WISCOM Thread (all posts regarding WISCOM go here)

gootch

Turned my wiscom dnr on friday. No hits so far.

Anyone hearing any DNR activity on WISCOM? I never have heard any and conventional frequencies have been quiet as well. Are they using cell phones for air ops and such during hunting seasons?

Was always fun listening during hunting season!

ffmedjoe

Turned my wiscom dnr on friday. No hits so far.

You'd be hard-pressed to hear any DNR on their WISCOM channels. On others channels, that's where you will find them. Because the state is so big and for safety reasons, they do most of their radio communications on local channels. They also use cellphones and MDT's. They have the state system "MACH" that they can run traffic, people and even see where other LEO's throughout the state are in their vehicles.

sfd119

I do hear some activity on their Digital channel, Gray but as the prior poster stated most of the time they're on the County's channel that they are in.

box23

Gray would be the go to for tactical voice communications between wardens where Purple was before. They also use the warden talkgroups for wider area communications, although rarely.

k9tsu

Scan TGs

May have be discussed before, but I have not found an answer.

What are the WISCOM county Scan TGs for? I understand the point of the travel talk groups, but what is the purpose of the ones labeled "Scan?"

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
What are the WISCOM county Scan TGs for? I understand the point of the travel talk groups, but what is the purpose of the ones labeled "Scan?"

The scan talkgroups were designed for users on WISCOM such as state patrol to be able hear the county traffic without leaving WISCOM. If the user talks on that scan talkgroup it would typically come back on that counties main law channel.

Unlike scanners P25 radios can’t scan between conventional and trunking due to registration and affiliation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k9tsu

The scan talkgroups were designed for users on WISCOM such as state patrol to be able hear the county traffic without leaving WISCOM. If the user talks on that scan talkgroup it would typically come back on that counties main law channel.

Unlike scanners P25 radios can’t scan between conventional and trunking due to registration and affiliation.

Right on. So assuming it “scans” main law, fire, and paging, or similar for each county?

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
It can vary from county to county, some do the main law, Fire, and paging some just do law. Counties that are on P25 sometime don’t have one. Instead their main law channel is ISSI linked to the system

sfd119

Most are just Law. As mentioned they sometimes include fire/ems. They used to be forced out to every site but they no longer are by default.

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
28180 Jefferson County

I'm hearing TG 28180, which is a Jefferson County talkgroup, with what sounds like radio service and/or demo use. Users talking about having to train people on the new radios.

Div106

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like they are members of Lake Mills FD or EMS. They are all over the SE region referencing different tower sites they are near. They kept calling Lake Mills 703 to 704 or vice versa.

Last edited:

prowisscan

This past week, I've heard absolutely no traffic on the Sister Bay site of WISCOM, not even TG 131 state patrol which was very busy on the other 2 Door Co. sites. The control channel is active but not a peep on the Sister Bay site the entire Memorial Weekend.

scannermaster12

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I dont even hear the waukesha county scan TG58010 anymore on the delafield site anymore wish it would go back on again.

sfd119

WISCOM (replacement?) RFP is out: https://esupplier.wi.gov/psp/esuppl...SS_BIDDER_PAGE&Action=U&WI_SS_EVENT_NBR=10510

Some interesting things to note:
*Encrypted or will be encrypted control channels
*95% PORTABLE coverage through out the state.
*Mutual aide conventional statewide overlay with 95% coverage linked to other bands (ie VCALL linked to UCALL and 8CALL).
*State is looking at 5 SOWs instead of the one they currently have.
*RFP calls for 25% increased capacity.

djeplett

"While current P25 standards do not now provide for encryption of trunked system control channels, such technology is likely to be adopted as these standards continue to evolve. The new System shall be software-configurable to support the P25 control channel encryption standard being developed by TIA."

Let's hope the system ends up just being able to be upgraded to encrypted control channels and not actually using them.

Pat

Premium Subscriber
Also keep in mind that this is a draft RFP, so additions and deletions are possible until the deadline on Sept 14th.

I'm glad the goal is 95% portable coverage at the hip (minus certain forested areas that will be listed in an appendix not currently available), but I'm curious how many additional sites will needed to be added to the system to achieve this.

JT-112

RFPs will also typically be written to favor some vendors, and to lock others out.

Given what's happened so far with WISCOM, I highly suspect at least one vendor is being locked out on multiple points - and likely deservedly so.

95% portable talkback coverage sounds a bit aggressive if it's truly statewide.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
95% is consistent with national standards.

The National Fire Protection Association has a standard for the Installation, Maintenance and Use of Emergency Servces Communications Systems and a section says (AHJ is the "Authority Having Jurisdiction"):

9.3.1.2.1 Radio communication systems shall be designed to
provide no less than 95 percent coverage of the jurisdictional
area as defined by the AHJ, 95 percent of the time, with a
95 percent confidence factor.

canedane995

Fight For Life Milwaukee.

I have FFL programed into my 2 scanners and I have yet to hear anything. Does FFL use Wiscom or analog system still or another system? Thanks in advance.

8001 1f41 D FFLCOM