WISCOM Thread (all posts regarding WISCOM go here)

whop94

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed here in SC Wisconsin it seems that WSP units are being dispatched by county dispatch centers, I'm not certain if they are simply calling the post or actually dispatching the unit, for example I will hear "Sauk/Dane/Rock to DeForest (insert call here)." I almost wonder if it would make more sense logistically if state units just operated on county dispatch channels, I've lived in states where they do that and it really seems to make the sharing of important information and mutual aid much easier.

ts442k9

Premium Subscriber
They're operating on the WSP channels. I've heard two different stories on why they say "Dane/Sauk" etc.

First, it's where the troopers assigned patrol area is. This is probably the most correct.

Second, it goes back to the old legacy days when they would have to tell the dispatcher what tower they're using. I doubt this is the case.

As far as local counties dispatching them, that is strictly forbidden by WSP. If a county needs their assistance they will call WSP by phone or call for them on the local county channel. WSP monitors the County Scan TG's.

djeplett

I have heard troopers in Waupaca county dispatched both ways. I have heard the state dispatcher call them and direct them to incidents and I have heard the county call them directly on the county's channel and ask them for assistance.

It seems like normally if they initiate the traffic stop they will go through the state dispatcher on WISCOM, but I have heard them call for checks on the county channel, too.

I have heard the troopers giving updates for local events to their dispatchers on WISCOM also.

So I think they are pretty flexible in how they are dispatched and coordinated.

cpd38

Premium Subscriber
My understanding that WSP has moved, or is the process of moving, all of their comm centers out of the regional posts to downtown Milwaukee. I'm not sure what sense that makes to be honest.

A while back they had a posting for "multiple dispatch positions" to fill in their new Milwaukee comm center.

I've heard from a number of people that current WSP employees were told to fill positions in the new center or find another job.

sfd119

My understanding that WSP has moved, or is the process of moving, all of their comm centers out of the regional posts to downtown Milwaukee. I'm not sure what sense that makes to be honest.

A while back they had a posting for "multiple dispatch positions" to fill in their new Milwaukee comm center.

I've heard from a number of people that current WSP employees were told to fill positions in the new center or find another job.

They are not filling any new positions in the current dispatch centers. As people retire or find a new job they will not fill those positions in the posts. Everything else will be in the new Milwaukee center. Overnights the Eau Claire Post handles the Spooner and sometimes Wausau traffic because dispatchers are bailing.

Not sure why they would put all their eggs in one basket...I'd at least keep a northern center to split the traffic and have each other be backups.

zeitgeist999

They are not filling any new positions in the current dispatch centers. As people retire or find a new job they will not fill those positions in the posts. Everything else will be in the new Milwaukee center. Overnights the Eau Claire Post handles the Spooner and sometimes Wausau traffic because dispatchers are bailing.

Not sure why they would put all their eggs in one basket...I'd at least keep a northern center to split the traffic and have each other be backups.

All after the WSP spent millions of dollars upgrading all the dispatch centers in each region just a few short years ago. Your tax dollars at work. The latest warm fuzzy is to dispatch the entire state out of Milwaukee, leaving those recently updated dispatch centers vacant. You will now hear dispatchers with no actual regional knowledge of roads, Troopers, closest tow truck companies, etc., handling radio traffic. Regional dispatchers at least became used to common terminology unique to the region, individual officer patterns, regional services, and the like. It will take someone getting hurt, or a big screw up, and presto, regional dispatch will suddenly reappear. If someone really wants to dig into a story, look into the high turnover of dispatchers in the Milwaukee dispatch center, and why some of the people were terminated. Prime time soap opera stuff.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Let’s keep this forum geared toward WISCOM please, feel free to start a WSP thread if you want to discuss their dispatching methods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monkj2569

Does anyone know if menomonie changed there frequencies or talk groups? I used to be able to hear them with my ws1040 programed to there talkgroups but now I hear nothing and have no signal

Div106

Premium Subscriber
Additional OASIS ISSI link to WISCOM 58901 OALAWCALL and 58902 OACHASE. This allows State Patrol user to communicate with MC AND WC users.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Just curious here, heard that the NWS is now on WISCOM does anyone happen to have there talkgroups?? Thanks

I could be wrong but I don’t think they have a specific NWS talkgroup, however during weather events I have heard them contacting Dispatch Centers on the calling channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat

Premium Subscriber
NWS La Crosse had planned on testing on RCALL11 and RCALL51 prior to the statewide tornado drill. Not sure about the other offices.

sgtmatt

Premium Subscriber
Just picked up a Whistler TRX-2 haven't tried it on wiscom because as of now I get no reception on the system where its sitting, does anyone use the x2 on wiscom at all?

djeplett

Just picked up a Whistler TRX-2 haven't tried it on wiscom because as of now I get no reception on the system where its sitting, does anyone use the x2 on wiscom at all?
I had the TRX-1 and had no problem following WISCOM anywhere I went. Where exactly are you located and what towers have you tried to listen to? If you are only using the back of set antenna indoors then you may be in a fringe coverage area. If the county you're in uses WISCOM for their sheriff and fire coms (Like Taylor County, for instance) then there generally is great coverage. If you're in a county that has it's own radio system then WISCOM generally is set up to just cover what the state patrol and other state agencies need, so coverage can be much less.

immelmen

wondering if someone out there could email/message/share a screenshot of the results of the "Tower File" from the Pro96Com/System*** sub-directory for a WISCOM site in a southeastern Wisconsin county such as Kenosha, Racine or Waukesha?
Thanks in advance,

I

smitty54017

I'm having trouble receiving ANYTHING on WISCOM (primary interest is State Patrol). I've programmed talkgroups for ALL regions (in the event my region uses another TG). I'm getting 3 bars of signal strength in New Richmond, so I should be receiving something. I've copied all talkgroups directly from the database into FREESCAN. I've attached screencaps below. TIA

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG