Wish me luck, am mounting my discone on the roof this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xray

Window for mounting antennas on the roof is closing quick, gotta get it up this week. This is a diamond discone have had it for decades, when I got my roof done last year the roof guys just cut it lose and pitched it off the roof, I was pissed but I forgot to tell them it wasn't junk. Was bent up and bruised but I rehabbed it [after taking a look at what they go for new]. So I bought 1 50 ft run of WILSON-400 Ultra Low Loss Coax Cable and am about ready to go.

Mast was 20 ft, I clipped it down to about 15 ft for no particular reason. Roof is a PITA to get on, I have to climb out my bedroom window onto a porch roof then basically jump and belly flop onto the roof, holding on to a clunky gutter for leverage. Pitch isn't bad, I can scramble up there on 2 feet. I already went up there last week and attached the mounts to my chimney, I wanted to use banding straps but I couldn't borrow a kit from work. 3 clamps, I ended up just using ratchet straps with the banding undernsath the straps, I was worried about the corners eventually fraying and shredding on the chimney, the metal banding under the straps will prevent that and actually, I think 3 straps is overkill I was going to use 2 but I already had the mounts and straps and figured I ought to use them. I am going to put the antenna together on the ground and leave the cable dangling, tied up. Then all I have to do is haul it to the peak, drop it in the waiting ubolts and tighten them up [Other option would have been to put the mounts on the mast then fastening them to the chimney, I think that would have been impossible and very dangerous for 1 guy, I would have needed someone to hold the mast while I strapped it up to the chimney]. From there I will run the cable to a vent in my attic at the side of the house and dangle it in front of the vent, and hopefully I'll be able to fish it into the vent, through the ceiling and into my room. If not, I'll have to obtain a 40 ft ladder, I forgot how I did it last time.

I'll post a pic if I can when I'm done, I typically don't take my phone with me when climbing a roof, but I'm geeked up about having my discone back. Used it for years and years with my old 2006, now I have a SDS 100 and will likely get a 200 too.

Xray

I'm a journeyman union carpenter, not saying I'm immune to accidents but I am very comfortable monkeying around at heights, in fact I enjoy it. I'm just trying to figure out how to get the mast with discone on it up to where I can haul it to the peak, might have to resort to asking for help or might just use a rope to haul it up.

majoco

Stirrer
Just remember, one hand for me and one hand for the job. When it gets really tough, both hands for me and f*** the job.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Discone's a great antenna, I have one, a Daimond, mounted on the chimney with two strap mounts, more than enough to hold the antenna in position. Remember, safety first.

Xray

Making some progress, got the antenna together on the ground and thats a big step for me. bunch of little things that needed done and I have been putting it off forever. One of my old mast mount ubolts froze and I had to cut it off, went to home depots and not only did they not have the size I needed but they were $4 each, I went into sticker shock and headed over to Lowes. They has a much better selection and they were $2 each, but still the legs were too thick to fit in the mount holes. So I got them anyhow and just drilled out larger holes for the ubolts, 1 problem solved.

Next, all the elements were bent up and crusty at the ends so I took them all out, straightened them out best as I could, cleaned the ends and got rid of any gunk/old sealant I could find. Is pretty tough dealing with this thing, its like a semi-rigid octopus and there is no good way to lay it down while putting it back together. I made the coax connection and sealed the tube up, the set screw that holds the tube [and the vertical element] in place was also froze and that was one big hassle in itself. Tube would not fit over the sleeve with the frozen screw protruding [it is meant to set both of them at once], so I had to grind that down and drill another hole, then hunt for a screw that would fit. When I finally almost had everything together and had to screw in the last element, the dinky little set screw for it was nowhere in sight, so now its back to a box store to see if I can locate one of those, then she'll be ready to haul up to the roof once and for all.

Attachments

• IMG_4461.jpg
    IMG_4461.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 62

Xray

Finally got her done, discone once again in action.
I was dreading doing this for some reason, I really overthought it it was easy, just scooted up there, planted it, tightened it down. Only snag I had was I had to feed the cable through a hole I drilled through the attic, couldn't quite reach it leaning over the peak as far as I safely could but I managed to thread it through the hole. Would have been ideal if I had someone in there pulling it while I fed it through but I didn't so I fed as much as I could in there, then went in the attic and pulled it through. Cable was coiled up a bit as I feared and I thought I'd have to start from scratch, go back up, uncoil it and get someone in the attic to pull it but I managed to muscle it through.

Very happy, haven't tried it yet but no reason why I shouldn't be snagging more signals than I was before. Supposed to be freezing with snow in a couple days so I was under the gun, probably would have had to wait to spring if I didn't do it today.

Attachments

• IMG_4530.jpg
    IMG_4530.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4531.jpg
    IMG_4531.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 46

Xray

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Enjoy your antenna, hope you hear lots of interesting comms. Installation looks very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.