Wisconsin St Patrol #7 Disp question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NS9710

In the Wisconsin State Patrol #7 Dispatcher channel 154.90500 MHz, I hear a clicking sound that scratches out the communications with a full signal I am sure to say that this is not weak signal distortion. Is this a form of scrambling, or what is going on here exactly? Thanks.

Information:
Counties: Washburn/Barron
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-106.
Antenna: Stock.

If any other information is needed please ask.

djeplett

Possibly receiving more than one tower at once and getting a weird heterodyne? When I listen in down here in Waupaca county I get that all the time as I can hear more than one tower. It's never as bad when I'm mobile which makes sense because the WSP system is set up for the mobiles to hear not bases.

Come to think of it I never tried using the attenuator to see if I could mitigate that somewhat. It's so bad sometimes you can't understand the transmissions at all.

sfd119

What the State Patrol uses is a trunk system off of microwave towers. You may be getting full reception from the dispatch, but the squads use the microwave towers. It has always been this way, it's nothing you are doing wrong and isn't a hardware issue.

sfd119

This is also why you hear them say 724 - Arlen or 704 - Hayward. They are basically telling dispatch what tower they are bouncing off of.

What the State Patrol uses is a trunk system off of microwave towers. You may be getting full reception from the dispatch, but the squads use the microwave towers. It has always been this way, it's nothing you are doing wrong and isn't a hardware issue.

The State Patrol is not using a trunked radio system. The entire network of base stations/repeaters are connected using a microwave network.

Wisconsin State Patrol (WI) - The RadioReference Wiki

SCPD

QRT
Its not trunked. Its a voter system. Completely different.
The saying of the tower is tradition nothing more. The trooper has no clue what tower they are using.

sfd119

I apologize, I didn't mean to say trunked there. I meant to say it's sort of like a trunked system, not a standard repeater deal.

box23

Possibly receiving more than one tower at once and getting a weird heterodyne? When I listen in down here in Waupaca county I get that all the time as I can hear more than one tower. It's never as bad when I'm mobile which makes sense because the WSP system is set up for the mobiles to hear not bases.

I hear it on a portable a lot of the time. And that is having a strong signal from only one tower. I don't think it's because of receiving multiple towers because most of the time for me it is the same on a portable, a base scanner using a roof top antenna, and a 2 meter radio with a 65 ft antenna. Seems like it's getting propagated through the network from somewhere else. The voters clashing, maybe?

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
I apologize, I didn't mean to say trunked there. I meant to say it's sort of like a trunked system, not a standard repeater deal.

Not even close. The system is nothing remotely close to a trunked system of any kind, and to say so is totally incorrect. It is a conventional, analog VHF radio system that is repeated and uses voted receive.

Please search this forum and you will find all the correct information on the system from myself and some others.

Status
Not open for further replies.