WISCOM Thread (all posts regarding WISCOM go here)

JASII

Memory Capacity
On my G5, FSS takes a while....like minutes. Of course, it depends on where you are and which CC it sees first, but it's doing a band scan starting at the bottom of VHF and then up though 7/800 MHz so it has to chew through a lot of spectrum.

I just did it for ARMER here in Minnesota. It didn't take too long.

But, then, I am only going through 10 mHz.

I think for WISCOM, the next time I do programming, I might have one knob position for VHF only, since much of the state is VHF only.

Then, I would have another one for 800 mHz when I am in those areas that have it.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Since mine is starting at 136 MHz and looking at every 12.5 kHz up through 174 MHz, it's got a looooong way to go. It took about 4 minutes for it find a CC just now when I fired it up on the FSS position.

Last edited:

dmchalmers

Sure seems odd? It was in the DB but now its NOT so who in the GREAT Administration jumped the Gun an now its taken down?????

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
Noticed the dreaded "E" appearing on some WSP talk groups......hopefully this doesn't spread to the primary talk groups for WSP!

mikeymac3

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know which WSP dispatch center(s) are used for Vials, Oneida, Forest, etc counties up North? Also, it should not matter which dispatch center those troopers are talking to it would still hit the local towers in those counties correct?

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Mikeymac3,
They should be dispatched from the Wausau Post. See this link for the regions:

If the trooper is communicating with their dispatch center and they’re close to your local tower, then you should hear the traffic, assuming they’re not encrypted. I’m not entirely sure how the dispatch center works anymore, I thought there was some talk about consolidating all of the post dispatchers to one central dispatch location at one time, but I’m not sure if that ever happened.

mikeymac3

Premium Subscriber
Mikeymac3,
They should be dispatched from the Wausau Post. See this link for the regions:

If the trooper is communicating with their dispatch center and they’re close to your local tower, then you should hear the traffic, assuming they’re not encrypted. I’m not entirely sure how the dispatch center works anymore, I thought there was some talk about consolidating all of the post dispatchers to one central dispatch location at one time, but I’m not sure if that ever happened.

Thanks for the info, the reason why I am wondering is it looks like they consolidated to 4 dispatch centers at some point (Wisconsin State Patrol Communications Unit) and north-central (Wausau) is not included. These counties I mentioned are also not listed as being covered by those four dispatch centers. Obviously, they are dispatched from somewhere but I am trying to monitor on a Uniden BCD436HP and it isn't clear to me what TG they will be on if they are dispatched from centers in southern WI. For example, would they be on the Fon du lac TG if they were dispatching or the DeForest TG if Deforest was dispatching, a state-wide TG?

I am currently running discovery on the scanner for my local tower and haven't gotten any hits as of yet. I do occasionally hear troopers on the county law frequency but I have to imagine they are also in communication with WSP dispatch via WISCOM as well. Any insight would be great!

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Ahh, interesting! I do often hear units calling “Wausau Post” on TG 141, but I’m not sure where they are or what counties they’re in. As for dispatching for say, Columbia, Sauk, Dane counties, it does go through Deforest post, or TG 111.

I also don’t see certain counties neighboring me, such as Marquette, Waushara, Adams, etc. If I recall correctly, I often hear troopers utilizing the county dispatch here as their primary dispatch, even when beginning and ending their tour of duty. That could be the case up by you as well, I’m not sure.

mikeymac3

Premium Subscriber
Ahh, interesting! I do often hear units calling “Wausau Post” on TG 141, but I’m not sure where they are or what counties they’re in. As for dispatching for say, Columbia, Sauk, Dane counties, it does go through Deforest post, or TG 111.

I also don’t see certain counties neighboring me, such as Marquette, Waushara, Adams, etc. If I recall correctly, I often hear troopers utilizing the county dispatch here as their primary dispatch, even when beginning and ending their tour of duty. That could be the case up by you as well, I’m not sure.

I think you may be right on the fact that the troopers up here are utilizing county dispatch as I do hear them 10-41 and 10-42 often on the local frequencies but I also heard my local dispatch tell our local county deputies that WSP lost contact with a trooper on a traffic stop in our county and needed backup a few days ago.

Anyway, I will try to monitor TG 141 for a while and see if I get anything. Thanks again for the info.

Last edited:

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
I think you may be right on the fact that the troopers up here are utilizing county dispatch

WSP is not dispatched by local agencies anywhere in the state. Some state's do that, but WI is not one of them. Do they use the local channels as needed? Absolutely...it's called interoperability.

The database shows the respective dispatch TG's around the state.

box23

Picked up Talkgroup 56515 on the Lampson Site... Sounded affiliated with Washburn County but not sure of what agency.

Do you have any details of what was heard?

Looking through the database there are two other counties with an xxx15 talkgroup listed, one as forestry and the other as jail. Could it be related to one of those?

hightime

Thanks for the info, the reason why I am wondering is it looks like they consolidated to 4 dispatch centers at some point (Wisconsin State Patrol Communications Unit) and north-central (Wausau) is not included. These counties I mentioned are also not listed as being covered by those four dispatch centers. Obviously, they are dispatched from somewhere but I am trying to monitor on a Uniden BCD436HP and it isn't clear to me what TG they will be on if they are dispatched from centers in southern WI. For example, would they be on the Fon du lac TG if they were dispatching or the DeForest TG if Deforest was dispatching, a state-wide TG?

I am currently running discovery on the scanner for my local tower and haven't gotten any hits as of yet. I do occasionally hear troopers on the county law frequency but I have to imagine they are also in communication with WSP dispatch via WISCOM as well. Any insight would be great!
I am finding that the Wausau troopers are being dispatched by Waukesha Dispatch. This morning Dispatcher RID 81219 is dispatching 8100419 and 8100434.

stormy182

Premium Subscriber
Do you have any details of what was heard?

Looking through the database there are two other counties with an xxx15 talkgroup listed, one as forestry and the other as jail. Could it be related to one of those?
Sounds like there was an incident in another county that needed help from Washburn County but not sure what the agency was.

CrabbyMilton

I see that TG 41399 is listed as MPD. Is this a part time or full time patch or for interoperability purposes?

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
I see that TG 41399 is listed as MPD. Is this a part time or full time patch or for interoperability purposes?
I was wondering the same. I monitored that TG for a few hours yesterday and didn't hear anything. I know that MPD was against full-time patching on OASIS unless the talkgroups were encrypted on OASIS, so I'd be surprised if they are planning anything similar on WISCOM. If we ever see 7 enc talkgroups light up, we know who it is.