• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Wish counterfeit Baofeng HT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
Saw a Baofeng UV-S9 Plus on Wish for $33.00 plus $12.00 shipping. Interested enough to bite. Was sent a Baofeng BF-S9 Plus, which neither Baofeng nor Btech make. Griped to Wish about not getting what I ordered, so they refunded my purchase price and shipping.
Now I have this knockoff and of course Chirp doesn’t support it. Some info says it is a Radiooddity. Programmed about 20 frequencies manually and it seems just as good of my BF-F8 Plus. Any idea what I should tell Chirp what it is?

Attachments

• 519D1E4D-0223-4C11-AF60-3A3650C91547.jpeg
    519D1E4D-0223-4C11-AF60-3A3650C91547.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 94

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@Fixitt you should ask for this to be moved to the Budget and Entry Level Thread, since that is not a scanner, and your question isn't about scanning, you will probably get better answers there. Just click on REPORT in the bottom left corner of your post and ask them to move it. Please don't post a new message as double posting is discouraged.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I had a similar situation a few years ago with an Icom 2 meter HT. I was able to get a refund through PayPal, but the radio was so bad I never attempted to use it

MStep

I see the Baofeng UV-5R floating around for 25 or 30 bucks. I gave a few of them to my fire buff friends for Xmas and everybody was VERY happy.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It was bound to happen. Quality notwithstanding, they're selling like counterfeit KISS t-shirts at a monster truck rally. Now, someone else is trying to cash in.

12dbsinad

I would just use it as a little flashlight next to my nightstand since the price was right

dwhit29689

Pal of mine purchased a five pak of UV5R's and distributed them to friends. Four of us are now licensed and have graduated to mainstream manufacturers. It's a good "starter" radio to test for interest. I've Yaesu's, an Alinco and an Anytone. I'm waiting for a likely candidate to gift the UV5R to. Seems the $25 Baofeng is worth many hundreds to the mainstream manufacturers.

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
How bad can a counterfeit baofeng be? How does one tell the difference, you probably can't!!!!:ROFLMAO:

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
Premium Subscriber
I started with Baofeng also. I still have a pile of them but have purchased some AnyTone and MotoTRBO stuff as well as a couple high end handheld scanners.
Ya gotta start somewhere. $35 for a UV-5R or $450 for an XPR3500e. If you're not sure you wanna pursue the hobby, which one makes more sense?

dwhit29689

I think BIG RADIO should set-up a fund to compensate Baofeng for increasing BIG RADIO sales to new operators. The $25 UV5R gifted me in 2000 prodded me to get a license and purchase four Yaesu's, an Alinco and two Connect Systems radios for around $2800, four Comet antennas, a RigExpert, Daiwa meter, ZUMspot, ABR LMR400 FLEX, HF vertical sticks and a handful of connectors at $2000 all spent in two years.. Purely from a bidness standpoint BIG RADIO owes Baofeng 10 percent of approx. $5000...from a $25 investment. The expenses continue. A new friend of mine here I prodded to graduate from the UV5R to a D878, Raspberry Pi setup and an Icom 7300 with three antennas. His expenses continue. So. how 'bout it? All this new equipment began from a spurious freq spewing $25 hunk of junk to thousands of dollars in new investments in quality equipment. Baofeng should sue.

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
increasing BIG RADIO sales to new operators

I agree. Was bit by the scanning bug back in high school in the 70s and listened with a Bearcat 800XLT. Got married, now retired and got bit again.

A Baofeng BF-F8HP allowed me to get my toes wet and check out what has changed in 40 years.
Then came a used Radio Shack Pro2096, and yesterday I received my Home Patrol Ii.

So Baofeng allowed me to check out scanning for $25 to get my toes wet, which led to a sale for Uniden.

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
Nothing wrong with a Baofeng. A $25 rechargeable radio that picks up FM, 2m, 70cm, WX, Fire/EMS/Police VHF isnt a bad radio at all. I would say it is a bargain. And yes it scans, scans very well.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
To say I'm not a fan of Beofeng would be an understatement but you know what? It might be an ideal scanner for some of those small, usually rural, areas where the sheriff's office has only 4 or 5 deputies and is still using Motrac radios on VHF. The volunteer fire department might even have the same kind of setup. It wouldn't have to scan fast because their wouldn't be much to listen to..

techman210

If Motrac radios are still being used, they are far beyond the narrowband mandate date, I would think there are no radio shops or shop technicians that have the capability to support them.

Since those radios use tubes, few transistors and no integrated circuits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.