Wisconsin center convention center

CrabbyMilton

I seem to be having some trouble programming their new NXDN system on my 436HP. I programmed it before and something came thru but it was getting hung up on one of the control channels therefore it would stop scanning. I tried programming each frequency as conventional digital and same thing happened. Is there a logical order when programming such a system? I know NXDN's can be fussy but I have had mostly good results in the past. I used to be able to pick up the old analog system being that I live about7 miles to the west from the center.

CrabbyMilton

I never use that so I program everything by hand. I programmed it in that same order as listed. I think I may be too far away. I did see a RAN number pop up at one point.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Try programming via Sentinel. It shouldn't get "hung up" on a control channel if programmed as a trunked system. You may be missing something. Although yes, 7 miles out may be a stretch for 20 Watts output with or without an external antenna

CrabbyMilton

Well my very old PC at home is all but useless so by hand is my only option. Not sure if I have that special cable for that anyway. I'll keep playing with it to see what comes up.
I appreciate your perspective.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Depending on what you mean by, Hung up on a Control Channel, it should do that to a point. The scanner should find the control channel and sit on it just like a P25 control channel, then switch to a voice channel when there is traffic. It may be that with the new system they changed how the antennas are placed to push more coverage inside than out. I have seen that with a few systems like this, they move to a distributed antenna system or indoor antennas.

CrabbyMilton

Well I did program each frequency as conventional digital rather than a NXDN. I tried programming it as a NXDN but wasn't sure if I put the frequencies in the correct order given that list is the correct order. I think I'll just try it both ways and see what happens when I get home.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
If you want to program it as a conventional just lock out the control channel. If you program it as a NXDN system you just have to make sure the Channel IDs are entered.

WI-Center.JPG

CrabbyMilton

Well when I program it as a NXDN, it asks me to enter an order number 1, 2, 3 etc. But you said that may be academic. Now I'm curious and can't wait to get home now. :)

Tim

Feed Provider
Greetings...

The system is kinda weird in that sometimes I can't receive the Control Channel less than 6 blocks away, but yet sometimes (Not too often) I can i pick it up from home near WI State Fair Park. Occasionally I do hear some sort of tone or something on 856.0125 in addition to the control channel. Not sure if that is actually originating from WCD or another entity.

Tim