Wish list, all in one spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Adjustable AGC. Adjustable filters. Simulcast. D-Star, YSF, NXDN. GPS. Multi-color display and multi-color alert lamp/ring. Louder speaker on the portable. Bring back the band scope, and throw in a color waterfall. Faster scan rate. 200 channels per second. 4 AA batteries or optional lithium ion battery pack. $499 for handheld, $599 for the base. Most of the costs would go into the licensing of the vocoder from DVSI.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty happy with my current 436HP (w/internal GPS mod), so Uniden has their work cut out for them in order for me to retire it and plunk down hard earned cash on a new one. That said, here's what I want to see in the next Uniden scanner:

In no particular order....

GPS
It's been well proven that integrating GPS into a scanner not only works, but works extremely well. Internally for the handheld version, and "one cord solution" for the base/mobile version (see BT885, but make the puck smaller).

Better Screen
I'm happy with the size and orientation on the 436, so what I'm looking for is something easier on the eyes as far as readability and tolerance for cold. The dash on my car makes use of OLED (I think) displays and doesn't show any lag or distortion in temperatures as low as the single digits. It doesn't have to be color (see HP-1/2) but black with white/greyish lettering would work fantastic, especially at night.

I have little experience with the 536, but the next base/mobile version should have a bigger screen.

True Remote Head
This applies to the base/mobile version. I use a 436 in my car since the 536 doesn't have a true remote head. Sure, the WiFi solution is kinda cool with it being wireless and all, but I've been around electronic devices for quite some time now and have found that wireless either works beautifully or is an absolute nightmare. A detachable faceplate/remote head is certainly within Uniden's capabilities and they don't have to ditch the WiFi for those that like that method.

I'd rather use a base in the car (for audio purposes), so if this doesn't happen, I'm likely to pass on the next scanner, even the handheld.

SD Card Location
The location for the Micro SD card on the handheld sucks. Should be easy to design the next handheld with a slot on the side (covered by a door or rubber gasket) that allows for install/removal, without having to remove the batteries and gingerly manipulate a very flimsy locking mechanism.

NXDN
Personally, I don't have a need or a want for this capability...yet. However, the constant wailing and gnashing of teeth over adding this technology is getting irritating. If the next Uniden scanner doesn't have this capability (either included or as a optional paid upgrade, see DMR, ProVoice) then...well...Uniden shouldn't even bother releasing the next scanner at all.

Support for Mac
It shouldn't be that difficult to have a Mac version of the programming software. Hell, it should have happened with the Sentinel release for the x36HPs.

Simulcast
It's improving, but more needs to be done. If there isn't great improvement over the x36HP line, then Uniden shouldn't even bother releasing the next scanner at all.

Guess I should update. The SDS100 apparently covers the Simulcast, NXDN, and Better Screen items I listed a while back. TBD items are the Support for Mac and SD Card Location. Sadly, Uniden choose not to include internal GPS or devise a "one-cord solution" for their next handheld. A big deal breaker for me, even with the white on black screen option available for the SDS100.

Looking forward to a base/mobile version of the SDS, but it must have the True Remote Head and one-cord GPS solution or I'll pass on that one as well.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I plan on devising an internal GPS mod for the SDS100 as soon as I can acquire one.

Ubbe

"Timed pause" are the delay settings that have a negative sign in front of them, -5 and -10
I would like to have a -30 setting as well.

/Ubbe

RadioDaze

What happens to me is that I'll pause on a channel to listen to some specific traffic, but then maybe I'm not next to the radio to resume the scan when that incident is finished, and I've usually forgotten about it. So I'll end up missing everything while it's parked on that channel or TG.

Status
Not open for further replies.