the places I used to live as much as my local stuff. This table top radio gives me the best of both worlds!

And besides, as Scott said, it's a "techie geek" thing :)

Nice! Are you using WiFi, or CAT5 cable to your router/switch?

NYRHKY94

Right now I'm using wireless, however the Squeezebox Radio also has a CAT5 jack if you want to have it hard wired. I use both methods based on where I'm listening.

Last edited:

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Just got my squeezebox radio today, so far the setup has been okay, it was a little confusion to connect the squeezebox to a "server", it seems like you need to setup all the feeds on your server aka webpage, similar to setting up a router. Alternatively you can use their server on the radio to find your favorite stations, there seems to be no shortage of stations to listen to, including the ones that are advertised as HD-radio only in the NY market!

The unit works MUCH better with wired connection, but it works quite decent with wireless too if the stream bitrate isn't too high.

The sound quality is amazing, of course you can use their equalizer to fit your taste.

The screen is a little small so from arms length the letters can be hard to read at times.

Here are few shots,

IMG_6045.jpg

IMG_6069.jpg

IMG_6071.jpg

Oh and the kids say hi too!

IMG_6072.jpg

csoguy

I use my iPhone 3G for streaming internet audio...there is a APP for every kind of audio from music to scanner. When in my car I connect my iPhone via Bluetooth or teather to my Pioneer car stereo and broadcast the audio thru my car speakers (can your wireless internet radio box do that..LOL). At work I just play the audio thru the iPhone's speaker...or use my Bluetooth headphones...streaming via my data connection...no open Wi-Fi at work. In my opinion you can't beat the iPhone...you are not limited to only using it via Wi-Fi for streaming...if you have cell service and a data plan...you have streaming internet audio!

The squeezebox is pretty...I'll give it that...but a unneeded piece of electronics thats way to limited for my streaming needs.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
While these Internet radios are cool, I still think a spare PC is much more powerful and flexible for receiving scanner streams. You can monitor several at one time, record and archive the audio 24/7, and still use the computer for other things.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The screen is a little small so from arms length the letters can be hard to read at times.

I have no problems reading the display beyond arms length. :p

New things keep being fixed and added with the firmware updates. Right now I'm trying to get the BBCi player to work correctly. Both the server software and radio firmware get updated.

As for live radio feeds. I've had no problems with the streams on Wifi.

It works well for what it was made to do, an audio extension to the internet.

jobes

Feed Provider
Its another media to have fun with and the box works fine. I too stream using my iPhone in my car using BT and I also have the ability in my car to playback audio (20 mins worth) using a feature like Tivo that my car does. Now that's awesomeness

jobes

Feed Provider
No my in car entertainment system is hard drive based. Any audio I feed into the system I can pause and playback. I can even burn a disc from my front head-unit.

Its a 2010 Buick Lacrosse and its an incredible car
2010-buick-lacrosse-interio.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.