Wiring a AN-LP1 Loop to a R-1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8WCT

Greetings from Ohio!

I just picked up a Kenwood R-1000 receiver. I also have a Sony AN-LP1 antenna, which has a mini 3.5mm phono plug for the output. On the rear of the R-1000, it gives me 2 input options..."A" which is an SO-239, and "B" which is 3 connectors...one labeled "MW", one "GRD", and one "SW". Of course the middle one is for grounding, so how can I wire this antenna to this rig?

kenwood-r-1000-rear.jpg

Thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If it were me, I'd toss together an old plastic box, a 3.5mm female jack on one end, a SO-239 on the other. 5 minutes of wiring and you're done...

Voila, problem solved. You don't ruin the original cable, preserving the LP1 if you ever decide to sell it, and you can continue to use it on portables that can handle it

A win-win all around...Mike

SpectreOZ

The answer really depends on what you want to listen to, I have an R-1000 as well and have 3 antennas connected to it to cover the various bands I tune around.

Unless modified you will need to run an antenna wire to the MW/GND points for LW & MW as the SO-239 doesn't accommodate those segments so well, if you're only into SW then the PL-259 plug adapter suggested above will work fine, personally I'd add a few binding posts to the contraption and have it rigged for LW & MW as well.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Indeed - in some situations, it's too hot - and while the switchable attenuator is fine, there will be times when you want to use less attenuation or perhaps vary it using values that aren't on that switch

That's where our little 'first timer' project comes in handy. There's a bit of front end static protection too - no reason why it wouldn't work on this radio, not just on portables

http://forums.radioreference.com/receive-antennas-below-30mhz/295299-great-first-timer-project.html

Mike

Phil_KD0SCJ

I'll testify to that. I have an R-1000 on a 100' wire, and that little project is a winner. The R-1000 first attenuation is a bit much, so it's nice to have something adjustable. And, when you are not using your radio, you can turn the knob on the project all the way to ground to get some little bit of protection.

Incidentally, the little black plastic rectangle in the back is there to support a 12V DC option, so you can go mobile with this thing. The option is just a jumper cable to the power supply board, there are already terminals on the board to support it. I tried it and it works well... going to make a permanent mod with fuseholder next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.