Wireless Router with Bandwidth Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatshovel

I am looking for a wireless router that has the ability to monitor your bandwidth and report how much you have used. The reason I am asking is I would like to monitor my usage via my router since the dsl provider I have is going to start capping customers next year. Anyone of any routers that currently do this? I have DDWRT installed on a WRT54G router but cannot install BWlog since it does not have the memory.

Thanks,
Joey

bpv

Depending on which version WRT54G you have you should be able to flash a verision of Tomato onto it. I started w/ DDWRT and moved to Tomato for the superior bandwidth monitoring interface in preperation for the 250gb/mo Comcast cap.

Tomato Firmware | polarcloud.com

You can see realtime, past 24hrs, daily, weekly, and monthly bandwidth use. You can also specify your reset date to coincide with your providers billing cycle.

Goto http://images.google.com and search "tomato bandwidth" to see screen shots of the monitoring interface

Here is some info on finding your router's version info. Its listed on the sticker underneath it;

Autopsy: Linksys WRT54G and WRT54GS Hardware Versions Under the Knife | LinksysInfo.org

If your version is not supported here is a list of tomato compatible routers to consider purchasing;

http://gazguzla.com/tomato-compatible-router-list/

Last edited:

Flatshovel

Thank you for the information, I have the WRT54G V6 which appears that even tomato is not available for it. I think I might just sell what I have and go with a netgear that does have the monthly monitoring capability in it. Really wish I could get the WRT54G V6 that I have to work but I understand it is a microbuild version of the software and does not have the memory to log the monthly bandwidth.

Thanks,
Joey

KJ6HCB

You can pick up older WRT54Gs on eBay, Craigslist or the swap meets for $10 usually. Probably make money selling your newer one off, buying an older one and have rockin performance with Tomato!

Status
Not open for further replies.