Wish list, all in one spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Ok, the wish list for things to be added or in the next gen scanner. This thread should not be used to complain about other models or what was promised.

So be respectful, and let the manufactures know what you want.

Be realistic, DC to light, full decoding of all signals, including encrypted, in a portable that lasts 365 days on a single charge while maintaining 110% performance, which can be recharged in a day on a foggy day via built in solar 1 cm panel.
Again be realistic.

My wish list, not in order;
1. Yes, Digital, P25 I and II, DMR, EDACS (not a big thing for me), NXDN. Fusion, IDAC, etc. Yes all the popular digital modes
2. CTCCS/DSC decoding
3. Ability to import/input a repeaters input of a repeater. (So when you want to listen to the input, you can with a simple button push, not just Ham)
4. MDC decoding , Meaning at a minimum the Unit ID, and emergency (Man down) decoding.
5. Full Wifi support, including via wifi, programming, Meta-data, Audio, etc.
6. Dual VFO, which allows FTO, while scanning. IE it scans channels (Freqs, while receiving a limited FTO freqs looking for a tone or WX alert tone). Allows for the scanner to function normally while “monitoring” for certain tones and then alerts.
7. DB download weekly
8. Include a GPS puck, built in as part of the unit. We aren’t asking for 3” accuracy.
9. Big wish, that if I have several of the same scanner, with proper settings, they would communicate to avoid duplication of the received signal. IE Scanner A. receives a signal on a programmed channel, Scanner B ignores that signal and continues scanning.
10. Better decoding which does not really need to have Threshold adjusted manually.
11. Simulcast problems fixed, LSM.
12. Honestly, recording on the SD card isn’t that important to me, but may be to others.
13. Loss of power SD card issues. Need I say more?
14. Ability to remotely log in to your scanner and change everything, not just on your own network.
15. Realize ”I” products (Apple) shouldn’t get the treatment they have gotten. Release Apple apps, Android, and Win all at the same time.
16. Buying a flagship scanner, should receive all updates, free, including additional functionality. A flagship is by its name should be top of the line till replaced, which should take a few years.
What would you add?

mciupa

Database Admin
What are you willing to pay for all of this?

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty happy with my current 436HP (w/internal GPS mod), so Uniden has their work cut out for them in order for me to retire it and plunk down hard earned cash on a new one. That said, here's what I want to see in the next Uniden scanner:

In no particular order....

GPS
It's been well proven that integrating GPS into a scanner not only works, but works extremely well. Internally for the handheld version, and "one cord solution" for the base/mobile version (see BT885, but make the puck smaller).

Better Screen
I'm happy with the size and orientation on the 436, so what I'm looking for is something easier on the eyes as far as readability and tolerance for cold. The dash on my car makes use of OLED (I think) displays and doesn't show any lag or distortion in temperatures as low as the single digits. It doesn't have to be color (see HP-1/2) but black with white/greyish lettering would work fantastic, especially at night.

I have little experience with the 536, but the next base/mobile version should have a bigger screen.

True Remote Head
This applies to the base/mobile version. I use a 436 in my car since the 536 doesn't have a true remote head. Sure, the WiFi solution is kinda cool with it being wireless and all, but I've been around electronic devices for quite some time now and have found that wireless either works beautifully or is an absolute nightmare. A detachable faceplate/remote head is certainly within Uniden's capabilities and they don't have to ditch the WiFi for those that like that method.

I'd rather use a base in the car (for audio purposes), so if this doesn't happen, I'm likely to pass on the next scanner, even the handheld.

SD Card Location
The location for the Micro SD card on the handheld sucks. Should be easy to design the next handheld with a slot on the side (covered by a door or rubber gasket) that allows for install/removal, without having to remove the batteries and gingerly manipulate a very flimsy locking mechanism.

NXDN
Personally, I don't have a need or a want for this capability...yet. However, the constant wailing and gnashing of teeth over adding this technology is getting irritating. If the next Uniden scanner doesn't have this capability (either included or as a optional paid upgrade, see DMR, ProVoice) then...well...Uniden shouldn't even bother releasing the next scanner at all.

Support for Mac
It shouldn't be that difficult to have a Mac version of the programming software. Hell, it should have happened with the Sentinel release for the x36HPs.

Simulcast
It's improving, but more needs to be done. If there isn't great improvement over the x36HP line, then Uniden shouldn't even bother releasing the next scanner at all.

radio3353

Simulcast
It's improving, but more needs to be done. If there isn't great improvement over the x36HP line, then Uniden shouldn't even bother releasing the next scanner at all.

This caught my eye. What exactly has improved regarding simulcast reception? Uniden has made no changes. Please share your experience.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
My 436 handles simulcast better than my 396 in my area, but it is by far not solved. For example, the Douglas North simulcast site on the CO-DTRS system is virtually unusable when mobile on my 396XT. With the 436, reception is better, but still has issues. I "solved" my lingering simulcast issue by simply locking out that particular site.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
6. Dual VFO, which allows FTO, while scanning. IE it scans channels (Freqs, while receiving a limited FTO freqs looking for a tone or WX alert tone). Allows for the scanner to function normally while “monitoring” for certain tones and then alerts.

9. Big wish, that if I have several of the same scanner, with proper settings, they would communicate to avoid duplication of the received signal. IE Scanner A. receives a signal on a programmed channel, Scanner B ignores that signal and continues scanning.

A better approach that would solve both of these, would be to have the scanner chassis support multiple receiver modules that would plug into the motherboard in a manner similar to the way expansion or memory cards plug in to a desktop computer motherboard. The controller on the motherboard decides which receiver monitors which channel, FTO, or Close Call, and prevents duplicate scanning of the same frequency.

Make the receiver modules common between handheld and desktop/mobile units, but have more slots in the mobile/desktop than in the handheld, say 2-4 in the handheld, and up to 8 in the mobile/desktop. To reduce upfront cost, the scanner could be sold with 1-2 receiver modules installed, with additional modules available as an extra-cost upgrade as the user's budget allows.

Build in an audio buffer so that if multiple receivers are active at the same time, the audio is buffered and transmissions are played in their entirety in the order received. Make the buffer large enough to hold 10-30 minutes of audio, and don't clear old items from the buffer until room is needed for new traffic. This would allow the user to rewind back to the beginning and listen to recent traffic similar to Replay, but without stalling the scanner (new transmissions could be added to the buffer while older ones are playing).

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Simulcast, Simulcast, and Simulcast
It doesn't matter what other bells and whistles that are being added at this point if the scanner continues to have a *known defect* built-in with signals that are literally saturating the spectrum. Not looking to buy another paperweight.

Patched Talkgroup Following
Special note for P25 systems as certain scanners supports all other systems, but mysteriously does not handle P25 patching. For those who do not understand what this means, most P25 systems patch talkgroups together essentially by redirecting the patched talkgroup(s) to a completely different talkgroup. If a scanner does not follow patches and does not have that particular different talkgroup programmed, then it ends up ignoring the resulting traffic until the patch is released.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
What are you willing to pay for all of this?

10 Years ago what would a scanner like the BCD536HP cost? Again, looking at what people want in the future.

Is it just me or am I interpreting that wrong?

Be realistic, DC to light, full decoding of all signals, including encrypted, in a portable that lasts 365 days on a single charge while maintaining 110% performance, which can be recharged in a day on a foggy day via built in solar 1 cm panel.

Read. Sarcasm

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
To add to my list, the following isn't so much a scanner feature as it is a feature of the software used to program it.

To expand on my Sentinel suggestion earlier, it would be very useful to be able to define GPS areas visually in addition to the current method of manually entering custom Lat/Long coordinates. For example, enter a city/town, a county, a state and see it's boundaries on a simple map. Then the user can "draw" the area they want the system, department, whatever, to be active using either a circle w/centerpoint or a rectangle.

Attachments

• Example.jpg
    Example.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 364

KB7MIB

Although I don't have any of the Uniden scanners, I'm not going to be picky as to whether Uniden or Whistler offers these features first. (I have a Radio Shack PRO-43, a Radio Shack PRO-2020, and a GRE PSR 500.)

Dual Receive

How many of you listen to the California Highway Patrol, or the New Mexico State Police, or any other agency that utilizes a 2 frequency simplex system? (Base to Car & Car to Base.)
How about a desktop/mobile scanner with dual receive? Receiver A can be programmed with the Base to Car frequency, and receiver B, which can be selectively slaved to receiver A via a menu/software setting for this purpose, would be programmed with the Car to Base frequency, allowing easier monitoring of the 2 frequencies without having to play with the delay time, or missing a reply. (Assuming that you're within reception range of the mobile unit, of course.)
For those of us who don't have a two frequency simplex system to monitor, we could monitor 2 seperate agencies at the same time, or two seperate channels of the same agency at the same time, with or without slaving receiver B to receiver A.

-----

700/800 MHz only

How about a scanner that only covers the 700 and 800 MHz bands, in their entirety to include the mobile input ranges, minus the usual cellular exclusion of course, that has commercial grade simulcast reception, and includes only those modes typically used in the 700 and 800 MHz bands. (Analog conventional NFM, mixed mode Motorola trunking, P25 Phase I conventional and trunking, P25 Phase II trunking I think are the only 4 modes used in these two ranges.)
If you rarely monitor VHF or UHF, why pay for those ranges that you aren't using?

-----

MURS transceiver with a VHF-only scanner with NOAA monitoring/SAME alerting; GMRS transceiver with a UHF-only scanner. True dual-receive.

I've mentioned these before. In the Australian market, Uniden produced a couple of mobile UHF CB's that included an analog only, UHF only scanner. How about full featured mobile MURS and GMRS transceivers, coupled with a full featured but VHF only and UHF only scanners, respectively? It would have all of the capabilities of the top line scanner(s), but would only cover the associated limited frequency range. (108-174 MHz VHF maximum, and 380-512 MHz UHF maximum.)

The MURS transceiver would have all 5 channels, and front panel programming for 50 tone CTCSS/104 code DCS with split tone capabilities, and a 16 key DTMF for SelCall. It would also have a third receiver for monitoring NOAA/NWS transmissions with SAME alerting capabilities.

The GMRS transceiver would cover the first 7 shared channels with a menu selectable power output so the user could adjust the TPO to the antenna gain and coax loss to achieve the 5 watt ERP limit, have receive-only coverage of the 7 FRS-only channels, and the 8 main GMRS channels with selectable regular/narrow bandwidth, 1 button selection of repeater or talk-around operation, 1 button input (reverse) monitoring, and 3-4 power levels (5-15-45 or 5-10-20-40 watts). It also should have front panel programming for 50 tone CTCSS/104 code DCS with split tone capabilities, and a 16 key DTMF for SelCall.

Both should have programmable busy channel lockout, time out timers and 1 button CSQ monitoring.

John
Peoria, AZ

Last edited:

Ubbe

Put in rgb smt LEDs to light up the display so everyone can choose their own display color and have the whole display work as an alert indicator with different (blinking) colors for different alerts.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Put in rgb smt LEDs to light up the display so everyone can choose their own display color and have the whole display work as an alert indicator with different (blinking) colors for different alerts.

They already have that with the bcd996p2 of which I proudly own

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Triple conversion (maybe even with IF shift)

Split mount mobile! Lots of modern vehicles barely have room for a control head, let alone a radio chassis mounted where you can see the display.

Status
Not open for further replies.