WISCOM Thread (all posts regarding WISCOM go here)

whop94

Premium Subscriber
May be moving to the Stoughton area sometime within the next year or two. Wondering what is the best site for Stoughton and what all can be heard, I know DCSO patches in there channel 1 through WISCOM right. I now have a Whistler TRX-1

Best bet would be Deerfield, the Madison sites as well as Milton should be easily within range as well, amongst others. Primarily WSP comms as well as the STAC and RTAC channels occasionally. DCSO dispatch is patched through maybe 50% of the time, I imagine it's active only when a trooper switches to the channel. On the Madison sites you will here some special events (notably UW athletics) DOC, Mendota Mental Health, an occasional Capitol Police patch and several EMS crews as the come two and from the hospitals in the area however radio traffic here is light just like it is in most other parts of the state, most of the action is on DaneCom. The Madison P25 system should also be within reach on which DCSO is patched 100% of the time.

rusty_shackleford1

Premium Subscriber
Seeing a site #130 show up as a neighboring site to Baraboo with a control channel 172.6125 shown. Not seeing this in the database and its too far away for me to listen too. Any info on this one?

evilbrad

My head makes a bad antenna
is there a wiscom site in portage co at dnr facility? Google Maps

I have noticed a microwave link and tons of new verticals on the DNR tower on Maple Dr. in Portage Co

sfd119

I hope there is a new system or upgrade in place that's not five years out. I was very excited to see the RFP last year with 95% portable coverage (among other amazing features) and heart broken it got axed. This does not bode well for a replacement or upgrade.

Tim

Feed Provider
Seeing a site #130 show up as a neighboring site to Baraboo with a control channel 172.6125 shown. Not seeing this in the database and its too far away for me to listen too. Any info on this one?

Greetings...

Obviously somewhat a stretch, but Dane County's DANECOM has a SysID of '130'. Can someone in Dane County listen to 172.6125 just to make sure there wasn't a new frequency added to DANECOM and/or a WISCOM site affiliated with Dane County?

Tim

rusty_shackleford1

Premium Subscriber
Greetings...

Obviously somewhat a stretch, but Dane County's DANECOM has a SysID of '130'. Can someone in Dane County listen to 172.6125 just to make sure there wasn't a new frequency added to DANECOM and/or a WISCOM site affiliated with Dane County?

Tim

I'm in Dane County and already checked, I haven't heard anything on it. Also doesn't show up as a neighboring site to any of the Dane County WISCOM towers. My guess after reading this is that it may be the Plover site coming online : https://dma.wi.gov/DMA/divisions/oec/library/2019/20190529WISCOM_Subcommittee_Meeting_Minutes.pdf

prowisscan

Does anybody know what med flight units are using TG 8045? I've been hearing activity on this TG for the past few month on the Milwaukee VHF site.

DKruse

Site 130 is a new site located in the Necedah area. Don't quote me on it, but I believe they took a tower from the Juneau County Simulcast system and split it to correct some tower communication issues for the (hopeful) go-live for the county, finally.

duanewolter

Premium Subscriber
I posted this directly to peewee, but I figured I could post it here too, to see if I can get any assistance.

Hello! I work at a news station in Eau Claire, and my news director has tasked me with programming a new digital scanner we recently received. I've read through the thread you have regarding the WISCOM data, and still am not having any luck with programming the WI State Patrol channels for this area. I have tried programming for Chippewa Falls, Menomonie, Rock Falls, and Osseo. All of those towers should be close enough to us where we should be picking up something. I have only received signal bars on the Rock Falls tower, and it's not the primary one that they use. I brought up the error code info on the Rock Falls one, and I just see Err --. Also, the bars come and go even on that one. When the bars go away, I just see Finding Control Channel. I saw someone else had this as well, and eventually it looks like they may have gotten it fixed. The scanner we are using is the BCD996P2. I tried using the import radio reference trunked files, but that didn't seem to work for me either. For base frequencies for each site, I used the info that was on the radio reference page:

1. Base Freq 138.0000, spacing 12.5 kHz
2. Base Freq 150.8150, spacing 7.5 kHz
3. Base Freq 154.6500, spacing 7.5 kHz
4. Base Freq 162.0000, spacing 12.5 kHz
7. Base Freq 769.00625, spacing 6.25 KHz
8. Base Freq 851.00625, spacing 6.25 KHz

I also tried locking out any secondary channels and only using the primary one, but that didn't seem to work either. Is there any way you can walk me through how to program this so that we can receive State Patrol frequencies? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

peewee007

Gary Hanson
Feed Provider
I posted this directly to peewee, but I figured I could post it here too, to see if I can get any assistance.

Hello! I work at a news station in Eau Claire, and my news director has tasked me with programming a new digital scanner we recently received. I've read through the thread you have regarding the WISCOM data, and still am not having any luck with programming the WI State Patrol channels for this area. I have tried programming for Chippewa Falls, Menomonie, Rock Falls, and Osseo. All of those towers should be close enough to us where we should be picking up something. I have only received signal bars on the Rock Falls tower, and it's not the primary one that they use. I brought up the error code info on the Rock Falls one, and I just see Err --. Also, the bars come and go even on that one. When the bars go away, I just see Finding Control Channel. I saw someone else had this as well, and eventually it looks like they may have gotten it fixed. The scanner we are using is the BCD996P2. I tried using the import radio reference trunked files, but that didn't seem to work for me either. For base frequencies for each site, I used the info that was on the radio reference page:

1. Base Freq 138.0000, spacing 12.5 kHz
2. Base Freq 150.8150, spacing 7.5 kHz
3. Base Freq 154.6500, spacing 7.5 kHz
4. Base Freq 162.0000, spacing 12.5 kHz
7. Base Freq 769.00625, spacing 6.25 KHz
8. Base Freq 851.00625, spacing 6.25 KHz

I also tried locking out any secondary channels and only using the primary one, but that didn't seem to work either. Is there any way you can walk me through how to program this so that we can receive State Patrol frequencies? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What frequencies are ya usin for each tower location site ? Just need the control channel for each one..the bandplan stuff usually fills itself-in in the radio on its own so I wouldn't worry about that..just the frequencies for each control channel tower is what's important -- For Chippewa, I have 139.8625 and 139.0125 in my radio..One for Holcombe and one for Chippewa Falls. For Menominee, I have 151.3175 in my radio. For Rock Falls, I have 155.4600. For Osseo, I have 152.6225. Try just those for each site..Don't add the voice frequencies..just these control channels...try these n see what happens

duanewolter

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the response! Chippewa Falls is giving me occasional bars with just static, and the Err line is still --. Nothing from Menomonie or Osseo. I'm also using P25 Standard (Digital XT) for the type. I've tried a few different types and it's all pretty much the same result. Also, I've been using each frequency listed off of this site. Wisconsin Interoperable System for Communications (WISCOM) Trunking System, Statewide, Wisconsin - Scanner Frequencies I pretty much have added all of them to see what I can get.

duanewolter

Premium Subscriber
This may be as simple as a signal strength issue. I moved my scanner and started getting some bars off of the Osseo frequency, but I haven't heard anything on that one yet. Rock Falls is giving me some traffic now, which is a good sign for sure! It's my plan to take it mobile for a bit to see if it is in fact just a signal strength issue. I'm just using the standard antenna for the moment, but when installed it will be hooked to a larger and much more elevated antenna. As long as I know I am getting something from those frequencies, that should be good enough for me.

sfd119

Osseo or Chip Falls are your close towers. Nothing covering Eau Claire fairly well. You'll need an external antenna as it won't get out in your building.