WISCOM Thread (all posts regarding WISCOM go here)

djeplett

I'm having trouble receiving ANYTHING on WISCOM (primary interest is State Patrol). I've programmed talkgroups for ALL regions (in the event my region uses another TG). I'm getting 3 bars of signal strength in New Richmond, so I should be receiving something. I've copied all talkgroups directly from the database into FREESCAN. I've attached screencaps below. TIA

View attachment 71791

View attachment 71792

View attachment 71793

View attachment 71794
I'm not familiar with Freescan, but under type you have it as "One Frequency Trunk". I'm guessing you may want to change that to another type like P25 Auto or something like that because WISCOM is not a one frequency system.

peewee007

Gary Hanson
Feed Provider
I'm having trouble receiving ANYTHING on WISCOM (primary interest is State Patrol). I've programmed talkgroups for ALL regions (in the event my region uses another TG). I'm getting 3 bars of signal strength in New Richmond, so I should be receiving something. I've copied all talkgroups directly from the database into FREESCAN. I've attached screencaps below. TIA

View attachment 71791

View attachment 71792

View attachment 71793

View attachment 71794

There are 3 towers receivable for us in this area... Try *just* these 3 frequencies..one per site location..Forget about the audio-only frequencies as those just add to confusion and the radio should be directed to those automagically: Polk County in Dresser: 152.2175 Baldwin: 152.0225 and Pierce County: 139.6125 -- They use talkgroup 151. The bandplan spacing for 138.* Mhz should be 12.5khz and 150.* Mhz should be 7.5khz..Hope this helps

smitty54017

There are 3 towers receivable for us in this area... Try *just* these 3 frequencies..one per site location..Forget about the audio-only frequencies as those just add to confusion and the radio should be directed to those automagically: Polk County in Dresser: 152.2175 Baldwin: 152.0225 and Pierce County: 139.6125 -- They use talkgroup 151. The bandplan spacing for 138.* Mhz should be 12.5khz and 150.* Mhz should be 7.5khz..Hope this helps

Tried adding Dresser & Prescott tower sites. The scanner doesn't see either...0 bars signal. I tried programming only 1 freq. No luck. Turned on ID search instead of ID scan to see what that gets me. Still getting 3-4 bars signal strength from Baldwin tower.

smitty54017

What are the other options available under "type" in Freescan?

Mot 800Mhz Type 1
Mot Type II/P25
EDACS Narrow/Wide
EDACS SCAT
LTR
P25 One Freq Trunk (Digital XT)

I did hear a car on the main dispatch channel for Eau Claire, but didn't hear the dispatch side. Is the State Patrol just that quiet nowadays? It used to be pretty steady traffic when they were on the analog system.

djeplett

Try "Mot Type II/P25". Like I said earlier, WISCOM is not a one frequency trunked system. One frequency trunked is typically only one frequency with no control channel with the possibility of multiple talkgroups on that frequency to differentiate agencies/uses. WISCOM is a P25 trunked system with a control channel.

smitty54017

Try "Mot Type II/P25". Like I said earlier, WISCOM is not a one frequency trunked system. One frequency trunked is typically only one frequency with no control channel with the possibility of multiple talkgroups on that frequency to differentiate agencies/uses. WISCOM is a P25 trunked system with a control channel.

Tried "Mot Type II/P25" , now zero signal bars. Now back to P25 Standard. Now I added back all freqs listed in database. 3-4 signal bars on Baldwin & Dresser sites, and no hits, even when in "ID Search".

smitty54017

You didn't state that "P25 Standard" was one of the options available under "type". What model/make of radio are you using?

Sorry. I think my earlier post indicated that I had originally selected P25 Stadard. So, I paid the $15 for premium membership and downloaded the data for this site. It says it's MOT Type II/P25. I'm using a Uniden BCD996XT. We'll see if this works....

djeplett

Yes, band plan is fixed.

Checked error rate, and it is blank. Says ERR: ---
So it's not decoding the control channel. Check all the frequencies listed in the database for your closest site one by one until you find an active control channel and see if it decodes.

smitty54017

So it's not decoding the control channel. Check all the frequencies listed in the database for your closest site one by one until you find an active control channel and see if it decodes.

Locked out all freqs except what the database says is the main control channel. I'm getting error rate of 11 on both sites.

djeplett

Excellent. So it's decoding. I personally hear about 5 or so transmissions per hour on a normal day over here in New London. WSP troopers sometimes are dispatched and communicate directly with the sheriff office of the county they are in. So some days can be quiet between troopers and dispatch. Be patient for a while and listen. If you don't hear anything for several hours you may still have programming issues.

Steve08CVPI

When programming system frequencies, Milwaukee has 2, Milwaukee and Greenfield, do I program them both or pick one closest to me? Then there's Milwaukee 800, Bayside 800, and Greenfield 800, do I need to program them with the other 2?

djeplett

When programming system frequencies, Milwaukee has 2, Milwaukee and Greenfield, do I program them both or pick one closest to me? Then there's Milwaukee 800, Bayside 800, and Greenfield 800, do I need to program them with the other 2?
The more sites you put in the more you can possibly hear, but the slower your scanner will scan as it has to stop on each frequency for a bit to listen.

Experiment. Try lots then pare back if you tend to miss action.

Steve08CVPI

sgtmatt

Premium Subscriber
May be moving to the Stoughton area sometime within the next year or two. Wondering what is the best site for Stoughton and what all can be heard, I know DCSO patches in there channel 1 through WISCOM right. I now have a Whistler TRX-1