WISCOM Thread (all posts regarding WISCOM go here)

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
I don't understand, there is absolutely a WISCOM system, along with users...state patrol to be one of them, as well as an EMS service (my employer).

I'm confused...

Holy digging up bones, Batman...that post is 11 years old. Did you start at the beginning of the thread? :)

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Just import the entire system in to the programming software via RadioReference. It's not a huge system in terms of control channels. Then you won't need to enable the full spectrum scan. You turn it on and it'll find the closest tower and go.

WISCOM is not like ARMER with multiple towers and some overlaying others. WISCOM, on average, has one tower per county (yes, there are some counties with more or less).

Scanning the system with a scanner/G5 is a bit different than actual subscriber radios, some of which are *very* dependent on a correct and thorough CC list, which is well over 100 individual CCs on VHF alone...so, yes the system is huge in terms of CCs. However, if you enabled full spectrum scan on a scanning device, you don't need to populate the CC list at all assuming you have the band plan right so the radio can do the correct math.

JASII

Memory Capacity
...If it were me....

Interops:
SCALL 1, STAC 2-8. RCALL51WC, RCALL61NW, RTACS 52-54, RTACS 62-64.

Law:
State Patrol NW Region Eau Claire Post and Spooner Posts.
Dunn County
DCI Eau Claire (not much use)

EMS:
LifeLink III Statewide, Rice Lake, Marshfield
North Memorial Flight Siren "WISFLIGHT"
Mayo Clinic 1 (Helicopters)
Mayo Clinic 2 (Eau Claire region EMS)

Scan TGs:
If a radio is affliated with a scan TG, you'll hear the conventional patch on the associated TG.

That'll give you a good start.

Wow, WISCOM sure doesn't have much traffic on Site 57 (Pierce County, Prescott).

I parked on it last night about 2300 local time and these are the only talkgroups I have heard activity on, so far.

Also, the Control Channel I am connected to is 139.6125 Mhz. The database list it as an Alternate Control Channel. Does WISCOM rotate control channels frequently, is the database incorrect or it there a reason it is on an Alternate Control Channel right now?

djeplett

Activity varies greatly around the state. Near me you hear WSP and Menomonee Public Transit a bunch. With the occasional county scan talkgroup here and there. Keep listening though; surveillance talkgroups will suddenly be very active out of nowhere.

I think the database was filled with info that was gleaned from monitoring the control channels for what they have reported. Just because a channel is marked as primary doesn't mean the system won't switch to an alternate frequently. Happens over here quite often. Since there's not that many frequencies listed for the couple sites I monitor I put all of them in just in case.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Does anybody here scan the WISCOM frequencies conventionally? The reason I ask is because I would like to use my Unication G5 to monitor county conventional frequencies, both analog an APCO P25, AND WISCOM frequencies in the same scan list. I am anticipating that if I simply lock out whichever frequency is being used as the Control Channel and scan the rest, it should work fine. I have been focused on the Prescott site and the traffic levels seem like this might work fine.

InspireWaukesha87

Premium Subscriber
Another 700mhz site has come online, Department of Corrections Racine Correctional Institution located in Sturtevant, WI is now on WISCOM and are off the analog Motorola Type 2 system which has been shut down

Div106

Premium Subscriber
Happened to catch a few days ago off the Squirrel Hill Site TG 7411, which appears to be used by Northwoods Transit connections. I did see one of there buses labeled "Public Transit" stopped at a local Kwik Trip.

Mercator

djeplett

Can anybody confirm that radio IDs in the 815XX range are Milwaukee dispatchers? What I have currently:
811XX DeForest dispatchers
812XX Waukesha dispatchers
813XX Fond Du Lac dispatchers
814XX Wausau dispatchers
816XX Eau Claire dispatchers
817XX Spooner dispatchers
818XX Radio techs
819XX Patches

Tim

Feed Provider
Can anybody confirm that radio IDs in the 815XX range are Milwaukee dispatchers? What I have currently:
811XX DeForest dispatchers
812XX Waukesha dispatchers
813XX Fond Du Lac dispatchers
814XX Wausau dispatchers
816XX Eau Claire dispatchers
817XX Spooner dispatchers
818XX Radio techs
819XX Patches

Greetings,

I'm assuming you are talking about WI State Patrol dispatchers, I don't think there is technically "Milwaukee" dispatchers for WSP as there is no
'Milwaukee Post'. With that being said, (At least) the Waukesha post dispatchers are actually housed in State Traffic Operations Center in downtown Milwaukee. The radio ID's 815xx's I believe are 'Tomah Post' dispatchers.

Tim

djeplett

If that's the case, I've been hearing a Tomah dispatcher on Wausau Post's channel dispatching Wausau troopers. I guessed it was a dispatcher from Milwaukee due to the talk a while back of WSP consolidating dispatching in Milwaukee. I suppose the radio IDs can be used anywhere, of course.

Tim

Feed Provider
I know the Waukesha Post dispatchers located the STOC in Milwaukee use the 812xx's IDs that you mentioned above. I usually monitor a number of sites in SEWI from home and have not seen any 815xx's IDs.

For a while, Tomah Post was using the SW Region's talk-groups (I wanna say they were using TG 115).

Tim

Pat

Premium Subscriber
I know the Waukesha Post dispatchers located the STOC in Milwaukee use the 812xx's IDs that you mentioned above. I usually monitor a number of sites in SEWI from home and have not seen any 815xx's IDs.

For a while, Tomah Post was using the SW Region's talk-groups (I wanna say they were using TG 115).

Tim

Correct, they were using TG 115, and it was great when it was set up that way. Their current setup is a pain for those of us that don't want to monitor DeForest Post traffic, and the Tomah Post troopers have issues themselves when there's an incident occurring down south. They currently use TG 111 for all traffic, TG 112 for on duty/off duty traffic, and then TG 113 and so on for routine traffic if they have TG 111 closed due to an incident. It's a good plan in theory, but on some shifts there are only a couple of dispatchers (and sometimes at night there is only a single dispatcher), so they aren't able to answer all of the active channels.

djeplett

On another note... Has anyone ever been able to get a PRO-106, PSR-500, WS1040... etcetera... to be able to display radio IDs on WISCOM? Whenever I turn on radio ID display it always only shows "0" no matter what site I monitor throughout the state. Those GRE lineage radios follow WISCOM great but I can never get the radio IDs to show.

west-pac

Another 700mhz site has come online, Department of Corrections Racine Correctional Institution located in Sturtevant, WI is now on WISCOM and are off the analog Motorola Type 2 system which has been shut down

I was able to receive site 1.215, labeled as Racine DOC, on 850Mhz last night, in central Indiana; not on 700Mhz.

djeplett

Caught "Fond Du Lac 1109" on TG131 today, User ID#8101109. Is this a DOT car? Or is it some other WSP unit? He called in a semi trailer plate and a VIN...

Tim

Feed Provider
Caught "Fond Du Lac 1109" on TG131 today, User ID#8101109. Is this a DOT car? Or is it some other WSP unit? He called in a semi trailer plate and a VIN...

I believe that would be a DeForest Post (SW Region) Motor Carrier Enforcement car. Although, I am not a WSP expert by any means so if someone might better info.

Tim