WISCOM Thread (all posts regarding WISCOM go here)

duanewolter

Premium Subscriber
Osseo or Chip Falls are your close towers. Nothing covering Eau Claire fairly well. You'll need an external antenna as it won't get out in your building.
Thanks man! I moved it by a window and am starting to pick up some of the other ones a little better. This will eventually be attached to an external antenna which will be mounted to a tower. I also took it in a vehicle with me and was picking up some of the other ones. I just needed to make sure I programmed everything correctly, and it appears that things are working fine. Thanks again for all the input!

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Talkgroup 3271 received on Milwaukee 800Mhz WISCOM site.

Appears to be Department of Corrections related, perhaps Milwaukee Secure Detention Facility (MSDF) ? Comms relating to dining hall operations, laundry operations, etc.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Do you have any radio IDs associated with the talkgroup? They will point to the facility owner. The 800 Sites in Milwaukee serve a few facilities.

JT-112

WISCOM in action... or perhaps more accurately, inaction.

Note all the bonks. Listen for the low tone. Some are really short, way less than a second.

Those of you familiar with the area will know that it's maybe 2 miles from the Delafield tower.

Yes, he's getting bonks when no one is talking. To get bonks like this is horrible. Trooper knows it too, you can hear the exasperation after a few of the bonks. You'll note he doesn't go in foot pursuit, can't blame him without rock-solid portable coverage. He can't even talk with his mobile a couple of miles from the tower, you want to throw in another layer with those bluetooth mics? No way.

Console audio from WSP has also always been poor, you can hear it. Compare it to the traffic from the motor enforcement officer, which is much clearer.

sfd119

The console audio from Eau Claire and Spooner posts sound pretty good, nothing like that.

He is getting bonks, but I also hear him changing channels too. He could be changing channels and while its affiliating to the new TG he's trying to talk right away? Doesn't explain all the bonks...

At the end of the day, some sites are overloaded. I'm hoping WISCOM 2.0 brings decent portable coverage and more channels per site. It's time to make it like ARMER where everyone is on it because it works.

WISCOM in action... or perhaps more accurately, inaction.

Congratulations, internet expert, for posting your thorough technical explanation based on a crummy YouTube video.

The bonks are two things: 1.) channel changes the officer is making and then trying to TX before the radio has re-affiliated and 2.) an excessive amount of chatter on the channel from the dispatcher and others that prevent the officer in the video from TX'ing. I would also postulate that there was also excessive dead-keying from console occurring, which is the dispatcher's fault.

Neither of these items are the system's fault or any indication of "inaction" or lack of performance on the system's part.

But please, continue to post all your anti-WISCOM drivel on RadioReference if it makes you feel better.

Tim

Feed Provider
Talkgroup 3271 received on Milwaukee 800Mhz WISCOM site.

Appears to be Department of Corrections related, perhaps Milwaukee Secure Detention Facility (MSDF) ? Comms relating to dining hall operations, laundry operations, etc.

I heard the tail end of a conversation on here tonight. One radio ID I was able to write down was 8787045 if that helps.

Tim

Mercator

I am located literally at the geographical center of Vilas and Oneida Co. Vilas and Oneida countywide FD\EMS are conventional and I have them programmed in a 20 yr old Radio Shack 2053 with an equally old center loaded stock antennae replacement. Some of the more remote volunteer FD have weak but very readable signals. If an incident requires a switch to Mutual Aid, Fire Ground, IFERN, MABAS frequencies the resulting transmissions will be lost on my equipment. Private Medevac, like Spirit\Ascension (one rotary wing, one fixed wing and a dozen ambulance) in Minocqua are conventional and use Med Frequencies plus the required EMS WI frequencies. These are programmed in a Pro60 with center loaded antennae. Reception is good but usually missing transmissions from Ambo to Hosp. Often times reference is made to telephone rather than radio transmissions. Vilas and Oneida conventional and digital PD\LAW are programmed in a SDS200. Vilas Co. is encrypted. Disp will call, squad will answer then encryption. Oneida is plain language. I have often times scanned conventional Vilas and Oneida and WISCOM at the same time. I have never heard any Vilas Co. or Oneida Co. FD, LAW or EMS on WISCOM. The only transmissions on WISCOM that I have picked up are WSP. I live between Squirrel Hill, Clear Lake and Boulder Jct. towers and receive 5 bar signals from SH and CL but nothing from BJ. WSP transmissions are almost limited to squad 10-41 - 42 and traffic stop request 27 - 28 -29 followed by DATA or LINK . Occasionally when their is an incident they may go plane language for a short time. My scanner will often times hold on the control channel when on WSP DATA therefore missing a lot of scanning time. As you can see I use both old and new equipment with indoor antennas and as you probably know this is a heavily wooded area. YMMV

rusty_shackleford1

Premium Subscriber
Several Madison event talk groups have been patched into WISCOM this week for the protests in Madison. MPD Event 7 is patched to RTAC14SW and MPD Event 8 is patched into RTAC13SW.

eg1451

Feed Provider
On TG 8111 on Greenfield VHF I heard radio IDs 8018111 and 8018110 talk to each other for a bit. Hard to tell who they are. One just asked the other if he was scanning this channel and the other one said "of course, why do you think I keep 3 radios on me?" The units they used were "November lima 2" and "November whiskey 3"

Also heard "Army 206" on TG 8498 radio ID 8409128. They were talking to "ops" radio ID 8409129.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am currently monitoring WISCOM Site 57 (Pierce County, Prescott). What Talkgroups am I likely to hear there? I want to program 64 aliases and knowing which Talkgroups are likely to be active should help me.

Spankymedic7

What system information? There isn't a system to put information up about. WISCOM exists on paper only at this point, which there are several links to in this forum.
I don't understand, there is absolutely a WISCOM system, along with users...state patrol to be one of them, as well as an EMS service (my employer).

I'm confused...

sfd119

I don't understand, there is absolutely a WISCOM system, along with users...state patrol to be one of them, as well as an EMS service (my employer).

I'm confused...

Uhhhhh that was posted in 2009 when WISCOM was just being developed.

I am currently monitoring WISCOM Site 57 (Pierce County, Prescott). What Talkgroups am I likely to hear there? I want to program 64 aliases and knowing which Talkgroups are likely to be active should help me.

If it were me....

Interops:
SCALL 1, STAC 2-8. RCALL51WC, RCALL61NW, RTACS 52-54, RTACS 62-64.

Law:
State Patrol NW Region Eau Claire Post and Spooner Posts.
Dunn County
DCI Eau Claire (not much use)

EMS:
LifeLink III Statewide, Rice Lake, Marshfield
North Memorial Flight Siren "WISFLIGHT"
Mayo Clinic 1 (Helicopters)
Mayo Clinic 2 (Eau Claire region EMS)

Scan TGs:
If a radio is affliated with a scan TG, you'll hear the conventional patch on the associated TG.

That'll give you a good start.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Programming Unication Full Spectrum Scan for WISCOM (VHF portion).

I want to be able to use the Full Spectrum feature on WISCOM. So far, I have it configured like this:

Scan Range 1: 138.0000-141.0125 12.5 Hz Step Size

Scan Range 2: 150.8150-154.4450 7.5 Hz Step Size

Scan Range 3: 154.6500-156.2100 7.5 Hz Step Size

Unfortunately, that means I miss the control channels and alternates using: 169.6750 169.8125a 172.6125c 172.775a, since there is no means to add a Scan Range 4. How did people here deal with that issue? Did you simply program in the sites that specifically use 169.6750, 169.8125, 172.6125 and 172.775? (I haven't counted them up, but there might not actually be that many sites that use those frequencies.)

sfd119

Just import the entire system in to the programming software via RadioReference. It's not a huge system in terms of control channels. Then you won't need to enable the full spectrum scan. You turn it on and it'll find the closest tower and go.

WISCOM is not like ARMER with multiple towers and some overlaying others. WISCOM, on average, has one tower per county (yes, there are some counties with more or less).