Wisconsin State Patrol Rolls Out Wireless Microphones (7/21/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
MissionCritical Communications, Radio Resource International, and Public Safety Report - wireless voice and data communications for mobile, remote and public safety operations

Wisconsin State Patrol Rolls Out Wireless Microphones (7/21/14)
Following an evaluation and trials, the Wisconsin State Patrol began a rollout of secure wireless microphones from Wireless Pacific. The devices will allow officers to continue to communicate seamlessly over Wisconsin’s Project 25 (P25) trunked statewide network for up to 328 yards from a patrol vehicle’s mobile radio.

The X10DR microphone is in operation or undergoing trials with thousands of users globally. The department used a proof-of-concept approach to first clearly articulate the actual performance benefits, before the decision to proceed.

“We can all get excited about technology for technology’s sake, but the only true value is a product’s intrinsic usefulness as a tool in helping to create a safer work environment and to allow personnel to better accomplish their duties,” said Martin Cahill, Wireless Pacific’s vice president. “We designed X10DR specifically to meet law enforcement’s stringent performance requirements, knowing if we met those demanding levels then we could meet the most fastidious requirements of every other mission or business critical radio user.”

sfd119

So as long as I am ~300 yards from my squad I can rx and tx just fine? What about channel steering?

a1emt

Premium Subscriber
So as long as I am ~300 yards from my squad I can rx and tx just fine? What about channel steering?

I was thinking the same thing :cool:...wonder if they will have one collar mic on each side of their body, one for their mobile radio and one for their portable. Interesting concept. Looks like the manufacturer is out of Australia.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Channel steering hasn't been done for the last two generations of mobiles, and probably not before that either, when the mobile only needed to stay on the district repeater channel 98.5% (non-scientific observation) of the time.

You would think that on the trunked system, they would want channel steering but I don't know if this system supports that or not. My guess is no.

Status
Not open for further replies.