Wisconsin State Fair

Tim

Feed Provider
For whatever reason, site #1 comes in much better than site #2. I verified the LCN of system 2 just to make sure. I know that there was interference at times on 453.1625 & 453.2875 with the LTR system. but it doesn't seem to be affecting the users. I spent a good amount of time listening to the system yesterday and posted my findings on my WSHP website (Shameless plug).

While monitoring site #1 on SDS100 and using DSDPlus on site 2, it seems like only a few talkgroups are not operating on both systems.

Tim

CrabbyMilton

That's interesting info. I thought that site was long gone. It sounds like there are 2 parallel systems for backup purposes of all TG's work on both. Yes, that old LTR served well for many years but it didn't always come in very clear at times.

CrabbyMilton

Good Morning. It now appears that both systems are now duplicating each other. Coming loud and clear.

CrabbyMilton

As of yesterday, it seems that only the "grand stand" system is in use for everything. Not a peep on the "youth center" system. Must be some unexpected bugs that came up but I guess just keep checking.

joehoose2700

Any guesses on why they'd have two basically identical systems so close to each other? The signal is more than strong enough to reach across most of the city (can hear it near Nathan Hale HS) so I don't see the need for two on scene. Unless one is set up completely as a backup so the second can simply be switched on if necessary?

CrabbyMilton

I too am thinking along the lines of redundancy as well so your argument seems very accurate. You would have thought that they would have just combined all of the frequencies into one site. Sometimes they are both on with all of the same TG's.

CrabbyMilton

Without giving too much away, I was told by someone who has worked at the fair for several years that the new system has many problems. The call can take about 5 seconds to reach the recipient. This person also said that many of his colleagues wonder as well why they just didn't join WISCOM. They had plenty of time to make sure it would work then when it's fair time, it goes buggy.